Obama and the economy

The Dems took control in 2006. Obama comes into office in 2008 with a total Dem reign on the government. Rep right the ship in 2010. So as a starting point let's ask what was the debt in 2006 when the power shift occurred? Now the next question is, when Pres. Obama took office, what was the debt? 10 Tril? What was the promise to U.S. citizens concerning this debt? I believe the answer was it would be cut in half. A big plank for the "Hope and Change" platform. So who's to blame? Everyone. Who promised to fix it? Pres. Obama. When do we stop blaming past leaders and ask the current leadership to lead?

If we are going to assign blame to a particular POTUS should we not at least know how much that POTUS is responsible for?

How much are you assigning to Pres Obama?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Obama when he was a member of Congress said that to increase the debt limit is a sign of a weak, failing government, yet that is what he and his administration continue to do.

I would assign the debt number to the increase to it from the time President Obama came in office with a Democratic controlled senate and congress.

Obama, Clyde and the Dems want to have it both ways. It doesn't work that way.

You cannot spend yourself to prosperity.

The next president will have a very tough job ahead of them. I hope they are up to the challenge of having the courage to say no we can't afford to do that.

What is laughable is that you don't get it. I've never said the economy was great. You said it hasn't improved and that there was no way under the sun the President's policies could possibly improve the economy. You've been given numbers, charts, graphs, links, etc to show you that while the economy isn't great by everyones admission, it has improved and has done so by a distinct and very measurable margins. Now that you're argument didn't hold up you are switching it to the economy isn't good. I guess you expected to go from our worst economic collapse aside from the great depression to a booming economy in 4 years. President Obama only promised UE woud be under 8%, he didn't promise miracles and he's pretty close to hitting that mark. Here's some more good news for you to try to descredit.

All the Detroit-based automakers reported double-digit sales increases for the month, joined by ebullient numbers at Toyota, Volkswagen, and Kia.

Sales trended up noticeably from July's strong numbers. J.D. Power and Associates had forecast that August would deliver a retail-level seasonally adjusted annual rate (SAAR) forecast of 12.3 million units, and an overall SAAR of 14.5 million units, and the final numbers could exceed those projections

Read more: August 2012 Car Sales Still In The Fast Lane

August 2012 Car Sales Still In The Fast Lane - Business Insider

And yet Obama doesn't want to talk about the economy. Hmmmm. Maybe you should send him some charts and graphs. Better yet send those charts and graphs to the 24 million out of work and the rest of us who have seen our average income drop while the cost of everything else goes up, except gas of course, no change there.

So you really believe his policies will help grow the economy going forward? Seriously you believe that spending more and taxing small business will help the economy? You honestly believe that a bigger government will spur economic growth?

If we are going to assign blame to a particular POTUS should we not at least know how much that POTUS is responsible for?

How much are you assigning to Pres Obama?

I doubt if it is something you can put a hard number on. The fact remains that the incumbent ran on a platform of hope and change. Unfortunatley hope is lost and there has been change, for the worse. I understand the entitled buying into this. I just don't understand anyone who works hard for a living, accepting and embracing the past four years, and to look forward to four more. I don't get anyone who has kids and eventually grand kids thinking a 16 trillion$ debt is acceptable. The promise 4 years ago was that it would be cut in half. Instead it increase 60%?? Come on. No way four more years of this is a good idea.

What is laughable is that you don't get it. I've never said the economy was great. You said it hasn't improved and that there was no way under the sun the President's policies could possibly improve the economy. You've been given numbers, charts, graphs, links, etc to show you that while the economy isn't great by everyones admission, it has improved and has done so by a distinct and very measurable margins. Now that you're argument didn't hold up you are switching it to the economy isn't good. I guess you expected to go from our worst economic collapse aside from the great depression to a booming economy in 4 years. President Obama only promised UE woud be under 8%, he didn't promise miracles and he's pretty close to hitting that mark. Here's some more good news for you to try to descredit.

All the Detroit-based automakers reported double-digit sales increases for the month, joined by ebullient numbers at Toyota, Volkswagen, and Kia.

Sales trended up noticeably from July's strong numbers. J.D. Power and Associates had forecast that August would deliver a retail-level seasonally adjusted annual rate (SAAR) forecast of 12.3 million units, and an overall SAAR of 14.5 million units, and the final numbers could exceed those projections

Read more: August 2012 Car Sales Still In The Fast Lane

August 2012 Car Sales Still In The Fast Lane - Business Insider

Actually he promised it would not go over 8%.

That is a number and issue we should be focusing on. How do we get that fixed?

I hold nothing about gas prices against any president. US production has increased and I believe is at a very high number but gas prices continue to go up. Gas prices have very little, perhaps nothing, to do with a president and are a non factor in judging one IMO.

That is a number we should be concerned about.

Not a good one malachi. Selective choice of numbers like that don't make a good case. Bush did not leave office in Sept. 2008. IMO Sept. 2009 is a more valid starting point on measuring the economy and unemployment under Obama than Sept. 2008. I say the best month's numbers to use to measure unemployment under Obama are April 2009. That would be the earliest we would see any impact of Obama and his policies.

I went back to 06 due to the fact that this was the end of republicans having a majority. So it was actually early 07 when we were subjected to the Pelosi and Reid show.

And yet Obama doesn't want to talk about the economy. Hmmmm. Maybe you should send him some charts and graphs. Better yet send those charts and graphs to the 24 million out of work and the rest of us who have seen our average income drop while the cost of everything else goes up, except gas of course, no change there.

So you really believe his policies will help grow the economy going forward? Seriously you believe that spending more and taxing small business will help the economy? You honestly believe that a bigger government will spur economic growth?

I believe his policies can help grow the economy going forward especially if they get more aggressive. Who has proposed taxing small businesses? I believe that increased spending by the government via works programs can absolutley spur the economy. It has worked before and can work again, ever heard of the CCC, TVA or the WPA? This country could stand to have broadband access expanded which could put people to work and improve quality of life. I live in Cold Spring and don't have access to public sewer lines, a program to install public utilities could create jobs and improve access to utilities as well as improve water quality. There are many things like this that the government could spur along and create jobs along the way. I think this could work but I may be wrong, what I know doesn't work is deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy.

I believe his policies can help grow the economy going forward especially if they get more aggressive. Who has proposed taxing small businesses? I believe that increased spending by the government via works programs can absolutley spur the economy. It has worked before and can work again, ever heard of the CCC, TVA or the WPA? This country could stand to have broadband access expanded which could put people to work and improve quality of life. I live in Cold Spring and don't have access to public sewer lines, a program to install public utilities could create jobs and improve access to utilities as well as improve water quality. There are many things like this that the government could spur along and create jobs along the way. I think this could work but I may be wrong, what I know doesn't work is deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy.
Which policies and how?

So spend your way to prosperity?