Scholarships for Video Gaming?????

HoopsLady

Not only do I think this is pretty cool but I also think it is good to see our society start to accept how technology is affecting the future. If you look at the money involved in the gaming industries and things of that nature I think it is cool to see non-traditional entities say..why not? If UPike can land a Sheldon Cooper because of gaming scholarships then UPike is winning.

Hoax or not, it doesn't surprise me.

E-Sports is already the national past time in South Korea and it's becoming more and more so here. Saw a Real Sports piece last year where some world gaming championship packed the Staples Center in LA and was viewed by nearly more than 250 million people on line.

E-Sports are gaining in popularity every year, among the twenty somethings, while interest in football, basketball, and baseball are fallng off in the same age group. A gamer can make base salaries in the 6 figures and with sponsorships can make upwards of a million a year.

We move closer to a virtual existence, everyday.

Doesn't surprise me one bit and my brother, who graduated from Digipen in Seattle for grad school, would be proud.

Kid is going to wind up making way more money than me when its all said and done.

Lots of money to be made, especially when so many concepts of the video game industry are used throughout business & marketing.

Not only do I think this is pretty cool but I also think it is good to see our society start to accept how technology is affecting the future. If you look at the money involved in the gaming industries and things of that nature I think it is cool to see non-traditional entities say..why not? If UPike can land a Sheldon Cooper because of gaming scholarships then UPike is winning.

This was going to be my only point. As long as there is evidence you can attract better students , promote the brand or make a profit then I'm fine with it.

If you can't prove any of the above then I'm not.

I know the next point will be what about the sports that don't do these things either. But at least they promote a healthy lifestyle . I don't know if promoting a kid to be an awesome gamer to get to school is healthy. I could be wrong and I'm open to the idea.

So I guess my final decision would be based on the factors I listed.

Hoax or not, it doesn't surprise me.

E-Sports is already the national past time in South Korea and it's becoming more and more so here. Saw a Real Sports piece last year where some world gaming championship packed the Staples Center in LA and was viewed by nearly more than 250 million people on line.

E-Sports are gaining in popularity every year, among the twenty somethings, while interest in football, basketball, and baseball are fallng off in the same age group. A gamer can make base salaries in the 6 figures and with sponsorships can make upwards of a million a year.

We move closer to a virtual existence, everyday.

I was just getting ready to post this same thing. I was amazed when I recently saw a story about this and how arenas are selling out for gaming competitions.

I was just getting ready to post this same thing. I was amazed when I recently saw a story about this and how arenas are selling out for gaming competitions.

Friends with a guy in college who was at NKU on a Governor's Scholarship and had a 4.0 every year. He'd travel to Las Vegas, NYC, Chicago and etc. for gaming competitions and would win thousands of dollars in a weekend playing Halo. He also because had "Halo Training" and would coach people how to be better for a certain dollar amount per hour. There's tons of money in it. He was also sponsored by Red Bull.

Tons of money in gaming to be made whether as a player or as a developer/programmer.

This was going to be my only point. As long as there is evidence you can attract better students , promote the brand or make a profit then I'm fine with it.

If you can't prove any of the above then I'm not.

I know the next point will be what about the sports that don't do these things either. But at least they promote a healthy lifestyle . I don't know if promoting a kid to be an awesome gamer to get to school is healthy. I could be wrong and I'm open to the idea.

So I guess my final decision would be based on the factors I listed.

Keep in mind that the gaming industry is always looking for new employees and being a video game programmer, developer, tester, etc is becoming the new hot job and can be lucrative. These scholarships will open up the door for talent that may not have been seen otherwise.

Keep in mind that the gaming industry is always looking for new employees and being a video game programmer, developer, tester, etc is becoming the new hot job and can be lucrative. These scholarships will open up the door for talent that may not have been seen otherwise.

And as for as the programming/developing side of things, it is very difficult to get into. I think many of you would be amazed at how competitive it is.

*Cracks fingers*

Last year the biggest event online steaming event was an e-sport event(League of Legends). Yes I did watch even though the games were playing at 7 am because the games were being played overseas. Bigger than the red bull guy jumping from space. E-sports has slowly became a huge event in the world. As a previous poster said it has such a large following in S.Korea. Pshhhht popular gamers that stream themselves playing video games make more than some Doctors.

It might have changed since I last remember but a quick break down. If someone is a video game streamer and they're popular we'll go with an easy number of 10,000 people watching you play video games. During breaks of games if said streamer plays a 30 second ad that streamer gets around 3 bucks for every 1000 people watching that ad. If they play 3 ads every hour, give me an hour to calculate, boom 60 bucks an hour. Not to mention ads already on the streamers profile, and other incentives, popular guys are making around 100 bucks an hour.