NKY Coach of the Year

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why without question.

HHS is 20-5, HC is 20-6. HHS has everyone back, HC lost their core team outside of Steeken. Plus Goetz beat Schlarman heads up. Without question is a little bold.

Just because I knew that you would pick Goetz. :D Seriously, I believe that Highlands has played a pretty tough schedule of which only five were at home. Think this speaks volumes IMO.

Some things are so predictible that it makes me chuckle.

I would not be so bold as to list one deserving coach but would think these deserve recognition;

Mike Herald at Beechwood. Yeah, Romes is a stud but he has gotten contribution from the other players to make a strong team where there was nothing before.

David Henley at Holmes. Easily the toughest job this year and many BGPers still like them to win the 9th.

Jim Hicks at Conner. I saw them at the beginning of the year and they were awful. They have developed into a team that could win the 33rd and make it to the Regional.

Aric Russell at Newport. Has done a great job in not the easiest situation. They could very easily beat NCC (possibly HHS) and make it to the regional tournament as well.

Willie, Erik and Coach L (Biggs & Code if including them also) have done a great job but with a great deal of talent and support.

I would not be so bold as to list one deserving coach but would think these deserve recognition;

Mike Herald at Beechwood. Yeah, Romes is a stud but he has gotten contribution from the other players to make a strong team where there was nothing before.

David Henley at Holmes. Easily the toughest job this year and many BGPers still like them to win the 9th.

Jim Hicks at Conner. I saw them at the beginning of the year and they were awful. They have developed into a team that could win the 33rd and make it to the Regional.

Aric Russell at Newport. Has done a great job in not the easiest situation. They could very easily beat NCC (possibly HHS) and make it to the regional tournament as well.

Willie, Erik and Coach L (Biggs & Code if including them also) have done a great job but with a great deal of talent and support.

I'm not sure I'd agree that Willie has a lot of talent. Other than Vories, I'd consider the rest of them as average players who worked their tails off. Sorry respective players and parents thereof but it was intended as a compliment. I think Willie deserves the nod for taking a bunch of average players, devising a system that they can be successful in and getting them to get the maximum amount out of their talent.

1. Pendetlon and HC lost alot from last year, for both teams to have the records they do speak volumes.

2. Holmes was suppose to win this year, they had the most talent. If Holmes till wins region with the loss of Greg Rice then I agree with you.

3. Newport in most pre-season polls was predicted higher than HC, and most thought was the most talented team outside of Holmes and CCH. So I don't k now how this coach even gets mentioned.

4. I'll agree with Hicks I think year in and year out he is in the elite group of coaches in the 9th and I do think they are starting to gel.

If we are going to include Pendleton, then I will cast my vote for Gallatin Co.'s Jon Jones.

The Wildcats are 17-8 despite having only 1 senior. His rotation also includes 3 juniors, 3 sophs, and 2 frosh.

Gallatin also is small, has no consistent three point threat, and are dreadful at the foul line. They also have a heart that could not fit into most gyms.

They won the 8th Region Class A, though most thought they were a year away. They have lost only 1 game they "should" have won, a 1 point road loss last week.

The most telling stat is they are 14-3 in games decided by 9 points or less.

That, my friends, is no accident. That points to terrific coaching.

Division 1- Mike Listerman (He has a lot of talent but he's still produced. Sometimes I really think it's tougher to coach a lot of talent because of egos, parents & playing time. He seems to keep everyone happy & still win)

Division 2- Willie Schlarman & Erik Goetz ( Both have done tremendous jobs this year with better than average talent but not great talent. Probably the two best X's & O's guys around)

Division 3- Tony Bacilgalupo ( Walked into a tough situation and has done a great job. I really think he'll be at one of the major schools one day. All he needs is experience & he'll get all he wants at SG)