Lake Cumberland

spindoc

Water to be raised about 20ft this spring and summer and if all readings inside the dam are OK then will let it up the rest of the way next year. Of course that is dependent on the amount of rain that we get.

BTW all repairs are complete as far as drilling of holes and filling them with concrete.

Amazing how the different spin applies to each situation. When the Corps lowered the pool the press announced unprecedented good fishing due to the water level drop. Now they are anticipating a "new lake" boom in fishing for the next three to five years due to raising the water levels.

At any rate it will be good to see Cumberland back to "normal."

Amazing how the different spin applies to each situation. When the Corps lowered the pool the press announced unprecedented good fishing due to the water level drop. Now they are anticipating a "new lake" boom in fishing for the next three to five years due to raising the water levels.

At any rate it will be good to see Cumberland back to "normal."

It made striper fishing easier. It made bass fishing tougher. Now there has bee several years of growth between the waterline and the former water line. I, for one, can't wait til they raise it. I have every color of trick worm Zoom makes, and I'm gonna try em all in that green stuff.

Like Doc said in this case both seem to have been true. Lower levels concentrated the fishing and Striper fishing got easier, but IMO less fun. I like to cast crank baits for Stripers but with the lake being down it seems that umbrella rigs and live bait have been the only ways to catch them. Much easier that way but not as much fun as cranking in a Little Mac and having it get hit by a freight train going the other way.

Growth on the old lake bottom has been tremendous, trees and brush cover the lake bottom from the old tree line out 100 to 200 feet. This will be great for bass and crappie populations to grow.

Water is already up enough that two ramps that were closed a few weeks ago are available for use now. I was at Fishing Creek ramp and Pulaski Park a couple of weeks ago and neither ramp was usable. I was there yesterday and both ramp were being used. Already a big difference in the water levels...these ramps have been unusable for the last several years.

Water is already up enough that two ramps that were closed a few weeks ago are available for use now. I was at Fishing Creek ramp and Pulaski Park a couple of weeks ago and neither ramp was usable. I was there yesterday and both ramp were being used. Already a big difference in the water levels...these ramps have been unusable for the last several years.
Love it.

But does more water mean more recreational boaters? I did notice a drop off when they dropped the lake. Curious to see if the boaters have found a new home or made it thru the recession and bothered to keep their boats. Party cove will be rocking this summer.

But does more water mean more recreational boaters? I did notice a drop off when they dropped the lake. Curious to see if the boaters have found a new home or made it thru the recession and bothered to keep their boats. Party cove will be rocking this summer.
I sure hope not.

I sure hope not.

I do not fish, but do boat. I was not a fan of the lake when it was up. When they dropped it and the economy tanked I actually enjoyed the lake better. fewer boats, less wake, more enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of the guys that need the loud boats to impress others. Making up for lack of other "things".

I do not fish, but do boat. I was not a fan of the lake when it was up. When they dropped it and the economy tanked I actually enjoyed the lake better. fewer boats, less wake, more enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of the guys that need the loud boats to impress others. Making up for lack of other "things".

I too like the lake down more.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with our dock now that where it was moved to will be underwater.

I too like the lake down more.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with our dock now that where it was moved to will be underwater.

Hopefully your dock floats. :lol2: What part of the lake are you located? I usually do Burnside. It seemed some areas did not lose that much shoreline due to the cliffy areas and other parts of the lake lost a lot.