Dixie Fires Cheerleading Coaches

Clyde

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Ennam

OK, so I have some inside info:

• Last night was Senior night and 11 of the cheerleaders are Seniors... they were honored before the game

• The cheer coaches were fired yesterday and the Principal told the girls that she was now their coach

• At halftime the Senior cheerleaders put on their National competition shirts to show support for their fired coaches

• The Principal immediately told the cheerleaders to take off the shirts, or they would not be allowed to continue cheering

• The cheerleaders elected to keep the shirts on

• The whole cheer squad spent the 2nd half in the bleachers

• The Principal told the cheerleaders that the trophy they won is not allowed in the school

I still do not know what caused the crowd to gather, nor why the Principal had the police involved with the crowd... anyone have info on that?

I'm only seeing one side of the story here. There has to be something more. Why would the principal have a policy like that? Isn't it a positive thing to promote your school outside your boundaries? I'm trying hard NOT to jump on the bandwagon here.

I'm only seeing one side of the story here. There has to be something more. Why would the principal have a policy like that? Isn't it a positive thing to promote your school outside your boundaries? I'm trying hard NOT to jump on the bandwagon here.

Interesting questions but in the end irrelevant. I don't have to LIKE the rules my boss puts in place but I DO have to follow them.

The news report that I saw on Channel 19 yesterday said that the cheerleading team was unable to find a school administrator to accompany them on the trip, as is required for out-of-state or overnight trips for school organizations. They are able to go "independently" of the school (ei - had the students' parents all take them individually to Florida and competed as an independent team), which is what the coaches and the cheerleaders' parents claim they did. However, all of the paperwork and the results of the cheerleading competition list them as the "Dixie Heights High School Cheerleaders" - which is clearly not an independent group.

No a whole lot in the article as far as background..................but she was flat out insubordinate. When they got to the competition and found out they could not compete as an independent a phone call to the principal might have been in order to explain the situation and they would have had to just do what she said at that point. But to blatantly be insubordinate....well.......you get what you ask for.

As of the policy in place, and what occurred, it seems pretty straight forward that the coaches broke policy, and as a result, deserved to be fired. However, there are some questions that linger about the whole situation. The article kinda sounds like the principal did nothing to support, or assist, the team.

1. Did the coach confirm with tournament that they could perform as an independent prior to leaving? And if they were told they could, but then when they got there, told they weren't, what should they have done? You have a group that has paid for a trip expecting to be cheering in a competition.

2. Why did the principal allow the team to go knowing they didn't have an administrator going? Even if they claimed they were going as an independent, did they have uniforms without the Dixie name on it? Kinda seems like the principal could've put a stop to a trip like this.

3. Why didn't the principal assist in finding an administrator to go with the team? Mrs. Banta would've found someone the first day she was told about it and would've promoted the trip from day one.

Policy should be updated to state, "If an Administrator is available". The competition made the dates, not the cheerleading coach. It's not on them IF an Admin. was not available to make the trip.

I'm wondering what the repercussions were of pulling out of the competition at that point? Lose your entry fee? Banned to attend future competitions...etc.

2. Why did the principal allow the team to go knowing they didn't have an administrator going? Even if they claimed they were going as an independent, did they have uniforms without the Dixie name on it? Kinda seems like the principal could've put a stop to a trip like this.

So you're the principal. You've told the coach the rules. No competing as "Dixie." Coach agrees. Shouldn't that be enough. Or are you going to check every girl's bag to see if she's packing a Dixie uni?

BOE approved this trip at the beginning of the year at a board meeting, any travel over 50 miles has to be approved by the BOE at least 60 days in advance, FYI. However just because BOE approves it still doesnt mean you can go. Like I said, its a mess.

Well, that certainly adds a layer of "messiness" to it.