Miller to visit Louisville

Once again...... Miller is a great shooter and great athlete. I have given him all the props in the world. That doesnt mean he is D1A, especially at the level of a UofL or UK basketball program.

3 pages of YOU talking about how he might, in a one in a million chance, get a scholly to UofL........ and everyone else talking about how ridiculous you are.

I could care less about your family. If anything you are saying has an inkling of truth then it was sooooo long ago that you were recruited that your assessments of recruiting dont even apply considering the recruiting game has changed sooo much in the last several years.

As far as your first statement...... I refuse to respond to complete jealousy, and something that is completely untrue, I will PM you on that one. I thought you were done with this thread. You are very laughable and for sake of this thread I will refrain from responding to any further comments made by you. I refuse to stoop to your level of personal jabs. You my friend, is the one who needs to get a life.

In closing with our debate, this long time ago recruiting game that I was a part of was within the past 5 years. I have since taken the high road (academics) over sports and am well on my way to getting into dental school. I doubt the game has changed much in 2 years!! And about that comment I made, if the shoe fits, wear it. If not then don't let it bother you.

Now, onto the point of the thread, I think defense is the most coachable aspect of the game. More so than ball-handling, shooting, and maybe even passing. I truly doubt that a top notch coach looks and Miller's defense abilities and sees them as a lost cause. The kid loves the game and could probably step up his defensive game if a coach were to ever hold him accountable.

And if you give Miller 15-20 a game, he is a solidified starter.

Also, because Miller brings such an offensive weapon to the court, they can make defensive adjustments to get him on the court. Switch to 2-3 or 1-3-1. Either one would make his defensive abilities far less demanding.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Log Mountain, you evidently haven't played with Miller for a couple of years. 5'10"?

2. Unofficial visits are limited by NCAA. They must be used sparingly and can only be used certain times of the year. Players who live close by sometimes are ask to come. A place like L'ville can get kids to do that.

3. Ukbell, Miller may not get to sign, but he gets a visit. At l'ville that's special.

4. Miller on defense...... he's athletic enough to learn. Defensive players have to learn to shoot. What's the difference? You need both.

5. Why don't some reporter simply call his parents and ask about schools and visits and get the real scoop instead of guessing about who is calling and who is not?

I guarded him. Hes 5 11 tops. Hes not 6 foot. I played against him this past summer.

I played pickup games 2 years ago with Patrick Sparks one day. Ive guarded Miller several occasions in a Mens League. Sparks IMO is easily 2 inches taller than Miller. He is also a whole lot quicker and stronger. Now athletic wise Sparks lacks what most D 1 guards have in that category. Now all I am saying is hes not athletic enough to guard a quick D 1 guard. And I don't know if he ever will be.

I think he would make a good DII or NAIA player!

In closing with our debate, this long time ago recruiting game that I was a part of was within the past 5 years. I have since taken the high road (academics) over sports and am well on my way to getting into dental school. I doubt the game has changed much in 2 years!! And about that comment I made, if the shoe fits, wear it. If not then don't let it bother you.

Now, onto the point of the thread, I think defense is the most coachable aspect of the game. More so than ball-handling, shooting, and maybe even passing. I truly doubt that a top notch coach looks and Miller's defense abilities and sees them as a lost cause. The kid loves the game and could probably step up his defensive game if a coach were to ever hold him accountable.

Also, because Miller brings such an offensive weapon to the court, they can make defensive adjustments to get him on the court. Switch to 2-3 or 1-3-1. Either one would make his defensive abilities far less demanding.

On the first bolded statement..... I find it especially fishy I have never heard of ya, especially if your recruitment was in the last 5 years. Id be more then happy for you to PM me and let me know about all that, so you can put my doubts to rest. I'd even issue a public apology for doubting you if you are indeed telling the truth. Oh well. And by the way, I wear a size 11, not 13, so noo the shoe doest fit, at least not as good as it could. Just read my email. :lol:

On the second bolded statement, I totally agree.

In HS, against 13th Region competition, he is a great offensive weapon. But you are suggesting that A) some team, Louisville perhaps, will alter their defensive strategies to hide his defensive inabilities and B) assuming that, at his height, he would light it up to the point that a team must have him in the lineup, and that is wildly optimistic.

Also wildly optimistic is your suggestion that he would do what he is now against whoever, and would be the star on any team across the state. He would be a role player on most of the top-10 teams, and perhaps the 1st or 2nd option on the rest of the top 30.

You admitted as much that you are a Middlesboro grad. That right there exposes you as extremely biased, and therefore unwilling to hear reason w/re to Miller.

I'll say it again, and I cheer for NO TEAM, so this is as unbiased an assessment as it gets: Miller is a nice player, excellent shooter and a great player against weak competition. I've seen him have great games, and I've seen him stink it up. I'm skeptical that he would average more than 15 playing in the Louisville or Lexington regions, because there would be taller players who are just as quick who would make his life very tough. I have no doubt in my mind that Warren Gross from last year's South Laurel team could shut him down.

He would do well in NAIA. He could play and be a solid contributor in DII and DIII. But in no way, shape or form do I think he could cut the mustard at the DI level without a major retooling of his game.

He would do well in NAIA. He could play and be a solid contributor in DII and DIII. But in no way, shape or form do I think he could cut the mustard at the DI level without a major retooling of his game.

He may play NAIA or D2, but he will have the opportunity to play D1. Heck, If Pitino is giving him a look at L'ville, it would be absurd to think that a mid level D1 would not be offering. His game would have to improve just as ANY PLAYER that comes out of high school at any level.

Here's the question, if he shoots as good as he does now, wouldn't it be logical to assume he will get better?

He may play NAIA or D2, but he will have the opportunity to play D1. Heck, If Pitino is giving him a look at L'ville, it would be absurd to think that a mid level D1 would not be offering. His game would have to improve just as ANY PLAYER that comes out of high school at any level.

Here's the question, if he shoots as good as he does now, wouldn't it be logical to assume he will get better?

I'm still not sure how serious of a look he is gettiing from Pitino and UofL, and I'd be curious to hear some HARD FACTS from an UNBIASED, OBJECTIVE, CREDIBLE SOURCE on this topic. A visit is a big deal..... but until I hear of a scholly offer or a personal preferred walk on invitation, I wouldnt say L'ville is giving him a "true" look. Name one mid level D1 school, or any D1AA school that has offered Miller? I am not being critical...... just realistic, and curious if there are any, because I truly dont know. All the schools that have been mentioned on this thread as having interest in Miller are either NAIA, D2, or D3.

I'm truly curious too see how all this plays out. I am one of the few Miller critics that thinks he can play at the D1 level, despite his limitations (namely height and HS program). I am not saying he will be a star or a major contributor...... but I think he deserves the chance. But I am also one of the skeptics who feels he probably wont get that chance due to many factors. I hope I am wrong.

I agree that where ever he goes his game will have to improve, just like any other high school player going to play college ball anywhere.

I too think he should look at this from an academic and job oppurtunity perspective. Just like an earlier poster said, if he gets the shot (regardless of whether he ever sees the court or not) he should jump. Its a win win for Miller if something big like this opens up. It opens up many many doors as far as future jobs go, it gives him the chance to learn the game from some of the best coaches as well as to see basketball at its highest level (which could help him if he wants to coach), and it also allows him to get an A+ education for FREE which = no debt after college. Any person would be stupid to turn that down, or to not follow through with it. I have said before that I hope he gets the shot, I am all for ANY and ALL east ky kids getting a once in a lifetime oppurtunity like that.

It is also logical to assume that if he shoots as good as he does now against the competition he plays, that if he reaches the D1 level, he could possibly find it tough to shoot as well, since he will playing against much bigger and much better athletes. I mean I see it boths ways, your way and Jim Schue's way. Miller could improve and become and even better shooter, or he could find the competition too much.

I'm happy for Miller and would like to see more kids from the moutains go on to play at high levels in collegiate sports. However, I don't think Miller is good enough to play at that high of level. He is a great shooter and displays some quickness, but I don't see it happening. If that was the case, and size doesn't matter, I believe Cash and Hubbs, from last season, could have gone just about anywhere the wanted.

On the first bolded statement..... I find it especially fishy I have never heard of ya, especially if your recruitment was in the last 5 years. Id be more then happy for you to PM me and let me know about all that, so you can put my doubts to rest. I'd even issue a public apology for doubting you if you are indeed telling the truth. Oh well. And by the way, I wear a size 11, not 13, so noo the shoe doest fit, at least not as good as it could. Just read my email. :lol:

On the second bolded statement, I totally agree.

If you sent an email, resend it because I didn't get it. Also you were wanting to know some mid-major teams recruiting him or DI-AA, I mentioned earlier in the thread that Morehead St. (OVC), Southern Ill. (Missouri Valley Conference), and Belmont Univ. (Atlantic Sun Conference) are all heavily recruiting him.

Jim Schue, I think it is crazy that you would think a guy who has made 139 3's this year at 43% wouldn't be the shooter on other teams. I am a Middlesboro grad but I have also expressed disgust in our basketball program several times. I think Miller is the best player we have had since Buell in early 80's (McDonalds All-American). The 13th region isn't the best all the way through but mind you 2 of the final 8 teams left in the tournament last year are from the 13th Region, including the defending state champion. He has also lit up Clay County and North Laurel on a few occasions and these teams have been historically solid every year.

If you sent an email, resend it because I didn't get it. Also you were wanting to know some mid-major teams recruiting him or DI-AA, I mentioned earlier in the thread that Morehead St. (OVC), Southern Ill. (Missouri Valley Conference), and Belmont Univ. (Atlantic Sun Conference) are all heavily recruiting him.

Jim Schue, I think it is crazy that you would think a guy who has made 139 3's this year at 43% wouldn't be the shooter on other teams. I am a Middlesboro grad but I have also expressed disgust in our basketball program several times. I think Miller is the best player we have had since Buell in early 80's (McDonalds All-American). The 13th region isn't the best all the way through but mind you 2 of the final 8 teams left in the tournament last year are from the 13th Region, including the defending state champion. He has also lit up Clay County and North Laurel on a few occasions and these teams have been historically solid every year.

I sent the email through BGP. I tried to PM it to you but your box was full. I really hope you get the email eventually though. If not, well then its just water under the bridge I guess, cause there is no way I could regurgitate what I wrote last night into another email or PM.

Anyways, back on topic. Does Morehead St give scholarships? An honest question, because I thought they were a different classification then D1AA, at least in football. Maybe it is different for basketball. Also...... have any of these D1AA schools issued an official scholarship offer? An honest question. One more honest question. There was mention of mid major D1 schools recruiting Miller. Have any of those made scholly offers, and if so what teams are they?

I think if Miller wanted to play D1A or D1AA ball the best thing he could do is get his first scholly offer from one of the major D1AA schools in KY (WKU or EKU) or from one of the major D1A schools in KY (UK or UofL). If those 4 instate schools arent recruiting you hard and offereing scholarships, then the out of state schools most likely wont either. However, its a little late for any of this. This is stuff that should have been done his junior year. That is my big hang up...... it is sooooooo late. I just dont see anything substantial coming from all this hype. Once again, as I have said a hundred times, I hope I am wrong, because I think Miller deserves a shot, even though I dont neccessarily think he is at that level.

As for the bolded statement. "Historically solid" doesnt mean anything when referring to what Miller did against them. You have to look at how good those teams where when Miller lit them up. I think that both of those teams are on par, talent wise, with the rest of the 13th (besides SL of course), and that is not very good. Not a knock, dont take offence and get all defensive, but Miller is was not facing those historically great teams of Clays past, or of North in the past few years. He was facing what Clay and North had this year, and that isnt the best competition in the world.

Also, on the bolded statement...... I find it funny how when SL first entered the 13th at the beginning of this season everyone was so down on them, and very critical of them saying that it wouldnt be a cake walk. Not sure if you were one of those, but now you are using that fact that SL and Corbin reside in the 13th to argue that the 13th is a solid region and that Miller has played against some solid competition. Very funny. The fact that 2 13th region teams THIS SEASON made it to the Elite 8 LAST SEASON is irrelevant, considering that SL wasnt in the 13th last season, and SL didnt represent the 13th when they won the state championship. Not to mention the fact that Miller hasnt even faced SL, probably the best defensive team in this region, and arguable on of the best in the state.