Miller to visit Louisville

If you sent an email, resend it because I didn't get it. Also you were wanting to know some mid-major teams recruiting him or DI-AA, I mentioned earlier in the thread that Morehead St. (OVC), Southern Ill. (Missouri Valley Conference), and Belmont Univ. (Atlantic Sun Conference) are all heavily recruiting him.

Jim Schue, I think it is crazy that you would think a guy who has made 139 3's this year at 43% wouldn't be the shooter on other teams. I am a Middlesboro grad but I have also expressed disgust in our basketball program several times. I think Miller is the best player we have had since Buell in early 80's (McDonalds All-American). The 13th region isn't the best all the way through but mind you 2 of the final 8 teams left in the tournament last year are from the 13th Region, including the defending state champion. He has also lit up Clay County and North Laurel on a few occasions and these teams have been historically solid every year.

I think it is crazy to assume that these numbers translate across the board indefinitely, regardless of an upgrade in competition. Middlesboro plays an awful schedule, and that flatters Miller, inflating his numbers. He may be "the shooter" on other teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be the scorer. Big difference. Jerry Sichting, Jon Paxson, Michael Adams were shooters in the pros. But they weren't going out scoring 28 a game.

I stand by my statement that he would be a role player only on the top teams in the state, and not the star. And I stand by my statement that if he were playing for the top teams in the state, which generally play the best competition in the state night in and night out, that he would find things a bit more difficult.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is crazy to assume that these numbers translate across the board indefinitely, regardless of an upgrade in competition. Middlesboro plays an awful schedule, and that flatters Miller, inflating his numbers. He may be "the shooter" on other teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be the scorer. Big difference. Jerry Sichting, Jon Paxson, Michael Adams were shooters in the pros. But they weren't going out scoring 28 a game.

I stand by my statement that he would be a role player only on the top teams in the state, and not the star. And I stand by my statement that if he were playing for the top teams in the state, which generally play the best competition in the state night in and night out, that he would find things a bit more difficult.

I watched a Lexington game yesterday between Bryan Station and Lafeyette and I can assure you, he will be a key player for either of those teams tonight. We just agree to disagree I suppose. If he can shoot 43% on a team with no other threat translating to a couple of hands in his face, then he can shoot at least 43% man up.

bellco14, Morehead state gives scholarships in everything but football. Don't know if the other schools have offered or not. I simply know they are recruiting him hard.

I watched a Lexington game yesterday between Bryan Station and Lafeyette and I can assure you, he will be a key player for either of those teams tonight. We just agree to disagree I suppose. If he can shoot 43% on a team with no other threat translating to a couple of hands in his face, then he can shoot at least 43% man up.

Role players are key players. Just not necessarily stars. I think he would be a key player for a lot of really good teams, and would start for many of them. Maybe not all.

Answer me this: Do you think Middlesboro's awful schedule has inflated his numbers?

I think that the schedule has allowed him to make more threes but I think his percentage would be even better from the arc if he was on a better team and not drawing the complete attention of the opposition. I think Middlesboro plays as good as schedule as a team from any other region except regions 6, 7, 8, and 11.

bellco14, Morehead state gives scholarships in everything but football. Don't know if the other schools have offered or not. I simply know they are recruiting him hard.

What constitutes "recruiting hard"?!

I will be curious to see how all this plays out, exactly what schools offer Miller, and where he ends up playing college ball at in the end!

I think that the schedule has allowed him to make more threes but I think his percentage would be even better from the arc if he was on a better team and not drawing the complete attention of the opposition. I think Middlesboro plays as good as schedule as a team from any other region except regions 6, 7, 8, and 11.

We have had this argument a hundred times. Its all if's, and's, and but's! I'm a firm believer that the truth usually lies in the balance. So here is the balance of this whole argument.

One side says.......If Miller played on a better team he wouldnt get guarded as heavily so he would be able to light it up!

But using that reasoning you could also say that........ if Miller played on a better team he wouldnt neccessarily be the go to guy and would also be playing against tougher competition, and therefore not lighting it up as much!

That argument works both ways, and its so "hypothetical" that I think its best to just leave it alone.

I would be willing to bet that whatever team Miller played for he'd be a big time contributor and the primary 3 point shooting weapon, but I'd also be willing to bet that if Miller played for one of the top teams in the state (who actually run an offense and play some high quality competition) that his shot attempts and shot percentage would go down. He would lead the team in scoring some nights, and some nights he wouldnt. He would have some 30+ point games, and some nights he would score in the single digits. I dont think he would have accomplished what he has if he was playing for a team like SL, and that is for various reasons, none of which reflect on Miller as a player, but reflect on M'boro as a basketball team. However I also wouldnt say that Miller would just be a "role player."

The fact is Miller plays for M'boro and has accomplished a tremendous amount considering his situation, regardless of competition. However the fact also remains that he has accomplished this against sub par competition. Spin it either way you want, but those are the facts.

Miller makes a lot of tough shots a long way from the basket. Lexington and Louisville teams have more athletic players, no doubt, and would do a better job of guarding Miller, but I seriously doubt there are very many players in either city, if any, who shoot the ball as well as Stuart Miller. I watch those teams play a lot in the summer and I didn't see anyone who shoots any better.

We have had this argument a hundred times. Its all if's, and's, and but's! I'm a firm believer that the truth usually lies in the balance. So here is the balance of this whole argument.

One side says.......If Miller played on a better team he wouldnt get guarded as heavily so he would be able to light it up!

But using that reasoning you could also say that........ if Miller played on a better team he wouldnt neccessarily be the go to guy and would also be playing against tougher competition, and therefore not lighting it up as much!

That argument works both ways, and its so "hypothetical" that I think its best to just leave it alone.

I would be willing to bet that whatever team Miller played for he'd be a big time contributor and the primary 3 point shooting weapon, but I'd also be willing to bet that if Miller played for one of the top teams in the state (who actually run an offense and play some high quality competition) that his shot attempts and shot percentage would go down. He would lead the team in scoring some nights, and some nights he wouldnt. He would have some 30+ point games, and some nights he would score in the single digits. I dont think he would have accomplished what he has if he was playing for a team like SL, and that is for various reasons, none of which reflect on Miller as a player, but reflect on M'boro as a basketball team. However I also wouldnt say that Miller would just be a "role player."

The fact is Miller plays for M'boro and has accomplished a tremendous amount considering his situation, regardless of competition. However the fact also remains that he has accomplished this against sub par competition. Spin it either way you want, but those are the facts.

I can actually agree with a lot of your post. I do think if he played on a better team his shot attempts and maybe even his ppg would go down. But I stand by my opinion that he would shoot for a better %. One stat of his that wouldn't be affected either way that also compliments his shooting ability is his free throw %. Call it an easy shot anyway, but he makes them more often than pretty much everyone in the state. I think he is like 7th or 6th, can't remember. He shoots 85% from the charity stripe. Now that is one stat that would go unaffected.

Facts:

He will not play at Louisville.

He would not average this many 3's or points in Lexington or Louisville.

He would not start for some of the top teams in Kentucky such as Henry Clay, Scott County, and some others.

If he did play (and in some cases started) for some of the top teams in Kentucky he would have to share the ball, which he does not at Middlesboro. By sharing the ball, he would not have those numbers and without those numbers, this discussion never occurs.

If Macy is taking a look at him he must see something! I think he is qualified to do just that. Probably more than us.

Once again...... it STILL remains to be seen what schools are really, truly interested (and my interested I mean willing to give Miller a scholly).

Alot of this vague "recruiting hard" talk has been floating around, but I have yet to see an OBJECTIVE, CREDIBLE SOURCE with HARD FACTS state who exactly is recruiting Miller, and how hard they are really recruiting him.

If Macy is taking a look at him he must see something! I think he is qualified to do just that. Probably more than us.

Judging by his current record, maybe not.

And that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard because it completely dismisses the knowledge of anyone who "doesn't coach" or "never played the game" as somehow being unqualified. As though those people can't learn through observation.

Judging by his current record, maybe not.

And that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard because it completely dismisses the knowledge of anyone who "doesn't coach" or "never played the game" as somehow being unqualified. As though those people can't learn through observation.

Please, Macy is a great coach, they have just been very young these past two years.

01-02 2nd in OVC

02-03 2nd in OVC

03-04 3rd in OVC

While I do think that some people can learn the game well without ever being a part of it, I totally agree that someone who won Mr. Basketball in the state of Indiana (legendary for their high school basketball), who was an All-American in college and part of a national champion team, and played 10 years in the pros with the Suns, Bulls, and Pacers is a better judge of talent, simply because he has been around great talent all of his life.

Do you actually think you are a more "qualified" judge of talent than any current college basketball coach??? You may know the game compared to the guys on this forum but come on. They don't give those jobs to anyone.

Once again...... it STILL remains to be seen what schools are really, truly interested (and my interested I mean willing to give Miller a scholly).

Alot of this vague "recruiting hard" talk has been floating around, but I have yet to see an OBJECTIVE, CREDIBLE SOURCE with HARD FACTS state who exactly is recruiting Miller, and how hard they are really recruiting him.

How would someone who doesn't know Miller well, know what schools are recruiting and how hard they are recruiting him?? And then provide facts like they have copies of his recruiting letters or tapes of his phone calls?? Get real.