UL ranked #5 but a 4seed?????

jericho

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im by far not a UL fan, but can someone speculate on why they got a #4 seed when they are ranked #5 in the country?

Has anyone from the selection committee explained the reason for the #4 seed?

I am not a UL fan at all, but thought right away yesterday they got hosed.

While UL got the shaft as far as seeding, I do not think their path is as difficult as some portray. That is the tradeoff. When the chalk seeds ahead of you are mid-majors to the Elite 8, that is a good draw. Not to mention after this first weekend, UL is practically playing a home game. St. Louis, to me, is over-seeded at a 5. They have some bad losses and have been reeling of late. Wasn't it 2005 when UL went to the Final Four as a 4 seed? That season they played the first two rounds as a practical home team in Nashville, then were paired with the back-door #1, and weakest 1 seed, Washington.

While UL got the shaft as far as seeding, I do not think their path is as difficult as some portray. That is the tradeoff. When the chalk seeds ahead of you are mid-majors to the Elite 8, that is a good draw. Not to mention after this first weekend, UL is practically playing a home game. St. Louis, to me, is over-seeded at a 5. They have some bad losses and have been reeling of late. Wasn't it 2005 when UL went to the Final Four as a 4 seed? That season they played the first two rounds as a practical home team in Nashville, then were paired with the back-door #1, and weakest 1 seed, Washington.

It's going to be tough to get past Kentucky in what will essentially be a rivalry game during the tournament.

It's going to be tough to get past Kentucky in what will essentially be a rivalry game during the tournament.

I personally think the region with the toughest top teams is the South.

The Midwest just has more quality teams than the other 3 regions, but I feel if you take the top 4 teams out of each region, the South has the toughest top 4 teams.

Right. I am 50/50 on picking UK to get by round 1. I am not as convinced as everyone UK has turned some kind of corner. 5-5 in their last 10 give me good reason to pause. IF UK gets by Kansas State (a team that loves to pressure the ball and we all know how UK handles it), the Shockers have a week to marinate on how many people are picking them to lose already. I still contend if your chalk teams are mid-majors to the Elite 8, it is not as bad as being portrayed. Slapped in the face as far as seed number, without a doubt.

Last thing in the world I want to see is Kentucky. No matter what type of season they've had, the Cats have been playing better of late and teams with long, athletic guards have given Louisville trouble all season.

I'm pretty sure Louisville was a 4 seed when they met UK in the 2012 Final Four. They were a 4 seed when they made the Final Four in 2005 as well.

I saw something interesting on Twitter last night, so I'm not sure how true it is... But someone tweeted that since seeding began, two teams ranked in the Top 5 have gotten lower than a 3 seed... '05 Louisville and '14 Louisville.

I thought 4 was a line or two too low, but don't use rankings for anything -- they mean nothing to the committee and aren't even something that they see in the war-room. Rankings are meaningless.

They are playing well right now, for sure, but their non-conf SOS was terrible and their best non-conf win outside of YUM was Florida International.

I'm pretty sure Louisville was a 4 seed when they met UK in the 2012 Final Four. They were a 4 seed when they made the Final Four in 2005 as well.

I saw something interesting on Twitter last night, so I'm not sure how true it is... But someone tweeted that since seeding began, two teams ranked in the Top 5 have gotten lower than a 3 seed... '05 Louisville and '14 Louisville.

It's all in how the schedule was reflected in the RPI. Louisville was punished for being in C-USA in 2005 and were punished for being in the American in 2014. The schedule fell apart on Louisville pretty quick. Nothing to do but endure it for this year.

Next year with not only the ACC schedule but out of conference games against Kentucky, Indiana, and Minnesota, this won't be an issue.

Last thing in the world I want to see is Kentucky. No matter what type of season they've had, the Cats have been playing better of late and teams with long, athletic guards have given Louisville trouble all season.

Have they? Or did they just have a good 30 minutes against a tired LSU, 10 minutes against UGA, and 5 good minutes against UF. Yes, some of my strategy here is sandbagging ;), but I am still not convinced they have somehow figured it out. UK still does not know how to win games. See yesterday. You normally want to address that before entering a single elimination tournament.