I have no idea why I didn't get the job??

Watusi

I thought the interview went well. I wore my best cargo shorts, halfway down my crack, turned my phone to silent so it wouldn't beep while I was texting my girlfriend, and only asked for 30 days vacation. I don't know what went wrong. :idunno:

New College Graduates: Looking For A Job? Dress Appropriately And Don’t Text Message During Interview

In the survey, a whopping two-thirds of hiring managers surveyed believe that new college graduates are unprepared for the workplace that awaits them, which is severely limiting the number of new grads even being considered...

During a job interview, one-third (34 percent) of hiring managers said young adults’ inability to directly and clearly answer questions and articulate their skills and experience during the interview are main factors for them not getting the job. Other slip-ups include: lack of eye contact (33 percent), checking phone/texting (30 percent), fidgeting (26 percent)...

Finally, ensure your resume is absolutely error-free. More than half (54 percent) of hiring managers don’t even offer interviews to job candidates with weak resumes. What often gets a candidate in the door is attention to detail. Hiring managers are most likely to cite spelling errors (43 percent) as the most common misstep

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your not involved in the hiring process you'd be amazed how some people come in for an interview.

A few of my pet peeves for applicants

Hats

Flip Flops (men and women)

Soda (it's ALWAYS a bottle of Mt Dew)

Gum

Dip

Torn clothing (the stuff that comes with rips and tears when new)

Phone laying on the desk or table between us

Uncombed or unkempt hair

Shorts

Screen printed T-Shirts with clever sayings or character prints

Asking questions BEFORE interviewer has asked any

Weak Handshakes

#2 Just caught them shoplifting a few weeks or months ago

and #1 the Unrealistic person

Interviewee:"I put on my application that I was available anytime, well I can't work after 5pm or on Fridays or Saturdays"

Me:"Well we told you when we called we are interviewing for two jobs, one is second shift weekends and the other is third shift"

Interviewee:"Well then where are you going to put me because I don't want to work those"

Me:"I'll put your application back in the active file and I guess you can leave now"

Interviewee:"So when do I start"

Me:Shaking my head "We'll call you when we need you"

Honestly had a similar conversation as the one above over 50 times maybe closer to 100 times

If your not involved in the hiring process you'd be amazed how some people come in for an interview.

A few of my pet peeves for applicants

Hats

Flip Flops (men and women)

Soda (it's ALWAYS a bottle of Mt Dew)

Gum

Dip

Torn clothing (the stuff that comes with rips and tears when new)

Phone laying on the desk or table between us

Uncombed or unkempt hair

Shorts

Screen printed T-Shirts with clever sayings or character prints

Asking questions BEFORE interviewer has asked any

Weak Handshakes

#2 Just caught them shoplifting a few weeks or months ago

and #1 the Unrealistic person

Interviewee:"I put on my application that I was available anytime, well I can't work after 5pm or on Fridays or Saturdays"

Me:"Well we told you when we called we are interviewing for two jobs, one is second shift weekends and the other is third shift"

Interviewee:"Well then where are you going to put me because I don't want to work those"

Me:"I'll put your application back in the active file and I guess you can leave now"

Interviewee:"So when do I start"

Me:Shaking my head "We'll call you when we need you"

Honestly had a similar conversation as the one above over 50 times maybe closer to 100 times

Wowzers.

I'm convinced people get dumber every year, but not to this level.

If I had to guess, I say you have to be hiring for a Walmart type place? I'd have guessed fast food, but the shoplifting part steered more toward the Mart type places.

Sadly, I think that there are problems with many who actually get jobs. The newer graduates that I work with are the ones who do the least work, and have no concept of teamwork. In my workplace cell phone use is prohibited, yet you can always find the young ones sneaking off to play with their phones. Often you hear them talking about the great party the are going to on Friday, and mysteriously the call in sick on Saturday.

I would love to teach a class at the local high school on just basic life skills like being responsible with your checkbook, how to save money, building a resume', how to apply and interview for a job, workplace etiquette, work ethic, etc. etc.

I would love to teach a class at the local high school on just basic life skills like being responsible with your checkbook, how to save money, building a resume', how to apply and interview for a job, workplace etiquette, work ethic, etc. etc.

No chance that would fly. It would be useful.

No chance that would fly. It would be useful.
Right. And throw in volunteering in your community, protecting your reputation, doing your own taxes, taking personal responsibility for your actions, and working hard to overcome adversity instead of playing the blame game.

We can have a weekly guest teacher from BGP, pick your topic. :D

What else should go into our course?

Right. And throw in volunteering in your community' date=' protecting your reputation, doing your own taxes, taking personal responsibility for your actions, and working hard to overcome adversity instead of playing the blame game. We can have a weekly guest teacher from BGP, pick your topic. :D What else should go into our course?[/quote']

How to wear your pants and how to treat a woman.

Remember when high schools used to offer "Home Economics"? Like cooking and sewing? Why not "Life Economics", or "Life Skills" where you learn all of the stuff Watusi mentioned?

Remember when high schools used to offer "Home Economics"? Like cooking and sewing? Why not "Life Economics", or "Life Skills" where you learn all of the stuff Watusi mentioned?

I had all of the above in high school.