Covington Catholic 26 Ryle 17

Birdsfan

I wouldn't be screaming about anything. This game meant essentially nothing for CovCath. With that thought in mind if you are Coach Wirth you have to do what you think is best for the psyche of your football team.

In the district standings and playoff seeding, you are 100% correct. It did mean nothing.

So if that is the case, why would the coach be so worried about his team's "psyche". In a meaningless game is scoring a meaningless touchdown that big of a mental boost. With the number of injuries CovCath has at this time I would be limiting plays and therefore limiting opportunities for further injury.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really take notice until the fourth quarter, but I saw that the Colonels offensive line was running all of their plays from a 2-point stance. Have they been doing that all year and I only noticed it now? I don't understand why you would have your line run-block from a 2-point stance. Anyone have any insight into that?

In the district standings and playoff seeding, you are 100% correct. It did mean nothing.

So if that is the case, why would the coach be so worried about his team's "psyche". In a meaningless game is scoring a meaningless touchdown that big of a mental boost. With the number of injuries CovCath has at this time I would be limiting plays and therefore limiting opportunities for further injury.

Because now Coach Wirth can look at every player on the roster and tell them all when we make our mind up we are going to play our best football we can score at will.

I didn't really take notice until the fourth quarter, but I saw that the Colonels offensive line was running all of their plays from a 2-point stance. Have they been doing that all year and I only noticed it now? I don't understand why you would have your line run-block from a 2-point stance. Anyone have any insight into that?

All have been in a two point stance all year and last year as well. Not unusual at all in the world of Spread offenses.

I look at it this way as an outsider to these 2 teams.

If the Bengals were up by 2 near the end of the game and had the ball and couldn't run the clock out by kneeling on the ball, what would I want them to do?

I'd want them to try and get a first down so they could then run the clock out by kneeling on the ball. I would not want them to kneel on the ball and then punt it to the opposing team with a shot of winning with only a FG.

I think CCH did the right thing.

All have been in a two point stance all year and last year as well. Not unusual at all in the world of Spread offenses.

I generally thought that was more typical in an air raid spread. At this stage of the game, with a sophomore quarterback who has had some struggles with throwing on the run, I would see the 3-point stance run blocking as nothing but a benefit. Just by the nature of the way on offensive lineman comes out of their stance off the snap, it gets a bigger push up front right off the ball.

Another thing I was pondering while watching the Ryle game....when was the last time I saw Cov Cath run a quick slant pass or a short post?