"There are too many blowouts in the 1st round"

Hellbird

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will always be like this because in baseball and basketball everyone plays in the post season. How is this any different? In basketball you could be 0-30 and you still make the districts. And in most cases if you could pull of an upset in round one and lose it the district final and advance to the regional. This is the KHSAA's case!!

It will always be like this because in baseball and basketball everyone plays in the post season. How is this any different? In basketball you could be 0-30 and you still make the districts. And in most cases if you could pull of an upset in round one and lose it the district final and advance to the regional. This is the KHSAA's case!!

In baseball and basketball, the regular season is completely meaningless. In football in Ky, the regular season is basically meaningless too. Too bad really. I think the regular season should mean something in EVERY sport.

In baseball and basketball, the regular season is completely meaningless. In football in Ky, the regular season is basically meaningless too. Too bad really. I think the regular season should mean something in EVERY sport.

Anyone that has ever had to go to Log Mountain, Louisville Central, Highlands, etc in the playoffs know that there is an advantage to being at home for the playoffs. That makes the regular season important.

Hellbird, you may disagree with Oldbird's beliefs but your logic that he's wrong because Cooper has won is flawed. Let's take it to an extreme to show your faulty logic.

A team goes winless in a 4-team district. Still makes the playoffs because 4 teams have to make the playoffs. Suddenly, they get hot and win every game. By your logic they deserved to be in because they won every game in the playoffs. That's illogical.

If there had been only 2 teams from each district Cooper would have been out of the playoffs. That's one of the points Oldbird is making.

The good news is Oldbird isn't the KHSAA and Cooper is in the championship game. Just enjoy that and try to keep your heart out of a fair debate.

Hellbird, you may disagree with Oldbird's beliefs but your logic that he's wrong because Cooper has won is flawed. Let's take it to an extreme to show your faulty logic.

A team goes winless in a 4-team district. Still makes the playoffs because 4 teams have to make the playoffs. Suddenly, they get hot and win every game. By your logic they deserved to be in because they won every game in the playoffs. That's illogical.

If there had been only 2 teams from each district Cooper would have been out of the playoffs. That's one of the points Oldbird is making.

The good news is Oldbird isn't the KHSAA and Cooper is in the championship game. Just enjoy that and try to keep your heart out of a fair debate.

Couldn't have said it better Clyde.. He seems a little sensitive for some reason. The team he roots for is in the finals.. By reading his posts, you'd think they lost 1st round..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Epic using Forum Runner

I love HS football and think it is crazy to want less of it...are there 1st round blowouts? Yes, just like the regular season and every round of the playoffs. Are there blowouts in the finals...yep sure are, every year a couple of teams get blown out. Guess what...it happened with 4 classes and it happens in every state in the nation.

Point system, really? Is the Ohio envy so bad that those that would rail against the BCS for college football would want a similar system in Kentucky HS football?

Let them play!!!

I love HS football and think it is crazy to want less of it...are there 1st round blowouts? Yes, just like the regular season and every round of the playoffs. Are there blowouts in the finals...yep sure are, every year a couple of teams get blown out. Guess what...it happened with 4 classes and it happens in every state in the nation.

Point system, really? Is the Ohio envy so bad that those that would rail against the BCS for college football would want a similar system in Kentucky HS football?

Let them play!!!

Ohio NEEDS a point system - simply has too many teams to let them all in. Kentucky definitely does NOT want or need a point system.

That is not what I am saying at all. Re read my post, I even said if a team doesn't win a district game, or even go as far as saying if a team has a losing record in district then keep them out, I have no problem with that at all.

I was refering to the blanket statement that only the #1 and #2 seeds get in period. Huge difference in your scenerio and what I'm talking about. The point was you can't make a blanket statement like old bird and keep good teams out no matter what.

Couldn't have said it better Clyde.. He seems a little sensitive for some reason. The team he roots for is in the finals.. By reading his posts, you'd think they lost 1st round..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Epic using Forum Runner

Not sensitive at all, simply proving the point that only taking 2 teams in every district is very flawed because some of the best and most deserving teams would be left out. That's all.

That is not what I am saying at all. Re read my post, I even said if a team doesn't win a district game, or even go as far as saying if a team has a losing record in district then keep them out, I have no problem with that at all.

I was refering to the blanket statement that only the #1 and #2 seeds get in period. Huge difference in your scenerio and what I'm talking about. The point was you can't make a blanket statement like old bird and keep good teams out no matter what.

You missed the point being made.

Not sensitive at all, simply proving the point that only taking 2 teams in every district is very flawed because some of the best and most deserving teams would be left out. That's all.

The point is there are too many classes. There really is not a class system. It is very, very flawed. In fact Cooper was originally classified in 4A and in a district with Highlands and CovCath. They asked to move up in class and were allowed. Why was that? LexCath asked to move up too and were not allowed although geographically it made way more sense to let LexCath move up in class. If you want to get rid of the regional and semifinal blowouts, go back to 4 classes.

The point is there are too many classes. There really is not a class system. It is very, very flawed. In fact Cooper was originally classified in 4A and in a district with Highlands and CovCath. They asked to move up in class and were allowed. Why was that? LexCath asked to move up too and were not allowed although geographically it made way more sense to let LexCath move up in class. If you want to get rid of the regional and semifinal blowouts, go back to 4 classes.
No you are wrong, originally Cooper was 6A and then when the restructuring took place were moved to 5A. A lot of it had to do with geographical reasons when the school first opened. Now they are in the class they should be and in a couple years will most probably be 6A once again because of enrollment numbers.

Now as far as the blowouts, I am not one complaining about them. As I said months ago, there are blowouts every week in the reg season as well as every week in the playoffs. I have no problem with 6 classes, a lot of others do and their reason is because of blowouts. I started this thread to show that blowouts don't just occur in the 1st round, but all the rounds. Nothing wrong with it if you ask me, but others seem to have a problem with it which makes no sense.

The more teams involved in the post season better garunteed the best team will win the championships. I like the current system a lot better than limiting the teams involved because you do that the better the chance you leave out a team that has a shot at winning.

No you are wrong, originally Cooper was 6A and then when the restructuring took place were moved to 5A. A lot of it had to do with geographical reasons when the school first opened. Now they are in the class they should be and in a couple years will most probably be 6A once again because of enrollment numbers.

Now as far as the blowouts, I am not one complaining about them. As I said months ago, there are blowouts every week in the reg season as well as every week in the playoffs. I have no problem with 6 classes, a lot of others do and their reason is because of blowouts. I started this thread to show that blowouts don't just occur in the 1st round, but all the rounds. Nothing wrong with it if you ask me, but others seem to have a problem with it which makes no sense.

The more teams involved in the post season better garunteed the best team will win the championships. I like the current system a lot better than limiting the teams involved because you do that the better the chance you leave out a team that has a shot at winning.

Actually, you are wrong. http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/football/realignment/20112014/2011-2014%20School%20Listing.pdf

This will show Cooper right in the middle of 4A between Rockcastle County and Pendleton County. Those Bold black lines show the classification cutoffs. Cooper petitioned to move up to 5A. This is a fact.

Of course you like the current 6 class system. Cooper is a very good team, but Cooper is also a beneficiary of the system.

Actually, you are wrong. http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/football/realignment/20112014/2011-2014%20School%20Listing.pdf

This will show Cooper right in the middle of 4A between Rockcastle County and Pendleton County. Those Bold black lines show the classification cutoffs. Cooper petitioned to move up to 5A. This is a fact.

Of course you like the current 6 class system. Cooper is a very good team, but Cooper is also a beneficiary of the system.

I thought you were talking about when Cooper was first formed and why they played up when they played in 6A, they did that because of geographical reasons. That is what I thought you were talking about.

Highlands should be happy Cooper isn't in 4A this year, that way Highlands has a shot at another title :thumb:

Actually any public school is never going to be the beneficiary of a system that includes private and independent schools that can bring in athletes from outside their district.

Im curious, does anyone know of all the state championship games, how many schools are public and how many are independent and private in the title games?

Edited by Hellbird