Could an Atheist or Agnostic Ever Win the Presidency?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the more interesting question is once an atheist/agnostic wins, will another religious affiliated candidate ever win the presidency again.

You never know. The Second Great Awakening put an end to a string of presidents who were effectively Deists that has never subsided.

Could an agnostic be elected only for another great awakening to renew the hold religion has on the presidency? Sure.

Even without all that, you could see a liberally-minded agnostic be elected then replaced with a conservative Christian in the next election if people were sufficiently roused against the liberal's party.

If Washington was around right now, I'd have to believe that he and his founding bretheren (specifically Jefferson) would fit this.

In a letter to Benjamin Rush prefacing his "Syllabus of an Estimate of the Merit of the Doctrines of Jesus", Jefferson wrote:

"In some of the delightful conversations with you, in the evenings of 1798–99, and which served as an anodyne to the afflictions of the crisis through which our country was then laboring, the Christian religion was sometimes our topic; and I then promised you, that one day or other, I would give you my views of it. They are the result of a life of inquiry & reflection, and very different from that anti-Christian system imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; & believing he never claimed any other."

Washington was a Episcopalian and while private in his faith was also reportedly active in his church and Washington was an officer in the Freemasons, an organization which, at the time Washington lived, required that its members "will never be a stupid Atheist nor an irreligious Libertine"

Washington was a Episcopalian and while private in his faith was also reportedly active in his church and Washington was an officer in the Freemasons, an organization which, at the time Washington lived, required that its members "will never be a stupid Atheist nor an irreligious Libertine"

Your quote on Jefferson is a misnomer. He was a Deist in the truest, classical sense. He did not see Jesus as Deity nor God in an orthodox, let alone Evangelical, way.

Unfortunately I think it is not out of the realm of possibility. Sad, really, as this country was founded by Christians.

Perhaps this is for another thread, but I think its sad how people's political views take power over/form their religious views. I would never vote for an atheist/agnostic because religion is more important to me. But I also think that lots of politics are Christians only in name... I'll end this before I start ranting :thumb:

My point was why would having an Atheist elected President preclude the election of a person of faith, any more than the election of President Obama would prevent the election of other white males.

I think it will be a long while before we have an Agnostic/Atheist President. By the time it happens I believe people of faith will be nearing minority status in the United States. That is what will make it tough. Not to mention, religious affiliation adds an inherent bias to a person and that is not what we need in the leader of the free world.

I would have no problem voting for an agnostic/atheist if most of their views lined up with mine. However, I don't think this country will elect one for many decades from now. From what I have read from different sources the United States is much more conservative in their Christian beliefs than Europe and other places where Christianity is the dominant religion.

Your quote on Jefferson is a misnomer. He was a Deist in the truest, classical sense. He did not see Jesus as Deity nor God in an orthodox, let alone Evangelical, way.

My post was not to discuss his or Washington's particular religious beliefs, it was to point out that they did believe in God and were not, Atheist or Agnostics as Mexitucky alluded.