The 2013 Kentucky Derby

hoosierbirdfan

Who ya got?

Coach Rick Pitino has a 5% ownership interest in Goldencents, who should be coming out of the 8 hole to start the race. Goldencents over came adversity to win the Santa Anita Derby to qualify for the Ky. Derby. Goldencents will be ridden by Kevin Krigger, who will try to be the first African American jockey to win the derby.

1) Black Onyx

2)Oxbow

3)Revolutionary

4) Golden Soul

5)Normandy invasion

6)Mylute

7)Giant Finish

8)Goldencents

9)Over Analize

10)Palace Malice

11)Lines of Battle

12)Its My Lucky Day

13)Falling Sky

14)Verrazano

15)Charming Kitten

16)Orb

17)Will Take Charge

18)Frac Daddy

19)Java's War

20)VyJack

AE)Fear The Kitten

I DID NOT POST THE MORNING LINE ODDS/ NO GAMBLING ON THIS THREAD.

Just FOR FUN, see if you can pick the winner. My 85 year old professional handicapper likes Black Onyx to win. Good luck!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, no true handicapper would ever bet the Derby with a 20 horse field, 3 year olds, none of the horses has competed at the distance of the race, crowd noise problems, jockeys from all over the country coming to ride.

Second, it is so much darn fun and is so exciting and as a Kentuckian it is your duty to support the race.

So my advice is to shy away from the favorites and take a shot at whatever horse you want. And don't let any "expert" talk you out of your pick. I still have the Racing Form where the Top 40 experts made their selections and not one of them had Mine That Bird even hitting the board much less winning.

I'm going to go a normal Win, Place, Show bet on Orb. I think the money is to be made on the "other" races tomorrow and Saturday, not the Derby. 20 horses is just too many.

I'll play a $2 superfecta "lottery" ticket as well just for fun.

What is a $2.00 superfecta lottery ticket?

I'm betting my first Derby this year.

$2 Superfecta is the same as a Trifecta, except you are picking the top 4 horses. I call it a lottery ticket because that's the odds that you're going to win. But, last year's Super paid something like $202,000 on a $2 ticket.

Another option is the $.10 Superfecta box where you get 4 horses boxed for $2.40...but you only win 5% of the pool, which can still be a nice bonus but not lottery money.

You can also play $1 Superfecta, which would give you half of the $2 payout and so forth.

In other words, you must have the top 4 horses, in perfect order. If you box it, you get the top 4 horses in any order.

First, no true handicapper would ever bet the Derby with a 20 horse field, 3 year olds, none of the horses has competed at the distance of the race, crowd noise problems, jockeys from all over the country coming to ride.

Second, it is so much darn fun and is so exciting and as a Kentuckian it is your duty to support the race.

So my advice is to shy away from the favorites and take a shot at whatever horse you want. And don't let any "expert" talk you out of your pick. I still have the Racing Form where the Top 40 experts made their selections and not one of them had Mine That Bird even hitting the board much less winning.

Now that you mention it, I can remember reading the past performances of "that" derby and also noticed that Mine that Bird had participated in a race for $1M prior to the derby, I think Mine that Bird was third in that race.Get out that racing form and you will see the race that I'm talking about. The Derby isn't the place to bet the chalk(favorites).

Really anything can happen at any time. Horse gets left at the gate,stumbles, clips heels, jockey falls off, loses the irons.Nobody knows when the horse will take a bad step and break it's leg,traffic problems. My dad had a picture of a horse crossing the finish line at River Downs while the horse was on his side and the jockey was sitting directly on top of him,sliding in the mud. I thought a horse broke down in mid stretch because the jockey pulled him up, come to find out the saddle had slipped. (Murphy's Law)

Smart horse players only wager what they can afford to lose. Way too many variables to go wrong.I have been given tips by some owners that didn't work out very good, the bad thing about that is, ALL the owners think their horse is going to win.

Good luck !!!

$2 Superfecta is the same as a Trifecta, except you are picking the top 4 horses. I call it a lottery ticket because that's the odds that you're going to win. But, last year's Super paid something like $202,000 on a $2 ticket.

Another option is the $.10 Superfecta box where you get 4 horses boxed for $2.40...but you only win 5% of the pool, which can still be a nice bonus but not lottery money.

You can also play $1 Superfecta, which would give you half of the $2 payout and so forth.

In other words, you must have the top 4 horses, in perfect order. If you box it, you get the top 4 horses in any order.

Thanks. I always play trifecta boxes and pick 2 to WPS when at Keeneland. Not sure if I want to do the superfecta of not. I don't feel confident about it.

Thanks. I always play trifecta boxes and pick 2 to WPS when at Keeneland. Not sure if I want to do the superfecta of not. I don't feel confident about it.

It's very very difficult to win but it's worth a $2 shot here and there. Just play it as if you're playing a lottery ticket and don't expect to win.

Goldencents will be ridden by Kevin Krigger, who will try to be the first African American jockey to win the derby.

There have been a number of black jockeys win the Kentucky Derby. In fact, Oliver Lewis won the very first Derby in 1875. Isaac Murphy won it three times. Fifteen of the first 28 runnings of the Derby were won by black jocks. Racism largely pushed them out of the sport by the 1920s. No black jockeys rode in the Derby from 1921-1999.

Krigger is trying to become the first black jockey to win the Derby in more than a century — the last one being in 1902.

I have written out all my bets, not sure if I will place them all but I'm going with:

A .50 Superfecta box bet (if they let me do .50...its a $12 bet)

Nine $1 Trifecta box bets

Seven $1 Exacta box bets

I hit the trifecta last year with I'll Have Another, Dullahan, and Bodemeister.

Picking a winner just for fun, give me Normany Invasion.