Could an Atheist or Agnostic Ever Win the Presidency?

I would have no problem voting for an agnostic/atheist if most of their views lined up with mine. However, I don't think this country will elect one for many decades from now. From what I have read from different sources the United States is much more conservative in their Christian beliefs than Europe and other places where Christianity is the dominant religion.

Christianity is also the dominant religion in much of Africa and South America. We're not anywhere near as conservative in our religion as many of those countries are. We do have a much more traditional view of Christianity than Europe, to be sure.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My post was not to discuss his or Washington's particular religious beliefs, it was to point out that they did believe in God and were not, Atheist or Agnostics as Mexitucky alluded.

Depends upon your understanding of classical "belief in God." Jefferson was a Deist. Deists in 18th century were those who did not accept the Divinity of Jesus and more or less were ambivalent to the existence of God. Pretty close to what we would call Agnostics today I think.

I think it will be a long while before we have an Agnostic/Atheist President. By the time it happens I believe people of faith will be nearing minority status in the United States. That is what will make it tough. Not to mention, religious affiliation adds an inherent bias to a person and that is not what we need in the leader of the free world.

No it doesn't.

I think it will be a long while before we have an Agnostic/Atheist President. By the time it happens I believe people of faith will be nearing minority status in the United States. That is what will make it tough. Not to mention, religious affiliation adds an inherent bias to a person and that is not what we need in the leader of the free world.

A bias toward morality? We don't need that in world leaders. :)

No doubt we have had an athiest or agnostic President(maybe multiple ones) who just pretended to the world to be a God-fearing believer.

My question is - Could (or will) a publicly devout athiest or agnostic ever become President? I know the polls say that America is becoming less and less religious, but will she ever "Lose Her Religion" enough to elect someone who professes a non-belief philosophy?

No. It would never happen.

I have never cast a vote based on a person's religion and never will. I'd vote for an agnostic/atheist without thinking twice about it if I liked them.

I understand how you say "if I liked them" as I have plenty of friends and people I like who disagree with my beliefs. But do you not want the LEADER of your country to be a shining example to all? Good person or not I do not think atheists are good examples for our country. While an atheist can be a good person they are not getting the fullness of Truth.

I understand how you say "if I liked them" as I have plenty of friends and people I like who disagree with my beliefs. But do you not want the LEADER of your country to be a shining example to all? Good person or not I do not think atheists are good examples for our country. While an atheist can be a good person they are not getting the fullness of Truth.

I don't need my leaders to be religious or believers of God for me to be led by them. It is a non issue to me. I know of atheists and agnostics who are better people than some religious people I know.

I don't need my leaders to be religious or believers of God for me to be led by them. It is a non issue to me. I know of atheists and agnostics who are better people than some religious people I know.

I agree, there certainly are people we deem "better" than others who are non-religious rather than religious. But any elected leader instantly becomes a role model or someone to look up to for many people in this country. Is it important to you that people in this country are trying to be like somebody who does not allow God into their lives?

I agree, there certainly are people we deem "better" than others who are non-religious rather than religious. But any elected leader instantly becomes a role model or someone to look up to for many people in this country. Is it important to you that people in this country are trying to be like somebody who does not allow God into their lives?

No, it is not important to me. We should be trying to be like someone who treats people fairly and makes an honest attempt to always do the right thing.