The Problem With Religious Displays In Government Buildings

JokersWild24

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the people saying that things like nativity scenes and the 10 Commandments are protected religious freedoms feel the same when someone with an opposing view wants to do the same?

If you are for a posting of the Ten Commandments in the same building, then, IMO, you are being hypocritical if you don't allow this.

It's an all or nothing proposition. Every religious group gets to put up displays or none do. For me, this is why you don't let anyone do it.

There is without a doubt a "truth" in the origins of life and the Universe. What exactly that truth is, is hard to say with complete certainty.

From as far back as history can tell us, humanity, and understandably so, has done their best to try to solve that puzzle.

There's hardly a person alive who isn't at least somewhat interested in the ultimate truth, and because of, throughout time you've had people time and again take a stab at it, or at least follow what has been taught to them as the accepted truth by family, religion, and culture.

Long before the origins of Christianity etc..., you had the Ancient Greeks with certain accepted beliefs applying a god to everything imaginable in a polytheistic sort of way.

Little by little the idea of a monotheism took a firmer hold as is followed by the masses, however still to this day divided into many various separate religions with a particular disagreement about who that one god actually is, and some religions have a belief that their god has sent a human to earth to represent this god to pass along messages to humanity.

Christians say it's Jesus, Muslums say it's Muhammad, and to my understanding of Judaism is that they're still waiting for their messiah to arrive.

What I've mentioned here in my preface is simply from my humble understanding of religious history and humanity's quest for the truth.

Obviously it's way more detailed than I have described, but to avoid painstaking research and making this post any longer than it already is, I gather that most will at least agree that this picture I have painted of humanity's past quest for truth is fairly accurate in its most simple terms, even still while omitting much of its historical content, and also not to mention how this division of beliefs (although it's likely that no one has complete certain knowledge), have throughout time created cultural separation with wars and aggression, leading many times to religious prejudice and outward displays of hatred, culminating to massive human death throughout history all because of it.

What's my point?

Even with our knowledge of humanity's not so pretty past, we still to this day are a separated humanity with its various theological belief systems, and still to many various levels demonstrate how these differences in belief can cause conflict.

Do I have any faith that humanity will ultimately resolve their differences for the sake of a more peaceful existence here on earth?

Hell no.

Humanity has proven time and again that it is incapable of putting aside their religious differences for the betterment of all human kind.

It's sad, and a pit of a paradox how the law feels obliged to step in to try to mediate or control this certain division from getting out of hand.

Even with separation of church and state, you still have various majorities that have certain accepted beliefs, while different between certain masses, you still have certain beliefs by minority religions that appear to pose a threat to the more massively accepted religions causing paradoxical loopholes within the accepted or even unaccepted laws.

I don't know exactly what the solution is, and I fear that there really isn't any apparent one, but my most basic gut instincts would suggest that people just live and let live, have at their own beliefs if they wish, and do their best to avoid overbearing outward displays of pushing that belief on others, and just live with a mutual respect that we're all capable and likely to have these sort of differences, but to ultimately keep them to ourselves.

Do I think that this is an obtainable goal by the masses?

Hell no.

I will pay someone a healthy stipend to PM me a cliffs' notes version of all of B-Ball-Fan's posts. :jump:

Quite a while back I sent the manuscripts off to the editors, proofreaders, and publisher with specific requests to also include cliff notes, but I don't presently have a firm grip just yet on what the big hold up is.

In fact, I've had zero response when making numerous inquiries requesting updates on where things stand.

I'm starting to get a little worried. :idunno:

You're hired. :thumb:

Ooops...sorry, not so fast.

You've pretty much summed my post up in a nutshell, and I personally have complete confidence in your fine capabilities to hire you right on the spot...

but...

Human Resources is first requiring of you to submit to a drug test, and they will also need from you your bank account numbers for the direct deposit of your earnings.

Ooops...sorry, not so fast.

You've pretty much summed my post up in a nutshell, and I personally have complete confidence in your fine capabilities to hire you right on the spot...

but...

Human Resources is first requiring of you to submit to a drug test, and they will also need from you your bank account numbers for the direct deposit of your earnings.

Drug test, do problem.

Earnings? What's that?

I wonder how atheists/agnostics feel about this? I know the tend to oppose Judeo Christian displays. I guess in their view, Satan is a figment of our imagination also and don't want those displayed also?

I wonder how the ACLU would view this? Let them display also as fairness to all or fight that like they do Nativity scenes?