Covington Catholic 26 Ryle 17

Birdsfan

The difference was this. CCH got the ball back deep in Ryle territory with @ 1:45 to go. If they got it back in their own territory I can see where you play it more safe.

A fumbled hand off is still a fumbled hand off. If Ryle didn't have enough time outs to extend to another possession the risk out ways the reward IMO.

Still have zero problem with them running it in, just a difference of opinion.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference was this. CCH got the ball back deep in Ryle territory with @ 1:45 to go. If they got it back in their own territory I can see where you play it more safe.

I've seen teams take a knee up 3 inside opponents 10. It's the "smart" play. Hey it didn't backfire, that's great. But if it had you would be singin a different tune.

A fumbled hand off is still a fumbled hand off. If Ryle didn't have enough time outs to extend to another possession the risk out ways the reward IMO.

Still have zero problem with them running it in, just a difference of opinion.

Not sure they're going to get it. Some saying about a forest and some trees might apply here...

As always I need to preface my strategy comments with the fact that the next high school game I coach will be my first so... FWIW

No way I do anything other than take a knee IF Ryle was out of TOs. Why risk an injury? Why risk a fumbled handoff and a return? What does CCH get out of it by running a play IF (again, key) they could just take a knee? Why risk injury to Dressman when you have so many players hurt?

As always I need to preface my strategy comments with the fact that the next high school game I coach will be my first so... FWIW

No way I do anything other than take a knee IF Ryle was out of TOs. Why risk an injury? Why risk a fumbled handoff and a return? What does CCH get out of it by running a play IF (again, key) they could just take a knee? Why risk injury to Dressman when you have so many players hurt?

Yes, it should have been kneel down time to insure it was impossible for Ryle to get the ball back due to a turnover. It was one of those situations where Ryle could have let them walk-in to the end zone on first down and hope for another missed extra point to make it an 8-point deficit with 1:35 to go.

It worked out for CovCath but was not the best in coaching strategy. Kneeling down was the best strategy. The decision has nothing to do with "running up the score". It was Ryle's job to keep them out of the end zone and CovCath was sticking with conservative running plays.

Congrats to CovCath on a major comeback.

They had one left and they used it the third play on CCH's drive. Would have probably used it the second play but the player was forced OB so they didn't have to.

So they could have knee'd it after the 2nd play and Ryle would be done.

Again, Dave makes the calls. I just don't get the logic behind this one.

I don't recall in the prediction thread anyone thinking the game would be this close. Did Ryle's defense stifle CCHS's offense or was the offense stale? I know Ryle got some big production from England early but went out with an injury? The question remains, does this game say more for Cov Cath or Ryle? Can Ryle compete with their remaining district opponents?

I don't recall in the prediction thread anyone thinking the game would be this close. Did Ryle's defense stifle CCHS's offense or was the offense stale? I know Ryle got some big production from England early but went out with an injury? The question remains, does this game say more for Cov Cath or Ryle? Can Ryle compete with their remaining district opponents?

By John Lachmann KyPost

Comment from the article

With two more linemen out this week, that makes six starting injuries to starting offensive players, including two receivers, senior running back Luke Bir and junior quarterback Adam Wagner.

Comment from TOG: and that doesn't include the three players from the "D" side of the ball!

So IMHO it says more about having so many injuries to your starting players and still coming out with a win!

Check out the scores of the two teams this year and you will probably be surprised Cov Cath scored as much as they did, especially with a couple linemen out. CCH's offense is just ok and Ryle's defense is pretty good.

I will be surprised if Ryle beats Campbell Co. or Dixie.

I don't have a problem with it. Its just bad coaching. Imagine what the reaction would be if they did make a mistake that resulted in the ball going the other way. You all would be screaming about them not taking a knee.

I wouldn't be screaming about anything. This game meant essentially nothing for CovCath. With that thought in mind if you are Coach Wirth you have to do what you think is best for the psyche of your football team.

I don't know how you gauge excitement, but I guarantee what these kids do not lack is heart and resolve. Could have folded their tent after the 3rd quarter very easily but gutted it out.

Now if your talking about the Colonel Crazies, I agree- no excitement.

Obviously I'm happy that they didn't pack it in after their first three quarters. However, my problem is largely with the fact that they didn't show up for those first three quarters of the game. The players weren't energetic on the sideline, or on the field really for that matter. Players walking around on the field...that's something you should NEVER see. If you watch the tapes, it was happening all over the place. There were Cov Cath parents at the game complaining about it as well.

And yes, we agree about the Crazies.