New Windows

2 Humped Camel

We have a 90 year old home and put off replacing our windows for years. Last year we found Zen Windows. There was no sales pressure. The give you a ballpark number over the phone and then a more definite estimate when they come by. They will meet any competitors price.

The amazing thing is that it took less than six hours to arrive, remove all of our old pulley string windows and replace them with great, easy to clean windows. They left without a bit of trash in the yard. Great company, run by a local guy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bid #3 done so far. Highest one yet but withing $2k of the lowest bid.

Sidenote i did finally convince gilkey to come out this far so we will see.

Question for you guys. With these bids being semi close to each other what other key factors you think i should be concerned with?

Okay, here's the long and short of residential windows from a guy who has built 128 houses (and replaced windows in a handful more):

Obviously, vinyl is your most affordable option. If you're looking for a "last you 30 years" kind of window, though, aluminum, or wood/aluminum clad is probably the way you go. Reason being? Vinyl doesn't do well with heat. Why do vinyl records warp? Heat. Those vinyl windows you're buying are made of the same thing...only the material is extruded and is a little more thick. Over time, vinyl windows can warp - especially southward facing windows, which see more sunlight. Does that mean all vinyl windows will warp? Not necessarily. Does that mean that everyone can afford to buy up from vinyl? No way. The reason they are the most common is the simple fact that they are the most affordable. Still, aluminum or wood/aluminum windows are undoubtedly a better product and WILL be worth more in resale value for your house. Just wanted to present those facts.

Now, I also HAVE to stress the importance of window warranties and product guarantees over price when it comes to buying windows - to as much extent as is reasonable for your bank account.

There are TONS AND TONS of window manufacturers out there. You can find a "window guy" or handyman that's certified to install just about any of those random windows, too. The problem is, when you have 2 or 3 vinyl windows that warp from a couple weeks of 95+ temperatures some summer, or a double-walled argon window sash that suddenly starts clouding up with condensation, Floyd the window guy, or the handyman you found in the Yellow Pages isn't generally going to be there to contact the manufacturer and come out to fix the problem for free (if he's even there at all). Plus, your window manufacturer may not stand behind their product like Anderson Windows, Champion Windows, Pella, or Gilkey will. I know it'll cost you more...but go with a name that you know.

I can tell you that I've priced up windows and had them installed at two of my brothers' houses, my aunt's house, and three of my friends' houses, and we had Anderson, Champion, Pella, and Gilkey price ALL of them up. All four window companies came back with virtually the same product, guarantees, and warranties, but Gilkey was the cheapest on all of them and ended up doing all five of the six jobs, in vinyl. (The sixth person paid the extra to have wood/aluminum clad windows installed, and Gilkey only deals in vinyl, so they weren't able to compete).

So all things being the same between those four companies would you go with the cheapest of those 4?

I'd check out Window World, they had the quickest response for a quote and ended up being 1/2 the price of America's Windows (Who were also a buch of jerks). Ended up around 600 ea window for us. Lifetime warranty even if 1 is broken by a rock, baseball etc...Great service too. Highly recommend checking them out. Oh, and they were Double Hung Vinyl low E with argon gas high efficient windows.

How are your Window World windows holding up @jvdfc?

How are your Window World windows holding up @jvdfc?

We just moved recently, but they were fantastic. My wife loved them for cleaning and the bills went down. Good clean look. Helped our house sell for sure. Great customer service too.

I ended up getting Earthwise windows which have the good housekeeping seal of approval, Energy Star certified, etc. I had a recommendation on a contractor from a relative who put them in for me. I've had no problems with the windows and my energy bills are much lower. I'd recommend them if you are still looking. They aren't the quality of Gilkey but they are a quarter the price and do just fine.

• 1 month later...
Windows Plus installing new windows today.

You dont realize how bad your old ones were till they pull them out, yikes, and this house is only 12 years old.

Would you give a ball park on what you paid if you don't mind me asking? Were they replacement windows?

Would you give a ball park on what you paid if you don't mind me asking? Were they replacement windows?

I sent you a PM.

Obviously I cant rate the windows just yet, but will update when the summer heat gets here.

Wife and I changed plans half way through getting bids and decided not to replace two doors at this time, that changed the bids a lot when it was just windows.

Pricing worked out this way for 10 windows

Windows plus (base)

Window World (base -$2k)

Anderson (Base + 1200)

Champion (Base + 1400)

Gilkey (Base + 1700)

Notes on each.

Window world - Sales guy was nice and honest (perhaps too honest as he he told us we would be better off going to Lowes and getting a door than through them, lol) Windows had good ratings, but were the lowest of the group, the fact that they were so much cheaper scare us a bit. Told me it would take 6 - 8 weeks.

Anderson - (would have been our second choice) through a local Store, solid windows compared to the others vs the price. Told me it would take 8-10 weeks.

Champion - Sales guy was typical, tried to up sell us on some stuff, wanted us to sign a contract the day he came out, normal sales stuff. Kinda haggled me every couple of days about signing a contract even though we told him up front it was going to be a few weeks before we made final decision. Told me it would take 8-10 weeks.

Gilkey - LOVED the sales guy, tried to sell us what we wanted and nothing more, actually suggested a door (when we were planning on doing doors) that was a little different than the wife wanted, but would have saved us almost $1000. Wasn't overly pushy about signing a contract. Highest bid of the group, which even shocked the sales guy when I told him he was the highest. One thing I did like, Gilkey has this sheet where they compare other companies windows with theirs based on ratings and such. (I will try and see if I take a picture and upload it later) Was a nice comparison (actually showed it to the Anderson window guy and he said "Yeah that is about right") Told me it would take 8-10 weeks.

Windows plus - I have to thank Gilkey for me even considering Windows Plus. They were not listed on the Gilkey sheet I mentioned above and I got to wondering why. Got Windows plus to come out, Sales man didnt try to up sell us to their top of the line windows, but just what we were looking for. I ended up going out to their showroom in Newton before work one day just to check it out, met one of the owners, our sales guy and the install manger. Talked about our windows more, got a good feel about them. Couple days later we signed the contract, owners (both of them) drove it up to my office in Blue Ash to be signed and we had lunch very personable. So far for Customer Service they get an A+.

Cool thing too, I got updates along the way during manufacturing. They would send emails with pictures of my windows (sounds corny I know but kept us informed) and they were done and ready in 4 weeks (they told me up to 6 weeks.)

• 4 months later...

Just went through this...

I had four different companies come in and measure my windows and give me a bid. Window World, Lowes, Sears Glass (local company not part of Sears Corp) and Somerset Burnside Garage Door.

Bids were in descending order WW, Sears (about $200 cheaper than WW), Lowes (about $200 cheaper than WW) and SBGD ($1300 Cheaper). I found out that several friends and family members had used SBGD and had been very happy with their work and the windows that they sold.

Took 3 weeks to get the windows in from the manufacturer and they were installed yesterday. Took less than 3 hours to remove 14 windows and install 13 back in...then spent the next 6 hours caulking, adding insulation around them and trimming them out.

WW salesman was the consummate salesman, answering every question and trying to get me to sign off that day on his bid. Lowes guy was open and honest and I was leaning his way until I received the last bid.

What was the biggest difference in the bids?

Everyone except for SBGD bid the windows at a flat price each...SBGD bid each window based on what size I needed. When they started pricing my windows and I saw there was a nearly $200 difference in some of my windows I realized where all of the others were trying to hose me. They gave me a itemized price for each different size of windows and a flat installation and trimming prices for them.

My advice after going through this, have them individually price each window for you...not one price fits all.