St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the bolded very hard to believe. If true, then both Sturgeon and Graue should be asked to leave.

It's absolute corn-fed hogwash. No such conversation took place.

And what - exactly- did the St Henry parents have to apologize about in regards to their own parents behavior? Nothing that's what.

Not that I condone running the score up but if he played all 15 players and they played hard i have no issue with it. This is high school. I've been to middle school games were teams are getting beat by 30 to 40 points. I wasn't at the game so i don't know how they pressed and it seems we are getting different opinions on what actually happened. If they weren't stealing the ball and getting lay up after lay up so be it. Would it have been better to get a 20 point lead and just pass the ball around for 5 minutes at a time to run the clock out? What do you tell the reserves and jv players when they go into the game? Maybe I'm missing something but why is St. Henry the only team getting ripped over running the score up. I think last week according to other threads on here 3 games stand out to me. Why isn't Holmes and Walton getting called out? Were those scores justified? Just asking.

Holmes 79 and Western 30

Holmes 71 and Beechwood 34

Walton 75 and Owen Co. 34

All teams have players vying for varsity time. The difference is most coaches can manage this and still win with class and sportsmanship regardless of the score.

Just thought I would throw this out there since folks are playing the "Christian" card....

If Jesus played basketball, and His team (for fun, let's call them the saints) was playing any team named the devils. (i.e. Blue Devils, Demons, etc...)

You can be sure that Jesus would press every possession and run the score up. Just sayin....:lol2:

I have no idea how this fits exactly in this scenario. Just thought a little humor would lighten the mood. And by the way Jesus would be sporting the James Harden like beard. And Lebron would no longer have the market on "The King".

It's absolute corn-fed hogwash. No such conversation took place.

And what - exactly- did the St Henry parents have to apologize about in regards to their own parents behavior? Nothing that's what.

I heard it from a St. Henry staff member. He said his coach was trying to embarrass Villa's coach.

Edited by Wildcat47

I've seen several threads like this over the years, rarely have I seen so many posts that refer to the winning team parents apologizing to the losing team for the score...that's telling.

If this was intentional, rather than our second 5 being better than your first 5, then St Henry needs to address. Because this was two Catholic schools in the Diocese, and the amount of parental feedback, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one escalated to Diocesean "management" at some point. :popcorn:

The FACTS are below. I saw the game and I've seen the HUDDLE film.

The PRESS was on until the last 3 minutes of the game when players #11-15 came into the game at which time the defense became a soft full court man to man.

The score was run up. It's High School - message sent loud and clear - whatever that was supposed to be - you can play hard in a half court defense once the game is no longer in question, say 35 point lead and the running clock begins which in this case was midway 3rd quarter. There was no reason to continue with a full court, in your face, deny the point guard press and pick up easy layups.

As for the St. Henry coaching staff and administration, I do not know Coach Sturgeon very well, but I believe that Coach Buerger, Coach Smart, Mr. Graue and Mr. Otte would and DO have better judgment. In this case, I think Coach Sturgeon used poor judgment...hopefully this will not happen again.

Rose, Rengering and an African American female that I do not know

End of 1st quarter - 10 team fouls for one, 9 for another

End of 1st half - 30 total fouls, both teams in double bonus basically entire 2nd quarter

Score at half - 48-22

Final score - 79-34

Outcome in 2nd quarter and definitely by half was never in doubt. Villa had 5 FGs entire game and made 24 FTs. St. Henry did press hard the entire 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter was more a lazy full court man to man.

Paul rotated his starters and a second group of 5 religiously through first 3 quarters. Starters began fourth quarter, then came next 5, the last group of 5 (guessing JV) finished the last 3-4 minutes.

But to be honest, and for whatever reason, statement or not, and most St. Henry parents were also in agreement and observing the fact that St. Henry DID pour it on.

Villa is a very young and inexperienced team. They have 7 high school players and 5 middle school players. Villa's tallest is 5'7'', SHDHS has a DI player who is 6'2". All they could have and should had done to beat Villa was feed Neace the ball all night and she could have scored 49 points. But it seemed Coach Strurgeiion had different plans.

[B]So I take it that if - in fact -Sturgeon had done nothing but instruct his players to feed Neace and she ended up with 49 points that you would be OK with that too? No, I didn't think so. [/b]

According to several players on the team, Coach Strurgeon had asked SHDHS Athletic Director Jay Graue (who was at the game) if it was ok to run up the score and not let up on Villa BECAUSE of Coach Coburn. Graue gave him the ok. Every player on the team knew from the start of the game what the plan was. Eight of the seniors on the team had played with Coburn, most liked him but few did not and were willing to go ahead with the plan to embarrass Coburn.

This is utter baloney.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
fixed quote tags

So my little joke about Jesus didn't do much. That's cool.

I'll say it like this then. STOP using Christian and religion and catholic schools as factors for more sportsmanship required. That is silly. Who cares if it is a Christian school, catholic school or public school. The standard of what good sportsmanship is should be the same wherever you are. It is not like anything becomes that much more "acceptable" or "unacceptable" because of where it is or who it is.

Remember, it's basketball...competition. If you want rec league, go to church camp. It's hard for me to throw stones at St Henry here. It might be different if it was one of those 99-5 type scores.

Can't anyone just say...."well, we just got thumped. That team came to play." and leave it at that. Do you have to throw stones, make public accusations, bring peoples religion in it to throw condemnation, and even think that the catholic leadership respond or get involved?

Yikes.

St. Henry is obviously the better team. The game ended like most people expected. They should not change the way the play despite their opponent. The point is that when a game is in hand, in every sport, there are measures a coach can take to finish the game with some class.

Forget all the other baloney - forget any other names - ultimately, there are many things that Coach Sturgeon could have chosen to do different during this game...the one that sticks out is to call off the full court, trapping in your face, no holds bar press when the 35 point running clock has started. At that point, you prove the other team struggles to get past half court? You can make layups? Play hard nosed, half court o and d and finish the game heads up for both team.

If you have an axe to grind, take it to the parking lot and leave the players out of it.

[quote=sufside;5368916

Villa is a very young and inexperienced team. They have 7 high school players and 5 middle school players. Villa's tallest is 5'7'', SHDHS has a DI player who is 6'2". All they could have and should had done to beat Villa was feed Neace the ball all night and she could have scored 49 points. But it seemed Coach Strurgeiion had different plans.

[B]So I take it that if - in fact -Sturgeon had done nothing but instruct his players to feed Neace and she ended up with 49 points that you would be OK with that too? No, I didn't think so. [/b]

According to several players on the team, Coach Strurgeon had asked SHDHS Athletic Director Jay Graue (who was at the game) if it was ok to run up the score and not let up on Villa BECAUSE of Coach Coburn. Graue gave him the ok. Every player on the team knew from the start of the game what the plan was. Eight of the seniors on the team had played with Coburn, most liked him but few did not and were willing to go ahead with the plan to embarrass Coburn.

This is utter baloney.

St. Henry is obviously the better team. The game ended like most people expected. They should not change the way the play despite their opponent. The point is that when a game is in hand, in every sport, there are measures a coach can take to finish the game with some class.

Forget all the other baloney - forget any other names - ultimately, there are many things that Coach Sturgeon could have chosen to do different during this game...the one that sticks out is to call off the full court, trapping in your face, no holds bar press when the 35 point running clock has started. At that point, you prove the other team struggles to get past half court? You can make layups? Play hard nosed, half court o and d and finish the game heads up for both team.

If you have an axe to grind, take it to the parking lot and leave the players out of it.

I never said I agreed with the press- I pretty much said way up top early in this silly thread that I wouldn't have made that call.

What I don't agree with here is the hogwash implicating not just the AD, but the girls themselves, in some kind of conspiratorial agreement to embarrass Coburn.

Edited by True blue (and gold)