Cozumel

2 Humped Camel

I just booked a 7 day trip with my wife to Cozumel. This is our first kid free trip and I was wanting to check with the BGP faithful to see if anyone has ever been or has any suggestions on things to do, see, etc. I'd love some tips if you have any.

I will be there 3-29 throught that week. We will be in Playa del Carmen. You will spend time in Playa. It is a 25 min shuttle from Playa to Cozumel.

I just booked a 7 day trip with my wife to Cozumel. This is our first kid free trip and I was wanting to check with the BGP faithful to see if anyone has ever been or has any suggestions on things to do, see, etc. I'd love some tips if you have any.

I live in San Antonio, about two hours from the border. Even the Hispanic kids here don't go to Mexico anymore (even the resorts). Last kid I knew who went lives in Nolan Ryan's neighborhood and they took bodyguards. Stay safe.

It's my school's Spring Break this week, and I know of tons of kids going to beaches and exactly 0 of them are going to ones in Mexico. There's a reason for that, especially when they are opting to go to ones like Port Aransas instead.

Before anyone says anything about me being whatever, I also work in a free legal clinic for less pay than I could get in the private sector and around 90+ percent of the people we help are Hispanic, so I'm not all whatever.

There's a reason you see travel advisories popping up for Mexico and it's not a trip I personally plan to make anytime soon.

Edited by JokersWild24

I live in San Antonio, about two hours from the border. Even the Hispanic kids here don't go to Mexico anymore (even the resorts). Last kid I knew who went lives in Nolan Ryan's neighborhood and they took bodyguards. Stay safe.

It's my school's Spring Break this week, and I know of tons of kids going to beaches and exactly 0 of them are going to ones in Mexico. There's a reason for that, especially when they are opting to go to ones like Port Aransas instead.

Before anyone says anything about me being whatever, I also work in a free legal clinic for less pay than I could get in the private sector and around 90+ percent of the people we help are Hispanic, so I'm not all whatever.

There's a reason you see travel advisories popping up for Mexico and it's not a trip I personally plan to make anytime soon.

I checked before booking and talked to a family member who has been there recently before booking. There are no travel advisories for the area I'm traveling to.

I will be there 3-29 throught that week. We will be in Playa del Carmen. You will spend time in Playa. It is a 25 min shuttle from Playa to Cozumel.

I hadn't really planned on leaving the island once I realized that it's too far of a trip to practically visit Chichen itza but someone else mentioned ruins at Tulum. Would you recomend visting Playa? Keeping in mind we are not savy international travelers, my wife has never been out of the country and I've only been once pre 9/11.

He's not going into Sinoloa or hitting anywhere near the border. There are 2 parts of Mexico. The Aztec and the Maya. The Maya is part of the south and all of the Yucatan Penninsula. Generally this is much safer than what would be considered the mainland. That being said, you can find trouble anywhere if you look hard enough. In Mexico, you really don't have to strain yourself. Going to Cozumel and Playa you will be fine. HUGE populations of European travellers, cruise ships, and too much money to put at risk w/ safety issues.

Acapulco used to be the place to go. That has become a holiday haven for drug cartels. Same with many of the resort towns along the Pacific Coast. I know people that just vacationed down there and they had no issues. I'm sure others ventured further out and may have found trouble. Just be smart. Stay on the beaten path and you will be ok. Try to become buddies w/ someone you don't know and you run the risk of waking up in a bath of ice w/ 2 less kidneys than you started the day with. Again, that can happen anywhere.

I hadn't really planned on leaving the island once I realized that it's too far of a trip to practically visit Chichen itza but someone else mentioned ruins at Tulum. Would you recomend visting Playa? Keeping in mind we are not savy international travelers, my wife has never been out of the country and I've only been once pre 9/11.

I would b/c you can catch the fairy and from the pier walk up to 5th avenue. It has a lot of trendy restaurants, little bars, and a ton of shops. there is about a 12-15 block stretch of this. I would, however, stay on 5th avenue and not venture up to 7th st. and beyond. You will be ok w/ English only on 5th, but you go past that, you run into a language barrier. Additionally, I don't trust a ton of those towns. 99% of the people are good people. It is that 1% that you stay away from and it is tough to get a feel w/out speaking the language. Stay 5th and East to the beach and you'll see everything that you need, have a great day, and be safe.