Murray 27 Caldwell County 14

bugatti

I think Murray tanked their game plan in the October meeting, knowing they would get another shot at Caldwell.

You don't want to be unbeaten and play Murray in the playoffs.

2013 - Caldwell County 12-0 -- Murray wins 27-14

2012 - Owensboro Catholic 11-0 -- Murray wins 29-22 in 2 OT

2011 - Owensboro Catholic 12-0 - Murray wins 17-14

The ol' rope-a-dope!

Caldwell once won a regional softball championship by throwing an eighth grader against Christian County during the regular season then bringing out the ace in the regional final.

Murray probably figured it had one shot to beat Caldwell, no sense wasting it during the regular season.

Even with everything that went wrong for Caldwell, it still had chances to pull this one out, just didn't get it done.

Murray had more players that played hard and executed than did Caldwell. Plain and simple. You win games by making plays.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of in disagreement with the thinking that if you are a team like Caldwell County, you take the game out of your stud QB's hands by running the ball. Go with what got you there. I can't imagine what would be said if they switched things up and went with a ground-and-pound, three yards and a cloud of dust philosophy and lost. If Caldwell County wanted to have their best chance at winning this game, they were going to do it with Sindelar's arm, and it sounds like that's what they tried to do.

Yes and no. They have flung the ball all year, but Caldwell has also been great at running the ball. They were solid running the ball last night as well; much more effective than passing.

From what I saw on the replays and what I saw in person against Mayfield, it was Caldwell's defense that let them down. They gave up too many big plays and did poor tackling.

Caldwell had crackerjack offense that wasn't in sync and they had mediocre defense that played like a mediocre defense.

The ol' rope-a-dope!

Caldwell once won a regional softball championship by throwing an eighth grader against Christian County during the regular season then bringing out the ace in the regional final.

Murray probably figured it had one shot to beat Caldwell, no sense wasting it during the regular season.

Even with everything that went wrong for Caldwell, it still had chances to pull this one out, just didn't get it done.

Murray had more players that played hard and executed than did Caldwell. Plain and simple. You win games by making plays.

Execution is hitting the nail on the head. I didn't see the game but did listen closely at the start of the 4th quarter when Caldwell took over on their own 5. They passed and ran right down the field. They were at the Murray 4 in 6 or 7 plays. Now from there; Murray defense stood up. 4 plays and Caldwell gained one yard on one run attempt. The other 3 plays were in the air and all incomplete. If Caldwell scores there, most likely they win. It would have cut the lead to 6 and all momentum goes to Caldwell's side. Caldwell had 3 possessions in the 4th quarter; all stalled in Murray territory. The last one was an interception in the endzone. I'm not going to give credit to the weather. It goes to Murray's defense.

Just one of those years. Like LB said, I have no doubt NCC was the best 2A team in 2011, but they played flat and lost to holy cross. It just happens unfortunately. With Sindelar returning though, I expect CC faithful will be expecting a similar result to what happened to NCC the following year (2012) after being upset the year before.

I guess I will take a helping of that crow myself. Congrats to Murray on executing a good game plan. I will be rooting for them next week. Our tigers played another subpar game tonight. They played extremely conservative. I dont know what game some on here were watching, but if you think Caldwell was going for the big plays tonight you havent seen them play this year. Yes, the weather did play a role in this one, but this team didn't get to 12 and 0 running the ball. Very much a pass first team. Twice I can think of we got in the red zone and failed to score. With Sindelar (one of the best qb in the state) and Pepper (6' 8" wr) never even attempted a hook up in those situations. Makes one scratch your head doesn't it. Way too late to change a game plan this time of year.

Sure about this? I think both fed off each other. Going into the game last night, the stats at that point were:

2, 666 Rushing yards on 329 attempts and 38 TD's

3, 133 Passing on 274 attempts and 42 TD's.

Granted, as always, there are variables that alter why stats read the way they do (in many games this year, they were running the clock on people).

I would say that in terms of "balance" as it refers to run/pass ratio, that both parts of their game increased the others productivity & earned them their 12 wins.