Do all private schools accept children with disabilities?

I agree they sound like good programs but I don't exactly think that is what I mean by special education. Meaning serving students that have an actual disability in reading, writing, math, Behavior disorder, MMD. The kind of kids I am speaking of might not even be able to read, or add due to a lack of Mental capacity or ability. It could be just that people with these disabilities just do not have the backing or want to get a private eduation.

Maybe a scenario would help: say Johnny has a parent that is an alumni of a private school and he wants his son to go to the same school he did, the problem is Johnny is MMD which means he has an IQ that is 55, with the normal semi-intilligent kid has lets say a 85-100 IQ. Johnny reads on about a 2nd grade level, and can't write complex sentences, he can do basic math operations but has extreme trouble completing any type of simple algebra equations. He also has trouble understanding the consequence that are conncected with his behavior and will need some serious behavior modifications. He is not going to be to successful without some major help or even without an alternate program than the normal student.

What is available for johnny at these schools. Would he even be accepted?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they sound like good programs but I don't exactly think that is what I mean by special education. Meaning serving students that have an actual disability in reading, writing, math, Behavior disorder, MMD. The kind of kids I am speaking of might not even be able to read, or add due to a lack of Mental capacity or ability. It could be just that people with these disabilities just do not have the backing or want to get a private eduation.

Maybe a scenario would help: say Johnny has a parent that is an alumni of a private school and he wants his son to go to the same school he did, the problem is Johnny is MMD which means he has an IQ that is 55, with the normal semi-intilligent kid has lets say a 85-100 IQ. Johnny reads on about a 2nd grade level, and can't write complex sentences, he can do basic math operations but has extreme trouble completing any type of simple algebra equations. He also has trouble understanding the consequence that are conncected with his behavior and will need some serious behavior modifications. He is not going to be to successful without some major help or even without an alternate program than the normal student.

What is available for johnny at these schools. Would he even be accepted?

I can't answer those questions fully, because I've never had direct experience with those situations. I CAN tell you this:

There are children with behavioral disorders in both of the schools I mentioned.

Yes, there are students with actual reading, writing and math "disabilities".

Because the programs at these schools do not so much provide "alternate" programs for the students, but rather forcus on the individual strengths and weaknesses of each student, I don't know how anyone on the outside would be able to ascertain the level of learning difference a child at one of these schools may have. Not trying to be flip, but the key component of these programs is that they don't provide "separate" programs, but help the child succeed within the normal school situation.

I would think that each individual would be assessed and advised at the time the results of their placement test were discussed with the family. Just as with any school, I'm sure there are some situations that the programs at Trinity and Assumption would NOT be able to meet the needs of the child. But, if I'm not mistaken, even public schools have some limitations. Not EVERY public school can meet the needs of EVERY child with a learning disability.

I would think that each individual would be assessed and advised at the time the results of their placement test were discussed with the family. Just as with any school, I'm sure there are some situations that the programs at Trinity and Assumption would NOT be able to meet the needs of the child. But, if I'm not mistaken, even public schools have some limitations. Not EVERY public school can meet the needs of EVERY child with a learning disability. Posted by Rockmom.

You are right that not every public school can supply services for every student, However law requires them to either supply the needed services or pay for the student to attend some where that can. If a student moves in and has some need, it must be met or the school system is in serious trouble. Those types of responsibilities do not seem to be in place at Private schools.

I would think that each individual would be assessed and advised at the time the results of their placement test were discussed with the family. Just as with any school, I'm sure there are some situations that the programs at Trinity and Assumption would NOT be able to meet the needs of the child. But, if I'm not mistaken, even public schools have some limitations. Not EVERY public school can meet the needs of EVERY child with a learning disability. Posted by Rockmom.

You are right that not every public school can supply services for every student, However law requires them to either supply the needed services or pay for the student to attend some where that can. If a student moves in and has some need, it must be met or the school system is in serious trouble. Those types of responsibilities do not seem to be in place at Private schools.

Not knowing nearly as much about Public schools as Private, may I ask this question?

If only one student has such a need, is the school still required to supply the student services? Also, being as the public schools in Jefferson County are open enrollment, I'm more familiar with the type of situation that allows a student to attend the school that best fits their needs, if space is available. Do different laws apply for different types of school districts? And, are the laws applicable to school districts, or individual schools?

I can not speak for open enrollment districts but for other public schools number is not a factor if the student is in your district it must be provided. For example I taught a few years ago in a school that had a blind deaf student show up one day the only one in a series of years a week later they had hired, 2 full time aides to deal with him along with a consultant to train the staff and help with services a very expensive transaction. I would say that in an open enrollment situation parents would have to be provided with transportation or have the right to refuse attending another school.

A 504 is not considered special education in the state of Kentucky those are usually for kids who have not scored low enough to receive services or qualify for an actual disability.

No, it is what the government requires to be eligible for funds under ADA. There will be no IEP's in private schools usually because they are funded differently.

Your arguments are somewhat vague, privates do not get many public funds(if any, I know X does not)(could but don't) so why should they have the same responsibilities, they are private. They offer a service to kids who want to go to college, the private hs's are colleg prep curriculum schools. Will they take that kid, sure he will be given a chance. Will they self provide many accomodations along the way, some within reach of staff but it will not go as far as having their own reader and scribe. Can thet kid make it at X, sure if they are a hard working kid they can survivie with effort. I teach mmd kids and they vary as much as the reg ed kids in ability. The private environment will actually help that kid very much with the regimented routines they have and the solid teaching. He will be in a level ( X has 5 different levels) with kids at or above his abilities. But why would you send him there for 8500.00 when he can go to teh public school near by and get so many more services that you and I pay for for free. You are talking of kid that will most likely not go to college so would I send him to a college prep school just b/c I wnet there. It happens all the time and the privates take it on, is it the best decision, probably not. :thumb:

Your arguments are somewhat vague, privates do not get many public funds(if any, I know X does not)(could but don't) so why should they have the same responsibilities, they are private. They offer a service to kids who want to go to college, the private hs's are colleg prep curriculum schools. Will they take that kid, sure he will be given a chance. Will they self provide many accomodations along the way, some within reach of staff but it will not go as far as having their own reader and scribe. Can thet kid make it at X, sure if they are a hard working kid they can survivie with effort. I teach mmd kids and they vary as much as the reg ed kids in ability. The private environment will actually help that kid very much with the regimented routines they have and the solid teaching. He will be in a level ( X has 5 different levels) with kids at or above his abilities. But why would you send him there for 8500.00 when he can go to teh public school near by and get so many more services that you and I pay for for free. You are talking of kid that will most likely not go to college so would I send him to a college prep school just b/c I wnet there. It happens all the time and the privates take it on, is it the best decision, probably not. :thumb:

No one is arguing here man sorry you took it that way, I guess you would send a student like that there the same reason you would any other time, I personally wouldn't, but some people would. I would say that most that send there kids to privates, feel it is a better environment with superior teaching or whatever along with religous and moral value, wouldn't someone of that belief want that for their kids even if they are low functioning. As far as funding I was simply asking a question. I have very limited knowledge of how these schools run or how they are funded etc.... I don't think I have been vague. I have some pretty strong opinions on the lack of special or needy kids in your schools but I don't wish to make them an issue in this thread.

They offer a service to kids who want to go to college, the private hs's are colleg prep curriculum schools. Will they take that kid, sure he will be given a chance. Will they self provide many accomodations along the way, some within reach of staff but it will not go as far as having their own reader and scribe. Can thet kid make it at X, sure if they are a hard working kid they can survivie with effort. I teach mmd kids and they vary as much as the reg ed kids in ability. The private environment will actually help that kid very much with the regimented routines they have and the solid teaching. He will be in a level ( X has 5 different levels) with kids at or above his abilities. But why would you send him there for 8500.00 when he can go to teh public school near by and get so many more services that you and I pay for for free. You are talking of kid that will most likely not go to college so would I send him to a college prep school just b/c I wnet there. It happens all the time and the privates take it on, is it the best decision, probably not. :thumb:

Trinity offers 9 levels and is not solely a college prep school. My uncle helped start the program in the early 70s. Trinity recognized early on that every student is not destined to attend college. I know for a fact that public schools often encourage parents to send their child to Trinity if he is dyslexic. I know personally three students who were encouraged to attend Trinity for this reason.

St. X still has a minimum score allowed on their entrance exam as I know of a family that was told "Johnny" should look elsewhere. He's doing well at Trinity and has several future Trinity attendees in his family.

Trinity is fully accessible to those with physical disabilities.

Not all public schools offer the same services statewide. Money dictates what each school district can and cannot offer.

I know for a fact that public schools often encourage parents to send their child to Trinity if he is dyslexic. I know personally three students who were encouraged to attend Trinity for this reason.

Dyslexyia and other learning problems are areas that Trinity's special education department specialize in. Trinity has one or two counselors who focus soley on special education students. A few years ago, Trinity added another science lab which has computer software tailored towards students with learning disabilities. With 1400 students, it is possible for Trinity to support such a special education department. Outside of X, Assumption and Sacred Heart, I doubt too many other private schools are large enough to offer such services.

Trinity offers 9 levels and is not solely a college prep school. My uncle helped start the program in the early 70s. Trinity recognized early on that every student is not destined to attend college. I know for a fact that public schools often encourage parents to send their child to Trinity if he is dyslexic. I know personally three students who were encouraged to attend Trinity for this reason.

St. X still has a minimum score allowed on their entrance exam as I know of a family that was told "Johnny" should look elsewhere. He's doing well at Trinity and has several future Trinity attendees in his family.

Trinity is fully accessible to those with physical disabilities.

Not all public schools offer the same services statewide. Money dictates what each school district can and cannot offer.

if money dictates services the school is in violation of the law.

Just trying to get as many facts as possible for future discussions runfirst. I have heard that they don't accept them at all, and I wanted to find out for myself.

I do find it a little disturbing that private schools or religous based schools do not make a better effort to educate those with disabilities. Being that my career in in this area.

You are just trying to find faults with our schools. Disturbing... yet you admit you know nothing about our schools. And finally the other shoe drops, as I predicted. Isn't this stuff getting boring for both sides? :sleep:

Dyslexia and other learning problems are areas that Trinity's special education department specialize in. Trinity has one or two counselors who focus solely on special education students. A few years ago, Trinity added another science lab which has computer software tailored towards students with learning disabilities. With 1400 students, it is possible for Trinity to support such a special education department. Outside of X, Assumption and Sacred Heart, I doubt too many other private schools are large enough to offer such services.

Computer lab, not science lab. Sorry about the misinformation.

You are just trying to find faults with our schools. Disturbing... yet you admit you know nothing about our schools. And finally the other shoe drops, as I predicted. Isn't this stuff getting boring for both sides? :sleep:

It is why I stayed out of this one. I know of kids that have been advised (quietly) by public school people to send their kid to Trinity for the special education program. But some don't want to hear that and if they do they won't believe it. Too bad. If oldonetechnique really wanted information I'm sure Dr. Mullin would be glad to give a tour. I won't tell him to wait for the call.