Do all private schools accept children with disabilities?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assumption High School Receives Beacon of Hope Award

March 2, 2006- Louisville, Kentucky- The Learning Disabilities Association of Kentucky (LDA) honored Assumption High School with a Beacon of Hope Award on Friday, February 24, in recognition of the school’s learning differences program.

The Making a Difference Award honors a school whose primary mission is not one of special education, but whose faculty and staff work separately with special needs students. According to LDA, this new award spotlights an institution that “believes in the potential of all students, regardless of their learning differences, as they prepare for their successful place in society.” Assumption is the first school to receive the award.

Assumption High School ’s Post-Secondary Education Program (PSP) was designed to support students with diagnosed learning differences as they participate fully in regular pre-college curriculum classes. Shelia Palmer, learning differences teacher, believes “there’s no reason not to be successful at Assumption High School.” To enable her students’ success, the school provides in-services for all teachers, offers a support program for parents and meets regularly with students enrolled in PSP

Do they offer special education?

To what degree?

I am interested in any information out there on the application process to private schools and guidelines to being accepted.

Depends on the disability usually and if they can function in a reg ed environment as many learning or physiaclly disabled kids can. I know X takes many if they can cognitively read and write on any level. Severe profound kids get more service for free in public schools. Physical therapy, speech, OT and more.

Trinity and Assumption both offer Learning Differences programs.

I'll try to dig up an article recently published about accolades the Assumption program has garnered.

St. X has a the same program with a large number of students who are serviced under a sort of 504 plan.

St. X has a the same program with a large number of students who are serviced under a sort of 504 plan.

Obviously, being more familiar with Trinity and Assumption, I didn't want to speak erroneously of any other schools' programs.

Don't bother. It will just be used to fill some anti-Catholic School propaganda. I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop in this thread.

Just trying to get as many facts as possible for future discussions runfirst. I have heard that they don't accept them at all, and I wanted to find out for myself.

I do find it a little disturbing that private schools or religous based schools do not make a better effort to educate those with disabilities. Being that my career in in this area.

I would be curious to know if these schools could recieve any type of federal or state approval or support also, with all of the no child left behind laws and such.

Just trying to get as many facts as possible for future discussions runfirst. I have heard that they don't accept them at all, and I wanted to find out for myself.

I do find it a little disturbing that private schools or religous based schools do not make a better effort to educate those with disabilities. Being that my career in in this area.

I would be curious to know if these schools could recieve any type of federal or state approval or support also, with all of the no child left behind laws and such.

Can you give me a better idea of the type of disabilities to which you refer? The Trinity and Assumption programs are excellent, but I'm getting the feeling those programs are either not what you mean, or we haven't provided enough information....