Newport Central Catholic 88 Holmes 85 2OT

The final sequence of regulation was about as good as it gets.

Bolden hits a 3 to put Holmes up 2. NCC inbounds the ball to Pangallo who brings it up the sideline and looks to be ready to call a TO after crossing midcourt. Grant yells for him to keep going which he does. I wonder if Holmes slowed up a bit thinking a TO was coming. He then dribbled in and drained about a 10 footer. Bolden then shoots one from the OTHER 3-pt line and hits off the front of the rim.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Englemon's foul trouble hurt the Dogs. He picked up 2 on consecutive plays early. Stupid fouls. Moving on a screen and then a reach in the lane. He's too important against a long team like NCC to make stupid fouls. They brought a frosh in to guard Schulte and it was man against boy.

Englemon's foul trouble hurt the Dogs. He picked up 2 on consecutive plays early. Stupid fouls. Moving on a screen and then a reach in the lane. He's too important against a long team like NCC to make stupid fouls. They brought a frosh in to guard Schulte and it was man against boy.

That is when NCC pulled out to a 10 point lead. Schulte against Arnold was no contest. Experience plus size was telling quickly in those 3 minutes. I was impressed how NCC went right inside with Englemon out, as they shoud have. Holmes real weakness is size on their bench.

Schulte was "fired up" to say the least tonight.

NCC is a great team but for the people that witnessed Holmes for the first time in this game they are usually far from a one man show...usually on any given night they will have about ten guys in the scoring column and many times a different player leads them in scoring... Tonight they seemed a little out of character and relied on a superstar type scoring effort by bolden to stay in the game, thankfully he came through...Holmes is typically one of the more balanced teams and by far the deepest team in the region

NCC is a great team but for the people that witnessed Holmes for the first time in this game they are usually far from a one man show...usually on any given night they will have about ten guys in the scoring column and many times a different player leads them in scoring... Tonight they seemed a little out of character and relied on a superstar type scoring effort by bolden to stay in the game, thankfully he came through...Holmes is typically one of the more balanced teams and by far the deepest team in the region

You know why?

NCC D is really good and long.

You know why?

NCC D is really good and long.

My point was not to take away from NCC but to let it be known to the people that haven't seen Holmes that they aren't just the James bolden show...I heard a lot of chatter from uninformed fans around me that James was all Holmes has and that's far from true...you don't run the table longer than anyone in the state relying on the scoring of just one player

Walter, where are the video highlights?????? No time for the theoldguy dinner break, "let's go to the video".

I'll have them up tomorrow sometime.

Had a meeting with ennam_iv at the Bee's in Crestview after the game so won't have time to finish them tonight.

Saw that Evan Daniels of Scout will be at Holmes game next Thurs against GRC. He tweeted about him several times after the game.

Besides the outstanding play of Seibert, NCC's bigs were the difference in the game. Holmes was in trouble defensively any time they didn't have both Englemon and Chames on the floor. NCC's bigs allowed their perimeter guys to play hard D at the 3 because they didn't have to worry getting beat knowing the big guys would take care of the middle. Very few offensive rebounds for Holmes. Holmes needs to share the ball better, especially Palmer. Maybe it was just great D by NCC that cut off all inside opportunities. I would like to see the assist stats for each team. I like Coston's game a lot, even though he didn't get many points tonight.

Ncc had 15 assists and Holmes had 7. A very telling stat I think.

Englemon and Coston foul trouble was the biggest difference in this game...plain and simple. Holmes couldn't handle Newcath's size or experience without those two on the floor. I do think Housely did a good job while in there but without Englemon, Holmes had no answer inside for Schulte or Seibert. Seibert absolutely lit it up tonight from every where on the floor. Career night in the biggest game of the regular season.

James Bolden...well the stats speak for theself. Finished with 37 points on 13-28 shooting and hit what should've been the game winning 3 but Pangallo dribbled down the floor, hesitated like he was going to call a timeout, then drove for a game tying wide open jumper. Second OT Holmes has a 3 pt lead and they foul Beuter for an and one. Just let him have the bucket and then trust the free throw shooting of Bolden and Palmer.

Would love to see a rematch.

Tonight was really fun. It was reminiscent of games from back in the late 70's to 1980 in the days of Schloemer and Beal. The Fieldhouse would be full for games versus NewCath, Highlands, Holy Cross and Covington Catholic. What I mean by that, was that the Fieldhouse was close to full capacity. I would say in the range of 2700 there tonight and I can only imagine where people were parking.

Much of the game action has been covered, but was really impressed with NCC and how skilled they are in the post. Just real solid, nothing flashy. They are so well rounded. NCC's bigs are fundamental and take shots in the post going at the basket and not fading away. Well coached and poised. Their guards take care of the ball and can make open shots. Beuter's and one knotted the score and more than likely a situation where Holmes would have been better off just letting him score than overly contesting it. However, Palmer got a good look at a runner from the baseline for the win.

Holmes is going to struggle with size and needs to get tempo in their favor. Foul trouble to Coston and Englemon didn't help the Bulldogs cause and it clearly showed in the second overtime.

Bolden's show in the 4th quarter was a treat. He was draining them from deep and the last one he hit to put the Bulldogs in front was ridiculous. Plus, he dang near drained the three quarter court shot. He was drained though.

Enjoyable evening and it would be nice to see another game with these two.