NLRB rules in favor of College Athetes Players Association

mobaar

I don't agree with paying college athletes. They are paid by their scholarships.

I do agree with college athletes being able to make money from their name. If they do appearances and/or sign autographs, they should be able to make money from that. That could be considered a job, IMO.

This is my stance, as well as I think the University should have to pay for insurance on the athletes and possibly a inflation adjusted stipend.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't discrimination. Athletic ability is a qualification for the position.

That's like saying Apple is discriminating against me because I know nothing about computers, or Victoria Secret is discriminating because I look terrible in a thong.

Says you, but I think the right plaintiff with the right attorney in the right US District Court and they might not agree.

All I'm saying is employment law opens up a bunch of issues that no one is thinking about.

Player / players are having a bad game - coach (now management) takes player out, replaces with another - first player doesn't like it, files grievance - ruling / hearing held........No, that's not (at least I hope) what direction it's going but was just making a point.....college is not the "real world", players are college students. College is preparing Kids for the real world, work force, business, etc.. Lets face it,and I know that there are college students on here that aren't going to like what I am about to say but that's never stopped me before, There are Too Many College Kids in Todays World that can't, don't want to grasp the concept of they are "Students".....Not professors, Not Dept. Heads, Not Administration, Not a Board Member.....they are "Students", they are not supposed to run the place. Football players, other athletes are "Students". When you/they grow up, graduate then that's when they enter the "Real World" and should they want to have a say, work for it, go up the ladder and earn it.

The old sayings "too many chiefs, not enough inmates", "inmate running the asylum" and others apply here imo.

BTW, I haven't read every post so I apologize if this has been brought up. Has anyone thought what all else this could open. Should football players be able to unionize then what's to stop the other athletes, teams, both men's and women's sports from doing the same thing ? Imagine all else that could come fom this one, imo, stupid ruling, it's endless.

BTW, I haven't read every post so I apologize if this has been brought up. Has anyone thought what all else this could open. Should football players be able to unionize then what's to stop the other athletes, teams, both men's and women's sports from doing the same thing ? Imagine all else that could come fom this one, imo, stupid ruling, it's endless.

I'll say this. Payment is troublesome and unionization is maybe a step too far, but these players -- in any sport, at any school -- have had NO ONE speaking in their interest. Lots of decisions getting made by coaches, administrators, university presidents and so on, but their interests are not the same as the athletes. They needed an organization to stand up for them. To that end, I support a move like this.

I'll say this. Payment is troublesome and unionization is maybe a step too far, but these players -- in any sport, at any school -- have had NO ONE speaking in their interest. Lots of decisions getting made by coaches, administrators, university presidents and so on, but their interests are not the same as the athletes. They needed an organization to stand up for them. To that end, I support a move like this.

Yes all college athletes are so mistreated it is pitiful. They leave the school with a free degree for playing a sport they love to play while other students leave with a load of debt.

Yes all college athletes are so mistreated it is pitiful. They leave the school with a free degree for playing a sport they love to play while other students leave with a load of debt.

Yes, except MANY MANY MANY of those college football players are at the absolute highest level of talent in their sport. They are 18 years old and older. When a normal person turns 18, they are allowed to forego college and go onto their career, using their talents to the best of their ability to make the money that they can with those talents. However, if your specific talent happens to be football, then rules dictate that you can't do this. You have to spend three years outside of high school before you can play in the NFL. The NCAA takes advantage of that. They take all of these talented players who are attending college while trying to make themselves more visible to the NFL, they and their member schools make BOATLOADS of money off of those players (ever seen how much money Nick Saban makes?), and then the create extraordinarily strict rules that won't allow those players to make money off of their talents.

Yes, except MANY MANY MANY of those college football players are at the absolute highest level of talent in their sport. They are 18 years old and older. When a normal person turns 18, they are allowed to forego college and go onto their career, using their talents to the best of their ability to make the money that they can with those talents. However, if your specific talent happens to be football, then rules dictate that you can't do this. You have to spend three years outside of high school before you can play in the NFL. The NCAA takes advantage of that. They take all of these talented players who are attending college while trying to make themselves more visible to the NFL, they and their member schools make BOATLOADS of money off of those players (ever seen how much money Nick Saban makes?), and then the create extraordinarily strict rules that won't allow those players to make money off of their talents.

Put those 18 year olds in the nfl and see how long they last. Most 18 yr olds if they chose a career right out of high school will not make in a lifetime what a developed player 3 yrs out of highschool will in a year. Yes the schools and ncaa make money but the players get benefits too.

Put those 18 year olds in the NFL and see how long they last. Most 18 yr olds if they chose a career right out of high school will not make in a lifetime what a developed player 3 yrs out of high school will in a year.

That's not the point.

Yes the schools and NCAA make money but the players get benefits too.

The schools and NCAA make a LOT of money. TV and sponsorship deals galore. College players, however, are prohibited from making money off of their own names, and all the while colleges, coaches, and the NCAA can make money off of them and their performances.

In 2012, Nick Saban earned $5.4 million for coaching the Alabama football team - and I'm sure the University of Alabama made a LOT more off of the football team than Saban. The cost of tuition at Alabama is $4,600 in state, and $11,475 out of state. Dorming costs are $4,400 and a meal plan is $1,500. Those things don't nearly add up to $5.4 million.

I had a cousin who went to play softball at Western Kentucky. The schedule was monstrously rigorous. She couldn't keep up. She wasn't on a full ride scholarship, only partial. Who speaks for her?

There are all sorts of issues at play here.

How is health care coverage handled? What about restrictions on practice hours to reserve time for academics for these "student athletes"? Under what conditions can a university unilaterally terminate a scholarship?

For all these reasons and many more these men and women deserve an organization to stand up for them. There are A LOT of college athletes that don't just play big-time football or basketball. And even they need a voice too.

It's easy to be dismissive; stopping and thinking about what the concerns of these people actually are is more difficult.

I had a cousin who went to play softball at Western Kentucky. The schedule was monstrously rigorous. She couldn't keep up. She wasn't on a full ride scholarship, only partial. Who speaks for her?

There are all sorts of issues at play h

How is health care coverage handled? What about restrictions on practice hours to reserve time for academics for these "student athletes"? Under what conditions can a university unilaterally terminate a scholarship?

For all these reasons and many more these men and women deserve an organization to stand up for them. There are A LOT of college athletes that don't just play big-time football or basketball. And even they need a voice too.

It's easy to be dismissive; stopping and thinking about what the concerns of these people actually are is more difficult.

No one is forcing them to play sports. If they are having trouble keeping up with their studies they need to quit and focus on that.If they raise too much trouble then there will be no sports for them to play.

That's not the point.

The schools and NCAA make a LOT of money. TV and sponsorship deals galore. College players, however, are prohibited from making money off of their own names, and all the while colleges, coaches, and the NCAA can make money off of them and their performances.

In 2012, Nick Saban earned $5.4 million for coaching the Alabama football team - and I'm sure the University of Alabama made a LOT more off of the football team than Saban. The cost of tuition at Alabama is $4,600 in state, and $11,475 out of state. Dorming costs are $4,400 and a meal plan is $1,500. Those things don't nearly add up to $5.4 million.

You sound like a lot of other people in todays world. He makes too much money I want to make him share with other who don't make as much. I agree he and a lot of others are overpaid but this is America and if things keep going like they are all of us are going to be in trouble.