Cozumel

2 Humped Camel

He's not going into Sinoloa or hitting anywhere near the border. There are 2 parts of Mexico. The Aztec and the Maya. The Maya is part of the south and all of the Yucatan Penninsula. Generally this is much safer than what would be considered the mainland. That being said, you can find trouble anywhere if you look hard enough. In Mexico, you really don't have to strain yourself. Going to Cozumel and Playa you will be fine. HUGE populations of European travellers, cruise ships, and too much money to put at risk w/ safety issues.

Acapulco used to be the place to go. That has become a holiday haven for drug cartels. Same with many of the resort towns along the Pacific Coast. I know people that just vacationed down there and they had no issues. I'm sure others ventured further out and may have found trouble. Just be smart. Stay on the beaten path and you will be ok. Try to become buddies w/ someone you don't know and you run the risk of waking up in a bath of ice w/ 2 less kidneys than you started the day with. Again, that can happen anywhere.

I realize it's nowhere near the border. I also know there used to be huge portions of our school that would go to places like Cozumel for Spring Break and that's no longer the case. Going anywhere in Mexico any longer is something that most around here just don't do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And no, the kind of things I hear of happening in Mexico can, but generally don't, "happen anywhere". Let's be real. People don't avoid going back to family members funerals for fear of being kidnapped in Canada.

I realize it's nowhere near the border. I also know there used to be huge portions of our school that would go to places like Cozumel for Spring Break and that's no longer the case. Going anywhere in Mexico any longer is something that most around here just don't do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And no, the kind of things I hear of happening in Mexico can, but generally don't, "happen anywhere". Let's be real. People don't avoid going back to family members funerals for fear of being kidnapped in Canada.

That's in the mainland. That's what I'm trying to say. The drug war has not affected the peninsula near as much. It is much safer there. Now, you want to venture outside of Playa, Merida, Cancun's hotel zone....that's on you. However, New Orleans is dangerous if you go into the wrong place, so are most major cities.

Another reason that people don't go to Mexico is that it is not the only show in town. The whole Carribbean is flush w/ affordable resorts.

I just went to Cozumel on a cruise, two weeks ago. We were only there from 8 AM to 5 PM, so our options were limited. We went to a place called Mr. Sanchez's. If you are a drinker and like good food, this place is for you. We did the all inclusive and it was $50 a person. This included any and all drinks you wanted from 9AM to 5PM. They have a full menu of drinks that you can choose from and they keep bringing them. The $50 also includes all the food you can eat as well. They have a menu that you can order off of and they bring it right to you. You can order as many drinks and as much food as you want. I highly recommend the coconut shrimp, very good! The price includes a nice chair at the beach, or they have a swim up pool, with a bar attached that you can get drinks. Overall, for everything that we got, it would have cost us easily over $100 a person.

That's in the mainland. That's what I'm trying to say. The drug war has not affected the peninsula near as much. It is much safer there. Now, you want to venture outside of Playa, Merida, Cancun's hotel zone....that's on you. However, New Orleans is dangerous if you go into the wrong place, so are most major cities.

Another reason that people don't go to Mexico is that it is not the only show in town. The whole Carribbean is flush w/ affordable resorts.

I understand that. I'm just saying that "among the safest places in Mexico" isn't really setting the bar very high. That's like saying "among the sanest people in the mental institution".

Our school has officials that pretty much tell us not to go to Mexico. Anywhere.

I've been to New Orleans a few times and I didn't feel unsafe getting into a cab there.

Personally, living in South Texas, I've heard too many stories to go to any place in Mexico, even if I stayed on the resort the entire time. That includes ones from people who used to go places like Cozumel but don't anymore because they say it's too dangerous. I'll take their word for it.

I just went to Cozumel on a cruise, two weeks ago. We were only there from 8 AM to 5 PM, so our options were limited. We went to a place called Mr. Sanchez's. If you are a drinker and like good food, this place is for you. We did the all inclusive and it was $50 a person. This included any and all drinks you wanted from 9AM to 5PM. They have a full menu of drinks that you can choose from and they keep bringing them. The $50 also includes all the food you can eat as well. They have a menu that you can order off of and they bring it right to you. You can order as many drinks and as much food as you want. I highly recommend the coconut shrimp, very good! The price includes a nice chair at the beach, or they have a swim up pool, with a bar attached that you can get drinks. Overall, for everything that we got, it would have cost us easily over $100 a person.

That sounds awesome!

As a frequent visitor to Cozumel I'll add my opinion that Jokers opinion doesnt match reality at all for me and my family . I've been there 7-8 times . Been to its laid back sister Island Isla Mujeres 3 times . I've taken my young family at night to the Island's ( coz) sports center . A lighted soccer complex with BB courts , tennis courts , weight lifting area , boxing ring , and a huge pool . My kids played ball with the locals . Has a blast . Over the course of all those trips I did have someone take my cooler out of my Mexican Ferrari ( convertable VW) Thats all I've ever lost . But I do take the normal precautions . I feel as safe walking the streets there as I do here at home . ( Again you avoid some areas) . But Coz isnt even Cancun -- or PDC . Its safer than those places . There is very little violent crime on Coz . I ask a policeman about serious crime - He said they lock down the ferries , airports and all ways in and out until the crime is solved .

Anyway there is a list of great things I can recommend . TONS, but I need to know a little about how adventuresome you are and your interest . You want to veg out ? Explore ? Drink and Party a little ( will be daytime stuff as Coz doesnt offer much nightlife like Cancun ) Dining -- cheap and good ? romantic ? seafood ? Will you have a car ? Let me know and I'll help you out . also whats of the week will you be there ?? Sundays are the locals day out .

• 1 month later...

We got back last night and I have to say that it was a great trip. We did not rent a car but took taxi's several times to San Miguel and walked around to many of the shops and bars. We took the ferry to Playa and walked around, toured Tulum, went on an organized bar hop on the east side of Cozumel and enjoyed the beach at our resort. I never felt the slightest bit unsafe and would most certainly go back. My favorite part of the trip was Tulum, it was one of the coolest places I've ever visited. We stayed at the Melia which is an older all inclusive resort. It was ok but we were told they had the best beach on the island and it seemed so with all of the rocky beaches. Several local people told us that those travel advisories are really hurting their tourism industry and asked us to share the word that it was safe.

Glad you did the bar hop -- supposed to be loads of fun . Coconuts , Rasta's , Chen Rio , Mexcalitos . !! Hope you got to enjoy some local cuisine and not just the buffet at the hotel ?

We ate at few places down in San Miguel on the main drag although I'm not sure how authentic they were. I can't remember the name of the places but one had rope swings at the bar and the other was on a corner and the name had something to do with a turtle. They had $1 beers and $2 tacos. I'm sure we would have had a more authentic experience had we ate off of the main drag but we didn't. The buffet in our hotel was awful....

The bar hop was awesome and I'd recomend it to anyone that hasn't been to the island. You get to see some beautiful views, really cool bars and meet some very nice people. Our hop guide handed me a "menu" while at coconuts for me to view, it was full of items that looked good. lol