NLRB rules in favor of College Athetes Players Association

mobaar

You sound like a lot of other people in todays world. He makes too much money I want to make him share with other who don't make as much. I agree he and a lot of others are overpaid but this is America and if things keep going like they are all of us are going to be in trouble.

No. Most of these schools have a great deal of OUR money. They rake in athletic dollars while continuing to be subsidized by state taxes. They want to rake in the money, fine, but they don't get to be the only people deciding how it's spent. When we're talking about big-time athletic powerhouses, we're almost universally talking about state-run, land-grant institutions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is forcing them to play sports. If they are having trouble keeping up with their studies they need to quit and focus on that.If they raise too much trouble then there will be no sports for them to play.

You're barking up the wrong tree there. Nothing would make me happier than the end of big-time sports at universities.

You sound like a lot of other people in today's world. He makes too much money I want to make him share with other who don't make as much. I agree he and a lot of others are overpaid but this is America and if things keep going like they are all of us are going to be in trouble.

I have no issue with Saban's salary. If that's what Alabama wants to pay him, then that's their prerogative. The issue is how much they demand of their players, year round, how they make millions upon millions of dollars off of them, and then turn around and offer them such a tiny tiny piece of that (if anything).

I have no issue with Saban's salary. If that's what Alabama wants to pay him, then that's their prerogative. The issue is how much they demand of their players, year round, how they make millions upon millions of dollars off of them, and then turn around and offer them such a tiny tiny piece of that (if anything).

Exactly. These guys want a raise. Don't want to give it to them? Fine. But these universities are going to have to come up with something a lot better than: "Because we want to uphold the traditions of amateurism."

No one. And no one would complain if a booster paid John Wall $200K for his autograph, he just can't play basketball. Your comparison doesn't fit.

It absolutely fits. Stanford (or better yet, the National Collegiate Computer Programmers Association) isn't going to kick some kid out of the CS department for receiving a grant from Apple.

People complain about kids following coaches instead of schools too. Nobody would say anything if a gifted pianist selects a particular fine arts school solely based on the reputation of an instructor.

It absolutely fits. Stanford (or better yet, the National Collegiate Computer Programmers Association) isn't going to kick some kid out of the CS department for receiving a grant from Apple.

People complain about kids following coaches instead of schools too. Nobody would say anything if a gifted pianist selects a particular fine arts school solely based on the reputation of an instructor.

No it doesn't. Stanford isn't going to kick a kid on the football team out of school for taking a grant from Apple. But the NCAA might not let him play any longer.

One of the issues is making these kids who really have the talent or potential to go the next level not allowing it. An example in sports is where John Doe from UCLA is a really good Freshman golfer and is invited to play in LA Open. He has a great week and wins the tournament. He then can decide if he wants to take the 1.5 million in prize money or keep his amateur status. It would be difficult to turn that down and 19 and he earned it. The golf market allowed him to make this decision. In football and basketball if the market says you are ready to play and a team is willing to spend the money to develop or play him, it should be his decision to make that decision. It doesn't matter if we think they are ready, the market and offers will determine that.. That choice isn't there in football and basketball and that seems unfair to me.

I know the leagues worked with the NCAA and there may be a reason, however, there are a few that could be worth the shot. There will always be that freak of athletic nature like LeBron or Phil/Tiger that were and could be competitive at 19. Although I know that both Phil and Tiger chose to go to college, they didn't have to and that would be fine in football and basketball if the kid wanted to. But that opportunity isn't there for them.

Although this isn't the only reason behind this, it plays into it.

One of the issues is making these kids who really have the talent or potential to go the next level not allowing it. An example in sports is where John Doe from UCLA is a really good Freshman golfer and is invited to play in LA Open. He has a great week and wins the tournament. He then can decide if he wants to take the 1.5 million in prize money or keep his amateur status. It would be difficult to turn that down and 19 and he earned it. The golf market allowed him to make this decision. In football and basketball if the market says you are ready to play and a team is willing to spend the money to develop or play him, it should be his decision to make that decision. It doesn't matter if we think they are ready, the market and offers will determine that.. That choice isn't there in football and basketball and that seems unfair to me.

I know the leagues worked with the NCAA and there may be a reason, however, there are a few that could be worth the shot. There will always be that freak of athletic nature like LeBron or Phil/Tiger that were and could be competitive at 19. Although I know that both Phil and Tiger chose to go to college, they didn't have to and that would be fine in football and basketball if the kid wanted to. But that opportunity isn't there for them.

Although this isn't the only reason behind this, it plays into it.

Eighteen year old kids are not ready to be in the NFL no matter how good they are. They would get killed because their bodies are not developed to where they need to be. Only a small percentage of the players play at the next level anyway. The ones who don't if they take advantage of their situation can get a free degree before heading into the real world. Sure they put in long hours year round but they are compensated with their education. All the normal students have to work year round for years to pay back the loans they have to get their degree.

No it doesn't. Stanford isn't going to kick a kid on the football team out of school for taking a grant from Apple. But the NCAA might not let him play any longer.

Sure they will. If Apple wants to pay a Stanford football player to appear in an ad, the NCAA will immediately rule that player ineligible resulting in his removal from the team and loss of scholarship.

If freshman CS genius Bobby Smith gets the same deal from Apple, nobody is revoking his scholarship or kicking him out of the CS department.

Sure they will. If Apple wants to pay a Stanford football player to appear in an ad, the NCAA will immediately rule that player ineligible resulting in his removal from the team and loss of scholarship.

If freshman CS genius Bobby Smith gets the same deal from Apple, nobody is revoking his scholarship or kicking him out of the CS department.

Any student go do anything they want (as long as it's legal) to make money while attending college. You just can't play sports if you do. Not sure how else to explain it. Your original example isn't apples to apples. No one is stopping John Wall or anyone from making money off their name. They just can't do it and play sports. They can still go to school and the football player in your standford example can still go to school. They just can't play football.

Any student go do anything they want (as long as it's legal) to make money while attending college. You just can't play sports if you do.

Exactly. Why?

Why do we treat students who are athletes differently than students who excel in academic or artistic areas?

As to taxes, scholarships are currently taxable income to the student. However, those amounts for tuition, books and supplies and fees required of everyone in a class are excluded. What would change is that if the student were deemed an employee, social security taxes would come into play. However, I do know that employees at some universities are considered state employees and are in a different system, depending on the state. At least if they got cut as an employee they would get unemployment and injuries would fall under workers compensation. Going to get interesting.