Braves Fire GM?

halfback20

The Braves have appointed President John Schuerholz, former manager Bobby Cox and John Hart to a three man committee to search for the new GM. One article I read says current assistant GM John Coppolella is the top internal candidate. I read another article speculating KC Royals GM Dayton Moore might be a candidate as well.

I think the pitching was good enough. The hitting was awful.

I agree, HB20. The team just absolutely mailed it in down the stretch (at least the hitters did--the pitching was still good). I think the Braves need a "bell cow" who doubles as a leader on the field and in the clubhouse.

Some of these are obvious, but here are my rules if I were a GM.

- Never give more than a 5 year contract to a player.

- Never give a contract to a player that will extend beyond his age 34.

- For star players, sign them to a 5 year deal two years before they become free agents. If they won't go 5, try 4, then 3. If they won't sign, then trade them before they become a free agent.

- Build the farm system with a focus on pitching.

Never made sense to me why they signed BJ Upton over Michael Bourn or trading for Ben Revere when he was with the Twins.

This remains my biggest gripe. They paid Upton more than Bourn got paid. Bourn was and remains a better player than Bourn. Literally the only thing in BJ's favor is that he is two years younger. So, you know, thank God we get to enjoy more of these "prime" years from the king of whiff.

Some of these are obvious, but here are my rules if I were a GM.

- Never give more than a 5 year contract to a player.

- Never give a contract to a player that will extend beyond his age 34.

- For star players, sign them to a 5 year deal two years before they become free agents. If they won't go 5, try 4, then 3. If they won't sign, then trade them before they become a free agent.

- Build the farm system with a focus on pitching.

So you wouldn't have signed Mariano Rivera to a contract at the age of 34?

This remains my biggest gripe. They paid Upton more than Bourn got paid. Bourn was and remains a better player than Bourn. Literally the only thing in BJ's favor is that he is two years younger. So, you know, thank God we get to enjoy more of these "prime" years from the king of whiff.

Obviously meant Bourn was and remains a better player than Upton.