NLRB rules in favor of College Athetes Players Association

mobaar

I don't agree with paying college athletes. They are paid by their scholarships.

I do agree with college athletes being able to make money from their name. If they do appearances and/or sign autographs, they should be able to make money from that. That could be considered a job, IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with paying college athletes. They are paid by their scholarships.

I do agree with college athletes being able to make money from their name. If they do appearances and/or sign autographs, they should be able to make money from that. That could be considered a job, IMO.

Real slippery slope on that one. Some booster that owns an autograph shop agrees to pay John Wall $200K over his freshman year to sign autographs but only if he goes to UK.

Or John Wall can sell his autographs on Ebay, same booster wants to pay $200K for it.

Real slippery slope on that one. Some booster that owns an autograph shop agrees to pay John Wall $200K over his freshman year to sign autographs but only if he goes to UK.

Or John Wall can sell his autographs on Ebay, same booster wants to pay $200K for it.

Agreed, but that's the free market, right? If a computer prodigy is contacted by Apple before he goes to school and told "we'll pay you $100,000 a year while you attend Stanford," who is going to jump up and down and complain?

Then good for John Wall. UK doesn't make thousands of dollars a year selling Jared Polson jerseys...

What would keep the NCAA from kicking Northwestern out of their organization?

Great question.

The most disturbing thing the "Union" is asking for is the ability for student athletes to transfer anytime they want with no repercussions.

That would be a nightmare if it were allowed. Schools would act like professional teams and start luring athletes from one school to another like free agents. What a nightmare.

The NCAA has little power unto itself. Dangerous road for a group of college presidents to go down.

Not to mention the political firestorm that would ensue from the NCAA expelling a university for having organized labor. From a legal standpoint, I'm not even sure where that leaves them.

Great question.

The most disturbing thing the "Union" is asking for is the ability for student athletes to transfer anytime they want with no repercussions.

That would be a nightmare if it were allowed. Schools would act like professional teams and start luring athletes from one school to another like free agents. What a nightmare.

The whole system is screwed up. Coaches can do it. Athletic directors can do it.

Forget athletics. The whole university system works that way. I know anyone who follows the news in Louisville has to remember when all hell broke loose a couple years ago because UK was trying to lure away researchers from UofL's medical school. The competition for those researchers that know how to draw in big donor and government grant money is FIERCE.

Truth be told, it's probably time take big-time college athletics out behind the shed and put it down. Things will change in other ways now that the NBA and NFL will no longer have free minor leagues to help prepare guys for the next level.

Again, we just have no idea how this whole thing is going to end.

Maybe nothing would keep them from doing that, I really don't know, but precedent has been set. They can't kick all schools that choose to do this out.

What I have been reading and I don't know how much is true that I read. Most everyone is pretty unclear what is going to happen. It looks like Northwestern will have to go through the NLRB appeals process, then it could go to the courts. It is likely to be 3-5 years before anything is really decided (and lots of money).

The NCAA should try and come up with some sort an answer to address the worse case scenario. Because if they don't, they will be out of business. They are pretty stubborn and tend to have no common sense, so I doubt that happens.

In ten years, I believe, as someone suggested, that college basketball and football will be run by the NBA and NFL in some way. College major sports will be a minor league type of organization loosely affiliated with the big universities. Small college stuff will probably be similar to today, but the Big Boys will follow the $$.

The more I learn about this, the clearer it seems the landscape of big time college football and basketball is going to change. Get ready for the UK Bengals/Titans or UK Pacers/Bobcats. As far-fetched as that sounds, it is more likely than I ever thought.

Someone had better become proactive or big time college athletics will not be the same, unfortunately.

Agreed, but that's the free market, right? If a computer prodigy is contacted by Apple before he goes to school and told "we'll pay you $100,000 a year while you attend Stanford," who is going to jump up and down and complain?

No one. And no one would complain if a booster paid John Wall $200K for his autograph, he just can't play basketball. Your comparison doesn't fit.

It remains to be seen. The end of amateurism doesn't automatically mean the birth of a collegiate professionalism.

There two extreme ends here. On one end of the spectrum: collegiate athletes everywhere being paid for their services to the school. On the other end: the end of college sports scholarships for most universities.

Something will happen somewhere in the middle and it's hard to predict what that might look like.

One consequence has already been mentioned. If they're now employees, do their scholarships get taxed as income?Lots of time and lots of unforeseen consequences to come for everyone.

Have to under current tax law, employer is only allowed to provide $5250 in exempt tuition assistance.