My take on UK football

stick1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would definitely make things interesting and I'd love to see it happen. Never will.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the new 4 team playoff format. My understanding is that they will be bid sights, and not necessarily college sites. A National Championship game in the Giants new stadium has a lot of appeal.

There are a lot of good venues: The Big House, Soldier Field, Oklahoma Memorial, Camp Randell, Notre Dame, and were it not for recent events Happy Valley

If I remember correctly, I think I read an article or saw a tweet that indicated that Joker Phillips had already singed more 4 & 5 star recruits than Brooks ever did as head coach. I tried to find a link but couldn't find anything. If this is true then recruiting isn't the problem.

That's the problem. If I'm the AD and I want to win I'm making the commitment like you make to basketball. That's not getting a coach comparable to Brooks who did well at UK. He beat some good programs, won some bowl games etc. I'm going to get somebody like a Saban, Meyer type guy. Obviously it's going to take a lot of money but I honestly think that program would make a fortune if they could compete on a national level consistently. The only way you can do it consistently is go get one of the best recruiters in the country like they did with Cal. Tougher because you don't have the tradition with football but money talks. Don't like Petrino and would not want my kid playing for him but there's no doubt he can flat coach. I'd go after somebody like Gruden. Doubt they will get him but you don't know until you put a huge money deal together and try.

B1G is 91-86-6 alltime against the SEC in bowls games.

This statistic can not be correct.

The SEC and Big 10 might be matched against each other one, two, or maybe three times a year in bowl games. That is too many games in the statistic you quote.

Might that be the head-to-head all-time record? That is believable.

This statistic can not be correct.

The SEC and Big 10 might be matched against each other one, two, or maybe three times a year in bowl games. That is too many games in the statistic you quote.

Might that be the head-to-head all-time record? That is believable.

You are right. The sight I was looking atworded it kind of wierd, but I went back and looked at some other sources and it is actually alltime record.

It said SEC was 15-16 in bowl games vs the Big Ten in the BCS era and 91-86-6 alltime.

The way it read it sounded like it meant alltime bowl games but it was actually alltime all games.

Edited by coldweatherfan

You are right. The sight I was looking atworded it kind of wierd, but I went back and looked at some other sources and it is actually alltime record.

It said SEC was 15-16 in bowl games vs the Big Ten in the BCS era and 91-86-6 alltime.

The way it read it sounded like it meant alltime bowl games but it was actually alltime all games.

Actually that article was dated. Have added the most recent to it. Basically it's the Outback Bowl, the Capital One Bowl, & the BCS bowls since since '99, plus last year's Gator Bowl. So, the SEC is now 21-19 since the inception of the BCS.

I'm a UK diehard for several years. It will take a lot of money to accomplish what you all want done with this football program. The "Coach" is just one aspect. Until the President and the board decide to spend millions on facilities. It's not gonna happen. To think that we can get a Saban, Meyer, or Gruden is a big dream.

I think the UK football program turned a 17 million dollar profit last year. Should be able to afford more than what they are doing.

That profit is not all spent on the football program. I too would like to see more go towards the program that's making it. Those in charge don't see it that way...

The bottom line is the support isn't there from the top yet. There's not reason it shouldn't be. I understand the tradition in basketball but I also know from coaching+years on BGP there is a huge UK football fan base that would sell the place out all the time if they put a great program together consistently. Seems like the Administration would realize if they do great in football they are going to make an even bigger profit? The upgrades need to be made. The money needs to be spent on a top of the line recruiter. I think this is the season the fans finally stand up and say enough we aren't coming to the games and you are going to feel it in the pocket book! Obviously Myer+Saban aren't coming. I doubt Gruden would but you don't know until you put the cash out there. He got his start at UTenn.