Obama and the economy

I think most would agree that the economy is soft and is a key factor in the election. It seems to me that Obama has shown very little interest in the economy. Obama seems more concerned with a woman's right to choose and Mitt Romney's tax returns.

I'm beginning to think that Obama could give two hoots about the economy or fixing it. I think his only motivation for an improving economy is the hope of getting reelected. There is no way under the sun that he or his advisors could possibly believe his policys are conducive to economic growth. If they do they have a much bigger problem which is utter stupidity.

In other words, I don't think an improved or improving economy is necessary for him to accomplish his top priority which is to get as many people dependent on the government as possible.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most would agree that the economy is soft and is a key factor in the election. It seems to me that Obama has shown very little interest in the economy. Obama seems more concerned with a woman's right to choose and Mitt Romney's tax returns.

I'm beginning to think that Obama could give two hoots about the economy or fixing it. I think his only motivation for an improving economy is the hope of getting reelected. There is no way under the sun that he or his advisors could possibly believe his policys are conducive to economic growth. If they do they have a much bigger problem which is utter stupidity.

In other words, I don't think an improved or improving economy is necessary for him to accomplish his top priority which is to get as many people dependent on the government as possible.

I'm not real sure what indicators that you are looking for but we all know what was going on when Obama took office. The Dow has doubled since he took office and there have been job gains every month for over 2 years. Unemployment while not under 8% as he promised is trending that direction. If you are hoping he's going to turn into a trickle down guy you shouldn't hold your breath. He believes in Keynesian economics and about every effort he's made has been blocked by the most uncooperative congress ever. Your talking points don't hold any weight unless you can come up with something that President Obama has accomplished that has not improved the economy. What economic indicators have gotten worse the last 3 years. Is it the economy that was shedding jobs at a rate of about 200k a month when he took office that is now adding jobs? The Dow that has doubled? Which one?

How about the cost of gas doubling and the unemployment rate up? Those are two things many americans track closely.

You surely aren't referring to that 1.83 thing are you? We all remember that gas was just as high as it is now during President Bush's 2nd term. What policy or law has been implemented since January of 2009 that has caused gas to go up?

How about the cost of gas doubling and the unemployment rate up? Those are two things many americans track closely.

The UE rate is a legit issue. I'd say it's a bit misleading to say the gas doubled. It was about $3.90 right before he took office. Took a big drop due to the economy going south quickly.

UE would be the fair complaint.

MC, here's the problem with the above. The economy issue is a perfect debate to have and a perfect weapon against the President. It is what Mr Romney should hammer.

The problem with your post is it's filled with gibberish and no real facts. What are we supposed to debate from what you've posted?

You seriously believe the POTUS does not care about the economy? You seriously believe his sole goal is to make everyone dependent on the govt? Come on. That's crap and incapable of being supported.

Give us something to debate here.

You surely aren't referring to that 1.83 thing are you? We all remember that gas was just as high as it is now during President Bush's 2nd term. What policy or law has been implemented since January of 2009 that has caused gas to go up?

The UE rate is a legit issue. I'd say it's a bit misleading to say the gas doubled. It was about $3.90 right before he took office. Took a big drop due to the economy going south quickly.

UE would be the fair complaint.

I think both of you make a fair point on gas. The $1.80 (or what ever it was) a gallon gas in late 2008 wasn't here to stay and we all knew it.

That said what we saw when oil hit $140 a barrel prior to that should have been an eye opener. What has the POTUS done to help us avoid $140 a barrel oil?

That said what we saw when oil hit $140 a barrel prior to that should have been an eye opener. What has the POTUS done to help us avoid $140 a barrel oil?

As I've said numerous times NO POTUS (Bush or Obama) can control the price of gas. Myth.

As I've said numerous times NO POTUS (Bush or Obama) can control the price of gas. Myth.
Is that what I said? Also myth. If you think we are completely helpless to oil and gas prices then I guess the discussion is over. If you think we, the coutry lead by our elected leaders, can enact policy to ensure we are not at the mercy of oil for ever then see my previous post.

Is that what I said? Also myth. If you think we are completely helpless to oil and gas prices then I guess the discussion is over. If you think we, the coutry lead by our elected leaders, can enact policy to ensure we are not at the mercy of oil for ever then see my previous post.

Unless I've misread you asked what the POTUS has done to keep the price of a barrel down. I answered that he and any policy would have little to no impact.

Did I understand correctly?

Read my post again, that's not what I asked.

Unless I'm having a problem with my screen I saw one question:

What has the POTUS done to help us avoid $140 a barrel oil?

So you are either asking directly how policy impacts the price of a barrel OR you're asking are there other factors that indirectly lead to a different price of a barrel.