Miller to visit Louisville

That's a good amount. I knew most of those kids had at least intended on playing in college except for Burns.

As I said, I know of one D1 player, being Skidmore, and that is still the only one. I know for a fact that Brian was a walk on and gave it up before the semester even ended at UK. I would give him credit as being at Gtown though. To my knowledge, Vince never played a season at Morehead either. I love the Powell's they are great people, but thats just the way it would be seen. Justin also never played a day of college baseball.

If you still really believe one player can make such a difference in a baseball team, I cant help but laugh. Middlesboro had some good baseball players on that team. It's unfair to Brian to suggest that he carried that team on his back. Brian was a good leader for that team and a darn good baseball player, but it is ridiculous to suggest he alone was the reason that team had the success they did. You should ask him what he thinks, I think you know him well enough. ;)

I've got an idea who you are, and I think you know a lot of credit for the way Mboro baseball dominated Bell was b/c the coach prepared all his players to play at a high level. At Bell, only a couple of us were at that level. It's not hard to figure out.

Heed your own advice that you gave bellco14.

First of all,

"I know for a fact that Brian was a walk on and gave it up before the semester even ended at UK."

Wrong. Brian was at UK for a year and a half. That break you think he took, had a torn labrum repaired and was on medical redshirt. He also wasn't necessarily a walk-on. He made a 30 on his ACT and was going to school free, meaning no need for a scholarship. Your first comment was that after hearing all of that, you still only know of 1 DI player?? So do non-scholarship players not count for DI players?? That is the most silly thing I have ever heard. Is Durrel White a DI player??

Fact is, like I said to begin all of this DI talk, each of these guys were recruited and signed by DI teams. By signing, that means you are not a walk-on, that means you are a recruited commitment. It may not be a scholarship player for whatever reason, but it doesn't mean walk-on.

And Justin did play a full season. Glad to know you have your facts straight. Here is a link to Cumberland's statistics page from last season.

http://www.cumberlandcollege.edu/athletics/baseball/stats/FinalSeason%20Box.html

And what exactly does this mean:

"I like how you said you were a "3rd generation D1 athlete." Nice to hide behind a name."???

ukbellco14, you did a heck of a job handing the ball off to the players that mattered in high school. Congrats!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all,

"I know for a fact that Brian was a walk on and gave it up before the semester even ended at UK."

Wrong. Brian was at UK for a year and a half. That break you think he took, had a torn labrum repaired and was on medical redshirt. He also wasn't necessarily a walk-on. He made a 30 on his ACT and was going to school free, meaning no need for a scholarship. Your first comment was that after hearing all of that, you still only know of 1 DI player?? So do non-scholarship players not count for DI players?? That is the most silly thing I have ever heard. Is Durrel White a DI player??

Fact is, like I said to begin all of this DI talk, each of these guys were recruited and signed by DI teams. By signing, that means you are not a walk-on, that means you are a recruited commitment. It may not be a scholarship player for whatever reason, but it doesn't mean walk-on.

And Justin did play a full season. Glad to know you have your facts straight. Here is a link to Cumberland's statistics page from last season.

http://www.cumberlandcollege.edu/athletics/baseball/stats/FinalSeason%20Box.html

"I like how you said you were a "3rd generation D1 athlete." Nice to hide behind a name."???

ukbellco14, you did a heck of a job handing the ball off to the players that mattered in high school. Congrats!!

Darn right! LMAO. Although, I had my fair share of rushing and receiving yards and TD's against the Boro though.

As far as being D1. If you are a walk on you SIGN NOTHING! I know this for a fact. Some of my best friends are walk ons, on both the football and baseball team at UK.

As far as Durrel White goes. He was on a Robinson scholarship. That is why UK never had to offer a full ride. Robinson scholly's and full academic rides are very very different. Durrell had the Robinson scholly before UK even started to recruit him. It would have been a waste to offer him a athletic scholly, because if he wanted to be at UK, he could do so for free with out the athletic scholly. This saved UK one scholly, but got them a LEGIT D1 ATHLETE.

Now if you reverse the situation, and Durrell did not have the Robinson, irregardless of his academic standing, he would have gotten a athletic scholly.

I would not count Brian's academic scholarship as = to a full athletic scholly because if that was the case, then any kid that could get a full academic ride to UK, and was good enough to get an athletic scholly, would never get an athletic scholly. UK would just put them on academic rides in order to save that sport a scholly, while picking up a player. It doesnt work that way though. I know in my personal situation I could have, with a little work, gotten a full academic ride to UK based on my GPA and ACT scores. However, it never came to that. If Brian was good enough to get a full ride to UK on baseball, he would have gotten one, PERIOD.

As far as the walk on comment about how they arent D1 athletes being crap. Well you are wrong my friend. VERY VERY FEW walk ons are D1A quality athletes. Vouch, some are. I know a few. However, most are not. Trust me.

First of all,

Jeremy played a few games at ETSU. Brian was done after a semester with baseball. He may have stayed at UK longer, but baseball was a semester. I talked to him. He said he was concentrating on school. Then he went to Gtown and played a year.

I'm learning even more and more that you have no idea what you are talking about with this recruitment/committment/signing stuff.

I could have been wrong on Stewart. I know he is no longer with Cumberland. I forgot how old I was. :creepy:

I said that, b/c I figured out who you were and in quoting you, I know you were not completely truthful. It's easy to hide behind a BGP name when people dont know who you are.

bellco14 did what he was told and had success. He got to one of his ultimate goals and is actually continuing through with it. He did a few other things than you mention. Middlesboro would have been lucky to have him.

Darn right! LMAO. Although, I had my fair share of rushing and receiving yards and TD's against the Boro though.

As far as being D1. If you are a walk on you SIGN NOTHING! I know this for a fact. Some of my best friends are walk ons, on both the football and baseball team at UK.

As far as Durrel White goes. He was on a Robinson scholarship. That is why UK never had to offer a full ride. Robinson scholly's and full academic rides are very very different. Durrell had the Robinson scholly before UK even started to recruit him. It would have been a waste to offer him a athletic scholly, because if he wanted to be at UK, he could do so for free with out the athletic scholly. This saved UK one scholly, but got them a LEGIT D1 ATHLETE.

Now if you reverse the situation, and Durrell did not have the Robinson, irregardless of his academic standing, he would have gotten a athletic scholly.

I would not count Brian's academic scholarship as = to a full athletic scholly because if that was the case, then any kid that could get a full academic ride to UK, and was good enough to get an athletic scholly, would never get an athletic scholly. UK would just put them on academic rides in order to save that sport a scholly, while picking up a player. It doesnt work that way though. I know in my personal situation I could have, with a little work, gotten a full academic ride to UK based on my GPA and ACT scores. However, it never came to that. If Brian was good enough to get a full ride to UK on baseball, he would have gotten one, PERIOD.

As far as the walk on comment about how they arent D1 athletes being crap. Well you are wrong my friend. VERY VERY FEW walk ons are D1A quality athletes. Vouch, some are. I know a few. However, most are not. Trust me.

That is exactly what I was saying. All of those guys mentioned that went D1 SIGNED A LOI. Which means, they weren't walk-ons, the were recruited commitments.

Concerning Brian not being good enough to get a full ride to UK on baseball, very few people actually get fullrides in baseball. If you knew the ins and outs of baseball recruiting, then you would know that. Brian could be in about 6 record categories but asked his coach not to enter his name for them because it wasn't about him.

Brian was making money while at UK. With KEES and his academic scholarship, as well as other scholarships, he didn't even care about getting baseball money. And believe me, he was good enough to play at that level. However, he had other plans for his life and is now in the position to pick his choice of graduate schools. As far as this subject regarding Brian and these other players go, I consider the matter finished. It is way off subject and you all have not a single clue as to the complexity of each of their situations as I don't know the complexity of your alls.

However, the article that was just provided made things real simple for you boys.

And how did this quote taste...

"Jones said Miller has offers from a bunch of schools, including Belmont, Tennessee Tech, Morehead State and Lincoln Memorial." -via Courier Journal.

Three D1s and a DII. Not too shabby if you ask me.

That is exactly what I was saying. All of those guys mentioned that went D1 SIGNED A LOI. Which means, they weren't walk-ons, the were recruited commitments.

Concerning Brian not being good enough to get a full ride to UK on baseball, very few people actually get fullrides in baseball. If you knew the ins and outs of baseball recruiting, then you would know that. Brian could be in about 6 record categories but asked his coach not to enter his name for them because it wasn't about him.

Brian was making money while at UK. With KEES and his academic scholarship, as well as other scholarships, he didn't even care about getting baseball money. And believe me, he was good enough to play at that level. However, he had other plans for his life and is now in the position to pick his choice of graduate schools. As far as this subject regarding Brian and these other players go, I consider the matter finished. It is way off subject and you all have not a single clue as to the complexity of each of their situations as I don't know the complexity of your alls.

However, the article that was just provided made things real simple for you boys.

And how did this quote taste...

"Jones said Miller has offers from a bunch of schools, including Belmont, Tennessee Tech, Morehead State and Lincoln Memorial." -via Courier Journal.

Three D1s and a DII. Not too shabby if you ask me.

It wasn't an official visit, so I was misinformed. Sorry. However, the fact of the matter is that he does have D1 ability and that several coaches at that level seem to agree.

About Miller.........I never denied that he had D1 ability. I have stated numerous times that I think he deserves the shot and has the ability.

However, D1 ability at Morehead and Tennessee Tech is alot different from the D1 ability it takes to play at UofL. I understand there is no differentiation in college basketball, but in all reality those 2 schools are D1AA and D3, meaning they couldnt compete with the big boys and therefore dont recruit the big boys.

If Miller was on the D1 level it took to play at UofL he would have offers from EKU, WKU, UK, or UofL. I think he has the ability personally, just not the height or HS program to get him there.

In closing, I just hate when ppl OVERHYPE this stuff. Congrats to Miller for getting a visit. But in all reality it amounts to nothing, and it doesnt prove anything.

About the whole scholarship deal.......... you are right, there are very few full ride baseball schollys. However, there are lots of partials, which are technically the equivalent of a full. However, Brian didnt even have a partial scholly for baseball. Therefore, he didnt SIGN A LOI as a walk on.

I also never said he wasnt good enough to play at that level (although that will remain forever an unknown). I just said that to say that all D1 walk ons are D1 athletes is ridiculous, because most arent even close. In all honesty if HE really believed he was good enough to play at that level he should have stuck it out, because it probably would have worked out for him.

However, it is my experience with walk on players that very few QUIT. Heck, they walked on with no payment for their services, so its obviously not in their attitude to just QUIT. Most are told not to come back, or are politely pushed out the door. Not saying that that is what happened in Brian's case, just saying that's how it usually works. I totally understand about the injury, and that sucks, BIG TIME. I'm sure that played into his decision as well.

It doesn't hurt to have a high school coach to help push the hype either. The Middlesboro coach has done just about everything he can to help this kid get a better offer than LMU.

That's probably below the belt

How many former players on this site wished that their coach would have been more aggressive about getting them a scholarship?

I think Miller ability is worth a coach giving it his all.

Mike Fields wrote a bit about him a few weeks back, must be one heck of a three point shooter. How tall is Miller?
Miller is about 5'11 or 6'0. He would have to play the point @ the D-1 level because of his size. I would like to see someone take a chance on this kid because he can really score.

That's probably below the belt

How many former players on this site wished that their coach would have been more aggressive about getting them a scholarship?

I think Miller ability is worth a coach giving it his all.

I agree. Very few kids would ever get noticed if not for the help of a coach. I dont see Jones helping Miller in every way possible reflects badly on Miller.

It wasn't an official visit, so I was misinformed. Sorry. However, the fact of the matter is that he does have D1 ability and that several coaches at that level seem to agree.

Being misinformed from the start, doesnt do much for your credibility with the rest of the stuff you said. Look before you leap. :sssh: