My take on UK football

stick1

I'm a die hard UK football fan. Season tickets since about 1980 when I was a kid. UK is at a huge disadvantage for a couple of reasons.

1: In state high school D1 atheltes compared to Fla/GA/SC/Bama etc.

2: Geography. How do you talk a kid into leaving Fla/GA/SC/Bama and coming north away from family/friends/tradition to worse weather?

That is the reason I think for KY to ever consistantly be great they are going to have to open the pocket book and pay for a top recruting coach like Cal. They missed the boat last year with Meyer. Leach would have been an upgrade but I think it's got to be somebody huge to overcome the obstacle listed above. I like Joker because he's a KY boy. All the people I know close to the program love Sanders. Just don't think it's a good fit for what UK needs to be elite. They've beaten great programs like LSU/Bama/Tenn/Geo/FSU/Clemson etc. Problem is they can't do it consistantly. Now they are really bad. They have the Frosh QB that has the potential to lead them. Think they have to go get a HUGE recruiter! Only way this is going to happen is for fans to stop going to the games. You have to hit them in the pocket book to show it's not OK to not set the bar at the top! Contrary to what a lot of people think there is a state full of UK football fans that would pack the place if they would get serious about being great!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They missed the boat last year with Meyer.

If KY had called Urban Meyer, he would have fallen on the ground laughing at the thought of taking five steps down the ladder to coach the cellar dweller of the SEC. No dollar amount could bring him to Lexington.

I'm a die hard UK football fan. Season tickets since about 1980 when I was a kid. UK is at a huge disadvantage for a couple of reasons.

2: Geography. How do you talk a kid into leaving Fla/GA/SC/Bama and coming north away from family/friends/tradition to worse weather?

That is the reason I think for KY to ever consistantly be great they are going to have to open the pocket book and pay for a top recruting coach like Cal. They missed the boat last year with Meyer. Leach would have been an upgrade but I think it's got to be somebody huge to overcome the obstacle listed above. I like Joker because he's a KY boy. All the people I know close to the program love Sanders. Just don't think it's a good fit for what UK needs to be elite. They've beaten great programs like LSU/Bama/Tenn/Geo/FSU/Clemson etc. Problem is they can't do it consistantly. Now they are really bad. They have the Frosh QB that has the potential to lead them. Think they have to go get a HUGE recruiter! Only way this is going to happen is for fans to stop going to the games. You have to hit them in the pocket book to show it's not OK to not set the bar at the top! Contrary to what a lot of people think there is a state full of UK football fans that would pack the place if they would get serious about being great!

I agree with most of the things you said except saying UK missed the boat last year on Meyer. UK would have had to maybe go bankrupt for them to offer the amount of money Meyer would have needed for him to come to UK. No way was he going to come here, when he could be a rich man at already established and storied programs.

Now other than that I do agree with you. I don't think UK will ever be consistenly great, but can be a team that can compete every now and then for the SEC East and a chance at the SEC Championship game with the right coach. They just wont ever get to the level of other programs who do it consistently though.

I said this in the thread yesterday. The only way we take steps forwards is to hire a coach who can recruit at an SEC level or hire a coach like Leach who's system will mask some of the problems. Franklin has shown at Vandy that it doesn't matter where you are, if you can recruit and make recruits love you they will come. Some names I think could turn it around being completely reasonable here (Petrino isn't coming) are: Mike Leach, Kirby Smart, Gus Malzahn, and Steve Addazio. 3 of those have been successful assistants under good coaches and now have head coaching experience and Smart has been the mastermind behind Alabama's dominant defense.... Joker seems to have lost fan base and even if you take out the wins and losses, the attendance is down and that is losing the university money.

Also keep in mind that the best high school football players from Kentucky (save for Patrick Towles) don't go to UK anymore either. Ky may not have the number of D-1 athletes that Ga/Fl/Al and others have but I still can't help but think that things would be looking up if Lamar Dawson, Devante Parker, Jon Davis, Kyle Bolin, Austin Collinsworth, Deuce Finch, James Quick, Jason Hatcher, Ryan White, Dalyn Dawkins and countless other D-1 players would choose to go to UK instead of greener pastures. I don't blame any of those guys one bit for going somewhere else.

Agree with your premise that KY needs "a great recruiting coach". As for the bolded--See Charlie Strong about 80 miles away--Lots of S. Florida kids on that roster! Bridgewater was highly recruited by major programs. If it's doable at Louisville, it should be doable @ UK?

Edited by StickerMann

Also keep in mind that the best high school football players from Kentucky (save for Patrick Towles) don't go to UK anymore either. Ky may not have the number of D-1 athletes that Ga/Fl/Al and others have but I still can't help but think that things would be looking up if Lamar Dawson, Devante Parker, Jon Davis, Kyle Bolin, Austin Collinsworth, Deuce Finch, James Quick, Jason Hatcher, Ryan White, Dalyn Dawkins and countless other D-1 players would choose to go to UK instead of greener pastures. I don't blame any of those guys one bit for going somewhere else.

I get it that Towles has family history at UK but he made a stupid decision. Joker isn't going to be there to see him graduate and he will simply be another name that goes by the wayside in a few years.

I think Ky also needs to shift more recruiting effort north. Convince some kids in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey to come play SEC football. In the 60's and 70's the U.K. roster was dotted with those guys.

I think Ky also needs to shift more recruiting effort north. Convince some kids in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey to come play SEC football. In the 60's and 70's the U.K. roster was dotted with those guys.

Ask the B1G how those recruits hold up against SEC teams...

Is the SEC the better conference? Yes

Does the B1G suck the way so many on here like to pretend? No

The fact is the B1G teams are built to win in their conference in their climate. You have to be able to win in Michigan, Iowa, Wicsonsin, etc in November.

With one exception(Bama), you have to be able to win your conference if you want to play for a national title. The unfortunate part for the B1G is that all those bowl games are played in a climate that favors their opponents.

Would a Championship game played in Madison, Wisconsin potentailly have a different outcome than one played in Miami?