Reds at Phillies Series 05/17 thru 05/20/13

There was absolutely NO movement on Chapman's fast ball. I think that they were in the low 90's as well, don't remember what they said and it seems that whenever he is not throwing as hard that he gets lit up. That was the case on the blown save earlier in the week as well if I am remembering correctly. At any rate Chapman, to me anyway, doesn't look the same since he went that stretch of games (around a week?) that he did not get in. That may or may not have anything to do with it and it just seems to me that he needs to get some work in games every few days if it is a save situation or not.

But some people claimed that other teams just want to stay in the dugout because Chapman is such a dominating force as a closer and their opponents know they can't touch him up. What's that? He has a lower save percentage than CoCo Cordero did when he was with the Reds? Who knew?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But some people claimed that other teams just want to stay in the dugout because Chapman is such a dominating force as a closer and their opponents know they can't touch him up. What's that? He has a lower save percentage than CoCo Cordero did when he was with the Reds? Who knew?

They can't, and they do when he's on, but I always love it when you come out of hiding when he blows a couple saves. :clap::clap::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know SSC, what do you think the Reds should do with him? Trade him?

The problem with Chapman is he's a one trick pony. Everyone and their brother knows a fastball is coming. When he struggles, it's when he refuses to throw anything but heat. Me thinks he's pretty low on the intelligence scale. :idunno:

That's partly on the catcher and maybe even manager too. If that's the case Dusty needs to do him like he did one of the other pitchers a couple years ago, and tell him not to shake off the catcher.

The problem with Chapman is he's a one trick pony. Everyone and their brother knows a fastball is coming. When he struggles, it's when he refuses to throw anything but heat. Me thinks he's pretty low on the intelligence scale. :idunno:

That's partly on the catcher and maybe even manager too. If that's the case Dusty needs to do him like he did one of the other pitchers a couple years ago, and tell him not to shake off the catcher.

That's exactly why it was good that the Reds sent Cingrani down to work on his off speed pitches. Chapman throws his fastball almost 86% of the time at an average of 97 mph. Cingrani throws his almost 83% of the time at an average of 92 mph. Chapman throws his hard enough that he only gets roughed up from time to time. That would change if he had to try and get through the lineup 3 times a game. He would look more like Cingrani did in his last 3 starts where he only managed 15 innings with a 5.20 ERA.

Ehh rough outings happen. Out me in the camp that says this ain't that bad. Didn't Kimbrel blow 3 saves in a row last week? And he did it in the same fashion as Chapman last night.

They can't, and they do when he's on, but I always love it when you come out of hiding when he blows a couple saves. :clap::clap::lol::lol::lol:

Happens fairly often considering he only saves 83% of his opportunities.

Nope. He's fine where he is, but the people comparing him to Mariano needed to relax.

I think you need to bury that. Hasn't been discussed for over a year. I don't see you on here when he is lights out in the 9th.

I think you need to bury that. Hasn't been discussed for over a year. I don't see you on here when he is lights out in the 9th.

Would've been buried a long time ago if a couple of you didn't drool all over Chapman like a freshman boy does with the prom queen....:idunno:

Chapman has one thing he needs to work on - become a pitcher, not a thrower.

He has the stuff and he doesn't use it. He needs to show that slider early in counts to the tough hitters so they stop sitting on the fastball. If I were him, I would very seldom throw the slider for a strike. Let it drop through the bottom of the strike zone. Then throw that fastball to the same location it looks like the slider is headed to before it breaks - 70% fastballs and 30% sliders. To the weaker hitters, if he wants to keep throwing fastballs knowing they can't touch it, that is fine.

Would've been buried a long time ago if a couple of you didn't drool all over Chapman like a freshman boy does with the prom queen....:idunno:
You mean like you cried like the senior who got stood up at his prom when you begged for Chapman to be in the rotation? You tell me, if a few spins around the league an inning at a time got him lit up, how do think being in the rotation would have gone? I'm tired of the juvenile crap about Chapman. Either way, it was the right move to keep him in the pen. No way you trot that out there 5 times a month the way he's pitching now. But we won't talk about that because it doesn't suit your agenda. And again, where are you when he's lights out in the ninth?