A Little Quirk I Have

spindoc

..I know, some may think it's crazy, but on the interstate I drive in the right lane. UNLESS, I have to pass someone. Loony, I know. But I don't get over in the passing lane unless I have to pass someone. Crazy concept. I'm not talking about smaller 4 lane roads like Dixie Hwy in the Ville or Route 60 in many parts of our state where you can get off in either direction. I'm talking about interstate. I-64,65,75. I must be in the minority because some of you out there can't help yourselves but to be comforted by the sweet attraction of the median immediately on your left, otherwise you can't operate your vehicle. I have a few questions for you? Who the hell taught you to drive? When someone told you or perhaps you read in a manual that it was the passing lane, did a friggin' light not come on? And maybe they don't teach it that way in OHIO. OH, and those little orb shaped thingies on the outside of both of your doors that you have to tuck in at the carwash,,,,those are called mirrors. Ironically, if you look into them, instead of your phone, whilst driving, you can see someone behind you. Maybe I'm old school, like my dad, and his dad before him. If you didn't use your mirrors when backing up, pulling out or changing lanes, you got whacked in the back of the head when learning how to correctly operate a motor vehicle.

Here's something for my BGP family: If there is ever a headline that reads SPINDOC SENTENCED TO 10 YEARS you won't have to read the remainder of the article because you'll know I shot the tires out of the buckeye in the passing lane and caused a horrific crash.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful post. I laughed out loud at the part about using your mirrors, sounds like my dad went to the same school of drivers ed as your's did.

Don't forget about the lovely drivers who must get bored with riding my bumper in the "slow lane" so much so that they will decide to try out the "fast lane" for a change of pace. Then just as soon as they pass by me, they will pull over, back to the safety of the slow lane. I guess the excitement is too much for them and they jump back over in front of me with maybe 5 feet between our bumpers, where they will proceed to slow down to a speed slower than they were going to start with. I especially like this game when it is raining out and they flood my windshield with road spray.

Beautiful post. I laughed out loud at the part about using your mirrors, sounds like my dad went to the same school of drivers ed as your's did.

Don't forget about the lovely drivers who must get bored with riding my bumper in the "slow lane" so much so that they will decide to try out the "fast lane" for a change of pace. Then just as soon as they pass by me, they will pull over, back to the safety of the slow lane. I guess the excitement is too much for them and they jump back over in front of me with maybe 5 feet between our bumpers, where they will proceed to slow down to a speed slower than they were going to start with. I especially like this game when it is raining out and they flood my windshield with road spray.

So, my mother-in-law must have been driving up towards the Belfry way.

It's actually a law that you must allow people to pass in the passing lane. About two years ago, at about 4 AM, there was a car on 275 in NKY who would not get out of the passing lane, only a few cars were on the road. The car behind him flashed there brights on and off about 4 seperate times to signal to move over and let him pass. The car still stayed in the far left lane, well, turns out the car behind him was a police officer, finally he had enough and pulled the car over.

..I know, some may think it's crazy, but on the interstate I drive in the right lane. UNLESS, I have to pass someone. Loony, I know. But I don't get over in the passing lane unless I have to pass someone. Crazy concept. I'm not talking about smaller 4 lane roads like Dixie Hwy in the Ville or Route 60 in many parts of our state where you can get off in either direction. I'm talking about interstate. I-64,65,75. I must be in the minority because some of you out there can't help yourselves but to be comforted by the sweet attraction of the median immediately on your left, otherwise you can't operate your vehicle. I have a few questions for you? Who the hell taught you to drive? When someone told you or perhaps you read in a manual that it was the passing lane, did a friggin' light not come on? And maybe they don't teach it that way in OHIO. OH, and those little orb shaped thingies on the outside of both of your doors that you have to tuck in at the carwash,,,,those are called mirrors. Ironically, if you look into them, instead of your phone, whilst driving, you can see someone behind you. Maybe I'm old school, like my dad, and his dad before him. If you didn't use your mirrors when backing up, pulling out or changing lanes, you got whacked in the back of the head when learning how to correctly operate a motor vehicle.

Here's something for my BGP family: If there is ever a headline that reads SPINDOC SENTENCED TO 10 YEARS you won't have to read the remainder of the article because you'll know I shot the tires out of the buckeye in the passing lane and caused a horrific crash.

If you wouldnt drive 15mph on the interstate I wouldnt have to stay in the passing lane all the time grandma, if your scared to drive on the interstate, keep it on the backroads.

If you wouldnt drive 15mph on the interstate I wouldnt have to stay in the passing lane all the time grandma, if your scared to drive on the interstate, keep it on the backroads.

If I was driving 15 I'd take an alternate route. If you don't get your 65mph green penis wagon out of my way I'll pass judgement upon your tires, whether you have a license plate mandated to the front of your vehicle or not.

During my years at Morehead, I did an informal study of parking (not moving) violations on campus. While just under 10% of all cars on campus had Ohio plates; approximately 85% of illegally parked cars sported said plates.

My quirk relates to the Stevie Wonders of the highways who are unclear on the concepts of merging and/or reading.

To get to downtown Maysville from the top of the hill/McDonalds, you travel "down the hill". For the first half-mile or so, there are two lanes. However, the right lane and its immediate vicinity are festooned with giant arrows pointing left, signs saying (in no uncertain terms) "LANE ENDS" and "MERGE LEFT", etc. However, it seems as if I ALWAYS get the bozo in the right lane pulling alongside me that doesn't get it; that refuses to slow down and merge or even speed up and merge. Instead, it morphs into a potentially deadly game of chicken.

If you see signs saying "lane ends" and "merge left", please do your best to read them, assimilate the data and act accordingly.

Spindoc, why does it bother you so much that other people do use the left lane? I too stay in the right lane unless I'm overtaking someone but the only time I'm bothered by someone staying in the left lane is when they're running slower than surrounding traffic.

To get to downtown Maysville from the top of the hill/McDonalds, you travel "down the hill". For the first half-mile or so, there are two lanes. However, the right lane and its immediate vicinity are festooned with giant arrows pointing left, signs saying (in no uncertain terms) "LANE ENDS" and "MERGE LEFT", etc. However, it seems as if I ALWAYS get the bozo in the right lane pulling alongside me that doesn't get it; that refuses to slow down and merge or even speed up and merge. Instead, it morphs into a potentially deadly game of chicken.

I do that because I'm trying to beat you to Pasquale's.

I pretty much stay in the left lane because I'm always passing. Of course, I'm also a five time graduate of Ky. State Traffic School. I'll have my Master's here pretty soon.
Sums me up (though I may be headed towards a doctorate -- in 13 years I've had traffic school virtually every time I was able to). I drive 80-85 on the interstate so I'm where I need to be...