NLRB rules in favor of College Athetes Players Association

mobaar

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The college game has just changed, folks.

How will it change? I don't doubt it will, but I just am not smart enough in this realm to understand how. This is a Northwestern issue now, right? Illinois, I believe, is a collective bargaining state. What about the 24 Right to Work states?

I could be way off base here, but I think the only thing that may come from this right away may be more restrictions on what the NCAA allows for practice hours etc. and things like that. I don't think the money side will even come into play...at least right away

I could be way off base here, but I think the only thing that may come from this right away may be more restrictions on what the NCAA allows for practice hours etc. and things like that. I don't think the money side will even come into play...at least right away

Unless a union is doing this pro bono...money will come into play very quickly.

How will it change? I don't doubt it will, but I just am not smart enough in this realm to understand how. This is a Northwestern issue now, right? Illinois, I believe, is a collective bargaining state. What about the 24 Right to Work states?

Currently, yes, it's just a Northwestern issue...but that Northwestern issue is going to impact the way the NCAA handles its member schools' dealings with their players, and then that makes it a NCAA problem. Other schools are going to have their players organize, and by organizing, they can make demands. Union demands made some pretty giant changes in the American blue collar landscape in the early 20th century. Although not as drastically as the American workforce at large, I figure this will impact NCAA somewhat similarly in time.

Currently, yes, it's just a Northwestern issue...but that Northwestern issue is going to impact the way the NCAA handles its member schools' dealings with their players, and then that makes it a NCAA problem. Other schools are going to have their players organize, and by organizing, they can make demands. Union demands made some pretty giant changes in the American blue collar landscape in the early 20th century. Although not as drastically as the American workforce at large, I figure this will impact NCAA somewhat similarly in time.

Are we still a few years away for a final decision with appeals and stuff or does the NLRB decision stick until appealed?

Are we still a few years away for a final decision with appeals and stuff or does the NLRB decision stick until appealed?

Now that question is a bit above my pay grade. I'm not sure how appeals will apply within the NLRB, and I'm not sure how much room either party will or will not have to take this to the actual court system.

That may be a much better question for PP92, actually.

I may not understand it completely as to how this will play out but is jmo that it can be nothing but bad.

College student / athletes are not employees. Everyone always jumps on any school that is caught up in paying players, giving benefits, perks, etc. Now a ruling to "Unionize" ? !! Terrible, I can only image what all this will bring up. What's next....retirement / 401k plans :idunno: ?? :no:

I think that college football is great but also believe that with all of the recent reorganizing of conferences, teams that were main stays of a conference jumping to another being maybe a first step and now this - we just may be seeing the 1st and 2nd steps in ruining college football. Should they go to basically a "D League" for the NFL then I will be done with it.

College sports are just that.....people say they need to be paid something for all of the work they put in ?? They are being paid / compensated with a Free College Education ! That's their pay salary !

Bottom Line.....this is a terrible day for college football / athletics in general.

Unless a union is doing this pro bono...money will come into play very quickly.

I don't know. I really don't think they will get into the pay for play right now. I think other things such as how long they can practice, as well as covering medical costs. Do you know that if an athlete is hurt playing his sport in college that the university DOESN'T have to pay the bills if they choose not to? Some can claim it was a pre-existing injury etc.

I think those are the things that will be dealt with first.

I don't agree with paying college athletes. They are paid by their scholarships.

I do agree with college athletes being able to make money from their name. If they do appearances and/or sign autographs, they should be able to make money from that. That could be considered a job, IMO.

If they are employees, can you discriminate against 5'7" 2guards with no hops, speed or athleticism?

What if a women want's to join the men's hockey team?

That isn't discrimination. Athletic ability is a qualification for the position.

That's like saying Apple is discriminating against me because I know nothing about computers, or Victoria Secret is discriminating because I look terrible in a thong.