UL ranked #5 but a 4seed?????

jericho

Have they? Or did they just have a good 30 minutes against a tired LSU, 10 minutes against UGA, and 5 good minutes against UF. Yes, some of my strategy here is sandbagging ;), but I am still not convinced they have somehow figured it out. UK still does not know how to win games. See yesterday.

They are beating KSU, no doubt about that in my mind. WSU on the other hand...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused about the "Wichita State got the shaft" train of thought. I think their case for a #1 seed is the flimsiest of the four, so them having a hard bracket shouldn't be the end of the world. Had Michigan or Villanova won their conference tourney, I don't think they'd even be a #1 seed, so they should appreciate the free win and then get ready for a decent team in round 2/3 -- at the end of the day, that is all Kansas State and UK are...decent teams.

Have they? Or did they just have a good 30 minutes against a tired LSU, 10 minutes against UGA, and 5 good minutes against UF. Yes, some of my strategy here is sandbagging ;), but I am still not convinced they have somehow figured it out. UK still does not know how to win games. See yesterday. You normally want to address that before entering a single elimination tournament.

Tough to say. Maybe the schedule broke right and that's how UK ends up in the SEC title game. No matter what the case is there, I don't want to see a rival at any point in the tournament; too many unknowns to calculate when that happens. UK's 2012 team was vastly better than Louisville's but the Cardinals gave them a game right up until the final few minutes. Rivals in tournament play are always dangerous.

I'm confused about the "Wichita State got the shaft" train of thought. I think their case for a #1 seed is the flimsiest of the four, so them having a hard bracket shouldn't be the end of the world. Had Michigan or Villanova won their conference tourney, I don't think they'd even be a #1 seed, so they should appreciate the free win and then get ready for a decent team in round 2/3 -- at the end of the day, that is all Kansas State and UK are...decent teams.

Wichita State didn't get the shaft... They should have been the last of the #1 seeds (if a 1 seed at all), and even though technically they weren't, that's what their bracket should have looked like, IMO.

I think the rationale is that if things go to chalk, WSU, in consecutive rounds will play the 2 most under-seeded teams in the tournament. Take away the names UK and UL. Statistically speaking, that is difficult to accomplish.

Tough to say. Maybe the schedule broke right and that's how UK ends up in the SEC title game. No matter what the case is there, I don't want to see a rival at any point in the tournament; too many unknowns to calculate when that happens. UK's 2012 team was vastly better than Louisville's but the Cardinals gave them a game right up until the final few minutes. Rivals in tournament play are always dangerous.

Louisville by far gave UK their toughest game in the tournament. And UK was significantly better.

I think the rationale is that if things go to chalk, WSU, in consecutive rounds will play the 2 most under-seeded teams in the tournament. Take away the names UK and UL.

I'm not sure UK is as under-seeded as many believe, but I agree about UL being a seed or two too low. I see the point, I guess, but I think the Shockers will be just fine.

I'm not sure UK is as under-seeded as many believe, but I agree about UL being a seed or two too low. I see the point, I guess, but I think the Shockers will be just fine.

That was according to some metric. Can't remember what it is.

I thought 4 was a line or two too low, but don't use rankings for anything -- they mean nothing to the committee and aren't even something that they see in the war-room. Rankings are meaningless.

They are playing well right now, for sure, but their non-conf SOS was terrible and their best non-conf win outside of YUM was Florida International.

May very well be true. However, what the rankings DO tell/show is the quality of team being discussed. At #5, Louisville right now is perceived as one of the best teams in the country. I think they easily played themselves into a #2 seed, and they by far pass any "eye test" anyone wants to give them right now. Why the selection committee thought different than almost everyone else in the country is beyond me.

They got jobbed in their seeding.

May very well be true. However, what the rankings DO tell/show is the quality of team being discussed. At #5, Louisville right now is perceived as one of the best teams in the country. I think they easily played themselves into a #2 seed, and they by far pass any "eye test" anyone wants to give them right now. Why the selection committee thought different than almost everyone else in the country is beyond me.

They got jobbed in their seeding.

The selection committee has long said they weigh heavily the portion of your schedule that you control (non-conf), in that area, UL did nothing to help themselves. Not that hard to grasp really -- although I agree with you they were treated harshly (I thought they'd be a 2 or a 3). The "why" is easy to figure out...just seems they were really hammered for it.

SMU was ranked #25 and never got an invite.

The committee LOVES conference tournaments. After SMU lost to Houston on Thursday night, NC State got that upset over Syracuse the next night. It was only 24 hours and the Mustangs and Wolfpack likely switched places.

The slection committee is not consistant on their criteria: Schedule, Non-conference schedule, conference tournament,body of work, consitentancy. UofL did play at UK and UNC on neutral sites. I love the Shockers but their strength of schedule is 119. They didnt play anyone. Villanova has 1 win over a top 25 team. Syracuse lost 5 out of last 7. Virgina, Duke, or Michigan wins conference title they are a 1 seed. If uofL loses conference title what seed would they have gotten? I get the AAC wasnt strong but it still put 4 teams in and should have gotten 5 in SMU if Coach K doesnt go on a rant about the ACC, getting NC State a play in game. This was a rear ender to UofL. A 3 seed ok but a #4 was a joke.