May 9, 201214 yr Did I miss why they said Chapman isn't the closer or wasn't pegged to be the closer in ST? Do they view the 8th inning guy more important(and you can certainly make that argument sometimes)? Is there something about pitching in the 9th that doesn't suit Chapman?
May 9, 201214 yr Did I miss why they said Chapman isn't the closer or wasn't pegged to be the closer in ST? Do they view the 8th inning guy more important(and you can certainly make that argument sometimes)? Is there something about pitching in the 9th that doesn't suit Chapman? Well in Spring Training Madson was set to be the closer. It was near the end of Spring Training I believe when they found out he was done for the year. The Reds plan on using Chapman as a starter a little later in the year. Why put him in the closer's role for just a couple of months?
May 9, 201214 yr Author Well in Spring Training Madson was set to be the closer. It was near the end of Spring Training I believe when they found out he was done for the year. The Reds plan on using Chapman as a starter a little later in the year. Why put him in the closer's role for just a couple of months? Are you speculating or did they say he would start some this season?
May 9, 201214 yr Although it hasn't been announced, I think the plan is to make Chapman a starter THIS year (once Masset and Bray return to form). Marshall was going to be the 8th inning guy when we signed him. When the closer goes down, it makes sense to move the 8th inning guy back into the closer's role. Add that to the fact that Chapman (hopefully) will be moved to the rotation in a few and it makes sense to slot Chapman in the 7th/8th. I would've used him for the 8th & 9th today, especially with a day off tomorrow.
May 9, 201214 yr Are you speculating or did they say he would start some this season?I haven't seen anything past speculation.
May 9, 201214 yr Although it hasn't been announced, I think the plan is to make Chapman a starter THIS year (once Masset and Bray return to form). Marshall was going to be the 8th inning guy when we signed him. When the closer goes down, it makes sense to move the 8th inning guy back into the closer's role. Add that to the fact that Chapman (hopefully) will be moved to the rotation in a few and it makes sense to slot Chapman in the 7th/8th. I would've used him for the 8th & 9th today, especially with a day off tomorrow. That was my feeling. With the day off tomorrow why not let him finish the game. Especially after the way he blew through the 8th inning. Heck, for that matter after the way he has blown through the first 6 weeks of the season.
May 9, 201214 yr The organization made it pretty clear in spring training that Chapman's future was as a starter.
May 9, 201214 yr I haven't seen anything past speculation. If they don't use him in a bigger role someone should be shown the door.
May 9, 201214 yr Author Can you go half a season pitching one inning and then jump to a starter role?
May 9, 201214 yr That was my feeling. With the day off tomorrow why not let him finish the game. Especially after the way he blew through the 8th inning. Heck, for that matter after the way he has blown through the first 6 weeks of the season. Once again, it's not Little League. When you are pinch hit for, you are done. There is no re-entry rule.
May 9, 201214 yr Can you go half a season pitching one inning and then jump to a starter role? Are there any rules against it???
May 9, 201214 yr Author Are there any rules against it??? Let me get back to you on that one. Obviously, I mean can his arm respond.
May 9, 201214 yr Can you go half a season pitching one inning and then jump to a starter role? I would think they would have to ease him in. Either long relief or a trip down to Louisville to adjust.
May 9, 201214 yr Can you go half a season pitching one inning and then jump to a starter role? The first person that comes to mind. Jose Rijo 1988 Pitching Gamelogs - Baseball-Reference.com
May 10, 201214 yr The first person that comes to mind. Jose Rijo 1988 Pitching Gamelogs - Baseball-Reference.com I feel like Brandon Morrow did this one year.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.