Could an Atheist or Agnostic Ever Win the Presidency?

I'm going to say Bill Clinton and possibly Ronald Reagan. Still not sure about GHW and W, and Obama feels like it's a bit of a show. (That doesn't mean I think he's a secret Muslim. Just that I think he's indifferent and willing to go through the motions for political expediency.)

Now you've gone and done it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agnosticism is essentially the same thing as atheism, sir.

As far as I know, an agnostic is someone who "Refuses to answer yes or no to God's call," and an atheist is someone who (in essence) says "No, I do not believe in God."

At the end of a committed agnostic's life on earth, they have never answered God's call. They never said yes, so they therefore said no.

Agnosticism is much different than atheism, IMO. Given that most of the top theoretical physicists in the world agree that the universe sprang into existence from nothing (i.e., a singularity), people who dismiss even the possibility that an intelligent, superhuman force was responsible for the creation of the universe scare me.

Agnostics, OTOH, generally take the position that the existence of God cannot be proven or disproven. That uncertainty does not disqualify agnostics from making good presidents. The egotism and related religious intolerance of atheists; and their unwillingness to even accept the possibility that God exists does make them unfit for office.

Regardless of the religious beliefs professed by a presidential candidate, if they do not have a record that generally fits my own political philosophy, then I will not vote for them. If that means voting for an agnostic or a Hindu over a Christian, then so be it.

So how many do you think have had to "Pretend to love Jesus" in the last 50 years? Which ones?

Gosh, I don't know, Jumper. Probably the ones Schue mentioned. Probably a majority were agnostic. Carter, who I like, probably legitimately loves Jesus. Nixon, I doubt, was a Jesus freak. Again, probably most had major doubts about supernatural nonsense but knew they had to play the part. Reagan and Clinton could play the part (or any part, for that matter), very well. They were astute politicians. I would say a majority of our Presidents had no great love affair with Jesus.

Agnosticism is much different than atheism, IMO. Given that most of the top theoretical physicists in the world agree that the universe sprang into existence from nothing (i.e., a singularity), people who dismiss even the possibility that an intelligent, superhuman force was responsible for the creation of the universe scare me.

Agnostics, OTOH, generally take the position that the existence of God cannot be proven or disproven. That uncertainty does not disqualify agnostics from making good presidents. The egotism and related religious intolerance of atheists; and their unwillingness to even accept the possibility that God exists does make them unfit for office.

Regardless of the religious beliefs professed by a presidential candidate, if they do not have a record that generally fits my own political philosophy, then I will not vote for them. If that means voting for an agnostic or a Hindu over a Christian, then so be it.

It does not make them unfit, sure. But this thread is would you vote for them, to which I say no.

With Agnostics and Atheists, look at it this way:

I ask you "Do you want to go to the Reds game on Sunday night?"

Monday comes, no answer. Tuesday comes, no answer. Fast forward to Sunday afternoon (game is at 8:05), no answer. Sunday night at 7:30, no answer. Finally its Sunday night at 8:30, game has started, you never agreed to go with me, so game is on and you never agreed to go, so you therefore answered "No" to my initial question.

Now look at it with God:

God asks a man "Do you believe in me?"

He's 10 years old, and refuses to acknowledge the question. 20 years old, refuses to acknowledge his belief in God. Fast forward to 70 years old, refuses to acknowledge any belief/disbelief in God. Fast forward to deathbed, refuses to acknowledge belief/disbelief in God. Well, the man dies and never acknowledged God, therefore he never declared belief during life on Earth, meaning he did not believe.

Would that not be an atheist? JMO

Gosh, I don't know, Jumper. Probably the ones Schue mentioned. Probably a majority were agnostic. Carter, who I like, probably legitimately loves Jesus. Nixon, I doubt, was a Jesus freak. Again, probably most had major doubts about supernatural nonsense but knew they had to play the part. Reagan and Clinton could play the part (or any part, for that matter), very well. They were astute politicians. I would say a majority of our Presidents had no great love affair with Jesus.
But you have NOTHING to base it on other than your own opinion, right?

But you have NOTHING to base it on other than your own opinion, right?

That's correct. To my knowledge, none have ever admitted to being agnostic/atheistic. There is such a negative bias about agnosticism or atheistic thought that those who believe that way tend to keep quiet about it. Politicians, for good reason, never go there.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that a decent portion of the folks on this website lean towards agnosticism, or at least have doubts about the indoctrination of superstition and myth they've received since infancy. The stigma that atheists are evil thinkers and evildoers, tends to preclude even the acknowledgement online that one doubts the existence of Almighty God.

That's correct. To my knowledge, none have ever admitted to being agnostic/atheistic. There is such a negative bias about agnosticism or atheistic thought that those who believe that way tend to keep quiet about it. Politicians, for good reason, never go there.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that a decent portion of the folks on this website lean towards agnosticism, or at least have doubts about the indoctrination of superstition and myth they've received since infancy. The stigma that atheists are evil thinkers and evildoers, tends to preclude even the acknowledgement online that one doubts the existence of Almighty God.

There have been several on here that have said they were atheist or agnostic... BGP is a pretty diverse and open community and even though we don't always agree with each other we do discuss these things with civil discourse. Most of the time.

There have been several on here that have said they were atheist or agnostic... BGP is a pretty diverse and open community and even though we don't always agree with each other we do discuss these things with civil discourse. Most of the time.

Very good. I like that.

Now you've gone and done it.

I just don't see how the hyper-devout, Evangelical Ronald Reagan could have put up with Nancy's astrology dalliances and whatever other weird stuff she — and possibly he — had gotten into in their years among the Hollywood elite. Possibly his last great acting gig.

I just don't see how the hyper-devout, Evangelical Ronald Reagan could have put up with Nancy's astrology dalliances and whatever other weird stuff she — and possibly he — had gotten into in their years among the Hollywood elite. Possibly his last great acting gig.

We need a stirring the pot smiley for Jim!!! :)

So how many do you think have had to "Pretend to love Jesus" in the last 50 years? Which ones?

My first reaction is many, if not most of them. Johnson, Nixon and Clinton come to mind first but I really wouldn't rule out any of them with the possible exception of Carter.

Where do you get that from? From what I recall Reagan was a big disappointment to the religious right as he concentrated first on the economy and appointed Sandra Day O'Conner to the SC. Someone can correct me but I recall they also were hacked that he didn't often attend relgious services while in office. Far from being hyper devout or an Evangelical.

Where do you get that from? From what I recall Reagan was a big disappointment to the religious right as he concentrated first on the economy and appointed Sandra Day O'Conner to the SC. Someone can correct me but I recall they also were hacked that he didn't often attend relgious services while in office. Far from being hyper devout or an Evangelical.

Wasn't he raised Disciples of Christ?

Wasn't he raised Disciples of Christ?

That sounds right as his mother was a huge factor in his early life. His dad was Irish Catholic but as an adult I believe he was a Presbyterian although I don't think he attended services regularly until after he left office.

It does not make them unfit, sure. But this thread is would you vote for them, to which I say no.

With Agnostics and Atheists, look at it this way:

I ask you "Do you want to go to the Reds game on Sunday night?"

Monday comes, no answer. Tuesday comes, no answer. Fast forward to Sunday afternoon (game is at 8:05), no answer. Sunday night at 7:30, no answer. Finally its Sunday night at 8:30, game has started, you never agreed to go with me, so game is on and you never agreed to go, so you therefore answered "No" to my initial question.

Now look at it with God:

God asks a man "Do you believe in me?"

He's 10 years old, and refuses to acknowledge the question. 20 years old, refuses to acknowledge his belief in God. Fast forward to 70 years old, refuses to acknowledge any belief/disbelief in God. Fast forward to deathbed, refuses to acknowledge belief/disbelief in God. Well, the man dies and never acknowledged God, therefore he never declared belief during life on Earth, meaning he did not believe.

Would that not be an atheist? JMO

Well, we cannot really predict which agnostics may accept God before they die, can we? The reason that I make a distinction between atheists and agnostics is that I want a president who is open minded enough to wisely consider the advise of his cabinet and other advisors. Being agnostic does not necessarily mean that a person has a closed mind and will disrespect the religious beliefs of others.

Those who confidently claim that God does not exist lack the good judgment that I want in a president.

I am not looking for a president to be a religious leader but I do not want them to be religiously intolerant either.