Covington Catholic 26 Ryle 17

Birdsfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First to anyone who complains about a team not taking a knee even with seconds let on the clock only up two points needs to understand that you need to put the game away. If CovCath were up by nine or more points at that time, then I would agree take the knee but up only two points, put the game away.

As far as the CovCath players, most have no idea how many more starters were out today. It's starting to resemble a hospital ward on the sidelines for CovCath this year!

I will also say this about Ryle. For a school the size of Ryle it surprised me to be seeing so many players going both ways and I was thinking keep the score close, as in the fourth quarter I looked for Ryle to start getting tired and IMHO they did.

Proud of how the "D" held Ryle to only 7 points as the other 10 were completely on the CovCath "O" but the "O" came alive in the fourth quarter when they needed to and scored all of their 26 points in the fourth quarter.

Remember you don't get extra W's for winning a game by a large amount of points but you do get a "W" for just outscoring them.

"With a spirit that will not Die" and the team BTW did earn a "W", even if some of the fans on the CovCath side weren't too happy, coming into the fourth quarter. Honestly they play 4 quarters of Football and not three for a reason!

CovCath students be safe, be gentlemen and have fun tonight at your dance, you earned it!

Taking "The Boss" out to dinner tonight, to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary!

I have no problem with a team making it a two score game at any time.

I fully agree as long as you don't risk a fumble or some such. In a fair matchup, it's the Os job to score and the Ds job to stop them. I have never once felt upset when the other team kept its foot on the pedal. Frankly, I think I would have been insulted if they hadn't. I'm mad at our D for not hitting harder or acting smarter, starting with coaches.

First to anyone who complains about a team not taking a knee even with seconds let on the clock only up two points needs to understand that you need to put the game away. If CovCath were up by nine or more points at that time, then I would agree take the knee but up only two points, put the game away.

As far as the CovCath players, most have no idea how many more starters were out today. It starting to resemble a hospital ward on the sidelines for CovCath this year!

I will also say this about Ryle. For a school the size of Ryle it surprised me to be seeing so many players going both ways and I was thinking keep the score close, as in the fourth quarter I looked for Ryle to start getting tired and IMHO they did.

Proud of how the "D" held Ryle to only 7 points as the other 10 were completely on the CovCath "O" but the "O" came alive in the fourth quarter when it they needed to and scored all of their 26 points in the fourth quarter.

Remember you don't get extra W's for winning a game by a large amount of points but you do get a "W" for just outscoring them.

"With a spirit that will not Die" and the team BTW did earn a "W", even if some of the fans on the CovCath side weren't too happy, coming into the 4th quarter. Honestly they play 4 quarters of Football and not three for a reason!

CovCath students be safe, be gentlemen and have fun tonight at your dance, you earned it!

Taking "The Boss" out to dinner tonight, to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary!

Taking a knee is putting the game away. Running plays is still leaving the door open. Coaching 101

Taking a knee is putting the game away. Running plays is still leaving the door open. Coaching 101

I hear what you are saying but I wonder if in this case Coach Wirth thought it was better for his team if they went ahead and put another one on the board. In other words, for three quarters CCH was pretty much embarrassed by a team that didn't figure to make it a game and when CCH finally got their act together they stepped on the gas and didn't let up until the game was over.

This is just me thinking aloud and like I said before I have no problem with CCH scoring another TD.

Ryle Vs. Covington Catholic Scoring Summary

7-0 Ryle

3:37 1st quarter

Rytlewski to England 72 TD pass

Bouldin PAT good

4 plays 84 yards

End of the 1st quarter score

Ryle 7 Covington Catholic 0

10-0 Ryle

6:39 2nd quarter

Bouldin 37 yard FG

6 plays 17 yards

End of the 1st half score

Ryle 10 Covington Catholic 0

17-0 Ryle

9:01 3rd quarter

Brandt 46 yard interception ran back for TD

Bouldin PAT good

End of the 3rd quarter score

Ryle 17 Covington Catholic 0

17-7 CovCath

11:53 4th quarter

B. Dressman to McDowell 25 yard TD pass

Litzler PAT good

9 plays 61 yards

17-13 CovCath

7:36 4th quarter

B. Dressman to Hatter 17 yard TD pass

Litzler PAT no good

6 plays 45 yards

19-17 CovCath

4:35 4th quarter

B. Dressman 15 yard TD run

Litzler PAT no good

8 plays 68 yards

26-17 CovCath

0.25 4th quarter

S. Dressman 1 yard TD run

Litzler PAT good

5 plays 25 yards

End of the game final score

Covington Catholic 26 Ryle 17

Two more missed PAT's; guess that isn't ironed out. Sounds like the 4th Q was exciting.

Two more missed PAT's; guess that isn't ironed out. Sounds like the 4th Q was exciting.

Just for clarification....sorry TOG, not meaning to correct you.....

Litzler hit the first PAT.

The second pat was good, but play was whistled dead on encroachment. Rekick went wide left but struck well.

Next missed PAT was the Freshman Hornsby (not Litzler)

Last PAT was good....Litzler on the kick.

PS...happy 43rd to you and your lovely bride !!!

Just for clarification....sorry TOG, not meaning to correct you.....

Litzler hit the first PAT.

The second pat was good, but play was whistled dead on encroachment. Rekick went wide left but struck well.

Next missed PAT was the Freshman Hornsby (not Litzler)

Last PAT was good....Litzler on the kick.

PS...happy 43rd to you and your lovely bride !!!

On a related note, I absolutely hate the rule of calling the play dead on defensive encroachment on a PAT/ FG. In my opinion, if the D jumps offsides and the O still makes the kick they should have the choice to take or decline the penalty.

Having said all that, the kicking game is a big problem. Litzler is inconsistent and in the Beechwood game the holder bobbled two of the snaps. Got to be addressed.

On a related note, I absolutely hate the rule of calling the play dead on defensive encroachment on a PAT/ FG. In my opinion, if the D jumps offsides and the O still makes the kick they should have the choice to take or decline the penalty.

Having said all that, the kicking game is a big problem. Litzler is inconsistent and in the Beechwood game the holder bobbled two of the snaps. Got to be addressed.

I agree. I think at the least, the encroachment should be able to be enforced on the kickoff.

CovCath fans, understand CovCath is 5-2 and with all the injures to this team (9 out of the starting 22 were out today due to injuries) thankful we won. Instead of bitching and complaining, be thankful that the Coaching staff has been able with the subs to win the games CovCath is suppose to win and look forward to the next couple of weeks when the starters will return!

CovCath fans, understand CovCath is 5-2 and with all the injures to this team (9 out of the starting 22 were out today due to injuries) thankful we won. Instead of bitching and complaining, be thankful that the Coaching staff has been able with the subs to win the games CovCath is suppose to win and look forward to the next couple of weeks when the starters will return!

And the two losses came to Highlands and Moeller. CCH will be better in the playoffs if they can get the kids back. They won every game they were supposed to and loss the two we thought they would. I agree with you people need to chill out.

I hear what you are saying but I wonder if in this case Coach Wirth thought it was better for his team if they went ahead and put another one on the board. In other words, for three quarters CCH was pretty much embarrassed by a team that didn't figure to make it a game and when CCH finally got their act together they stepped on the gas and didn't let up until the game was over.

This is just me thinking aloud and like I said before I have no problem with CCH scoring another TD.

I don't have a problem with it. Its just bad coaching. Imagine what the reaction would be if they did make a mistake that resulted in the ball going the other way. You all would be screaming about them not taking a knee.

I don't have a problem with it. Its just bad coaching. Imagine what the reaction would be if they did make a mistake that resulted in the ball going the other way. You all would be screaming about them not taking a knee.

The difference was this. CCH got the ball back deep in Ryle territory with @ 1:45 to go. If they got it back in their own territory I can see where you play it more safe.