MLB umpire Dale Scott comes out as gay in quietest way possible

LRCW

Major League Baseball umpire Dale Scott bleeds the green and yellow of his beloved Oregon Ducks football team, having gone to games since the Johnson Administration. He has two black Labs, Roman and Rollie, who rule his world. Using his skills as a former DJ, he has recorded the voice mail greetings for 15 of his fellow umpires. He loves history, politics and documentaries and watches every season of "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race." He has worked three World Series, three All-Star Games, two no-hitters and numerous playoff games. He is gay and married to his partner of 28 years.That last fact is just part of who Dale Scott is and has had no impact on his abilities as an umpire for the past 29 seasons. Yet it is understandably the one that most people will notice, because Scott is the first Major League Baseball umpire to publicly say he is gay while active (and the first out active male official in the NBA, NHL, NFL or MLB). This story you are reading now came about because Scott made a decision to first come out in a very quiet and understated way.

MLB umpire Dale Scott comes out as gay in quietest way possible - Outsports

And I realize this really shouldn't be news anymore. I get tired of seeing new stories come out about 1st NFL player, 1st college football or basketball player coming out, but this story brought back memories of the time Dave Concepcion was thrown out of game back in the early 80's for blowing kisses to umpire Dave Pallone from the bench. It was rumored that Pallone was gay, and obviously the players knew that. I wonder how many players already knew that Dale Scott was gay.

And I realize this really shouldn't be news anymore. I get tired of seeing new stories come out about 1st NFL player, 1st college football or basketball player coming out, but this story brought back memories of the time Dave Concepcion was thrown out of game back in the early 80's for blowing kisses to umpire Dave Pallone from the bench. It was rumored that Pallone was gay, and obviously the players knew that. I wonder how many players already knew that Dale Scott was gay.
I'm guessing if he's been with his partner for 28 yrs it wasn't a secret.

After reading this, I'm ready to unload this heavy burden I've been carrying around. I can't keep this secret I've been living with for a while now. I haven't even told my wife because I don't know how she'll take it. Thank goodness I have a vehicle like BGP to finally and publicly admit.....

I...

watch...

Premier League soccer.

Edited by OlDog75

Good for Dale Scott. I am not sure why this is news though.

I didn't take it as "news" from him. There was an article written about him and he thought it was only right to include his partner of 20+ years. No different than an article about an umpire who includes details about his wife and kids. It's on the person that wrote the article more than Dale Scott.

After reading this, I'm ready to unload this heavy burden I've been carrying around. I can't keep this secret I've been living with for a while now. I haven't even told my wife because I don't know how she'll take it. Thank goodness I have a vehicle like BGP to finally and publicly admit.....

I...

watch...

Premier League soccer.

That should be covered in Leviticus, IMO.

All I can say is who cares anymore, Im sick of hey Im out of the closet. No one really cares anymore. If you want it to be accepted SHUT UP about it and just keep being your gay self. The more attention you bring on the subject the more people get sick of it.

I mean does anyone care that Im a straight guy.

All I can say is who cares anymore, Im sick of hey Im out of the closet. No one really cares anymore. If you want it to be accepted SHUT UP about it and just keep being your gay self. The more attention you bring on the subject the more people get sick of it.

I mean does anyone care that Im a straight guy.

#whodathunkit

I didn't take it as "news" from him. There was an article written about him and he thought it was only right to include his partner of 20+ years. No different than an article about an umpire who includes details about his wife and kids. It's on the person that wrote the article more than Dale Scott.

Agreed. I think the way he was living (only in terms of keeping his personal life to himself and out of work) is the right thing to do.