New Windows

2 Humped Camel

I am looking at purchasing replacement windows for my house and I have never went through this process before, which means I'm clueless. I've gotten one quote from a small construction/remodeling company that was I told by a friend does good work. The quote seems reasonable but I am thinking about getting additional quotes but I still have no idea what these should cost. I'm looking at double hung, low e vinyl windows. I have 11 windows that are roughly 36x40 and 2 larger windows one of which is 48x48 and 49x53 respectively. Anyone have any recomendations or advice such as how much I should expect to pay, quality, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here's the long and short of residential windows from a guy who has built 128 houses (and replaced windows in a handful more):

Obviously, vinyl is your most affordable option. If you're looking for a "last you 30 years" kind of window, though, aluminum, or wood/aluminum clad is probably the way you go. Reason being? Vinyl doesn't do well with heat. Why do vinyl records warp? Heat. Those vinyl windows you're buying are made of the same thing...only the material is extruded and is a little more thick. Over time, vinyl windows can warp - especially southward facing windows, which see more sunlight. Does that mean all vinyl windows will warp? Not necessarily. Does that mean that everyone can afford to buy up from vinyl? No way. The reason they are the most common is the simple fact that they are the most affordable. Still, aluminum or wood/aluminum windows are undoubtedly a better product and WILL be worth more in resale value for your house. Just wanted to present those facts.

Now, I also HAVE to stress the importance of window warranties and product guarantees over price when it comes to buying windows - to as much extent as is reasonable for your bank account.

There are TONS AND TONS of window manufacturers out there. You can find a "window guy" or handyman that's certified to install just about any of those random windows, too. The problem is, when you have 2 or 3 vinyl windows that warp from a couple weeks of 95+ temperatures some summer, or a double-walled argon window sash that suddenly starts clouding up with condensation, Floyd the window guy, or the handyman you found in the Yellow Pages isn't generally going to be there to contact the manufacturer and come out to fix the problem for free (if he's even there at all). Plus, your window manufacturer may not stand behind their product like Anderson Windows, Champion Windows, Pella, or Gilkey will. I know it'll cost you more...but go with a name that you know.

I can tell you that I've priced up windows and had them installed at two of my brothers' houses, my aunt's house, and three of my friends' houses, and we had Anderson, Champion, Pella, and Gilkey price ALL of them up. All four window companies came back with virtually the same product, guarantees, and warranties, but Gilkey was the cheapest on all of them and ended up doing all five of the six jobs, in vinyl. (The sixth person paid the extra to have wood/aluminum clad windows installed, and Gilkey only deals in vinyl, so they weren't able to compete).

We had quotes from Champion and Anderson. Nobody else would come out and give us a quote. The only difference between the two were that Anderson replaced the trim work inside and out and were NOT inserts. Anderson had it all done in two days and $32,000 later! :eek:

CWB is the man on this. I will add that if you can step up from vinyl, try to do it. But you have to factor in how long you are going to be in the house as you consider the options. I would say if you expect to be in the house more than 5 years, pay a little extra for quality with an established company.

Champion and Gilkey refused to even come out and bid my windows back 5 years or so ago. (guess they were afraid Sasquatch could eat them) Gilkey was kinda rude about it, Champion just said I lived outside of their service area which is fine, I get that. After that I was kinda ticked so I said id wait a few weeks and get other bids...............still got the old windows, lol.

Thanks for the info, I have Gilkey coming out friday to give me a quote. Any ball park guess at cost?

The last one I priced up for someone with Gilkey came to about $800 a piece for their "average-sized" double hung windows, installed. But those were triple-pane argon filled, and two toned (different color on the outside than on the inside). I'd bet you could get a double pane low-e, all one color for around $500 installed.

I know that once you start looking at picture windows like those common to the front living rooms of many houses, then you're talking more like $2000-$2500 a pop.

I'd check out Window World, they had the quickest response for a quote and ended up being 1/2 the price of America's Windows (Who were also a buch of jerks). Ended up around 600 ea window for us. Lifetime warranty even if 1 is broken by a rock, baseball etc...Great service too. Highly recommend checking them out. Oh, and they were Double Hung Vinyl low E with argon gas high efficient windows.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...