Chapman In the Closer Role

Did I miss why they said Chapman isn't the closer or wasn't pegged to be the closer in ST?

Do they view the 8th inning guy more important(and you can certainly make that argument sometimes)?

Is there something about pitching in the 9th that doesn't suit Chapman?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I miss why they said Chapman isn't the closer or wasn't pegged to be the closer in ST?

Do they view the 8th inning guy more important(and you can certainly make that argument sometimes)?

Is there something about pitching in the 9th that doesn't suit Chapman?

Well in Spring Training Madson was set to be the closer. It was near the end of Spring Training I believe when they found out he was done for the year. The Reds plan on using Chapman as a starter a little later in the year. Why put him in the closer's role for just a couple of months?

Well in Spring Training Madson was set to be the closer. It was near the end of Spring Training I believe when they found out he was done for the year. The Reds plan on using Chapman as a starter a little later in the year. Why put him in the closer's role for just a couple of months?

Are you speculating or did they say he would start some this season?

Although it hasn't been announced, I think the plan is to make Chapman a starter THIS year (once Masset and Bray return to form).

Marshall was going to be the 8th inning guy when we signed him. When the closer goes down, it makes sense to move the 8th inning guy back into the closer's role. Add that to the fact that Chapman (hopefully) will be moved to the rotation in a few and it makes sense to slot Chapman in the 7th/8th.

I would've used him for the 8th & 9th today, especially with a day off tomorrow.

Although it hasn't been announced, I think the plan is to make Chapman a starter THIS year (once Masset and Bray return to form).

Marshall was going to be the 8th inning guy when we signed him. When the closer goes down, it makes sense to move the 8th inning guy back into the closer's role. Add that to the fact that Chapman (hopefully) will be moved to the rotation in a few and it makes sense to slot Chapman in the 7th/8th.

I would've used him for the 8th & 9th today, especially with a day off tomorrow.

That was my feeling. With the day off tomorrow why not let him finish the game. Especially after the way he blew through the 8th inning. Heck, for that matter after the way he has blown through the first 6 weeks of the season.

That was my feeling. With the day off tomorrow why not let him finish the game. Especially after the way he blew through the 8th inning. Heck, for that matter after the way he has blown through the first 6 weeks of the season.

Once again, it's not Little League. When you are pinch hit for, you are done. There is no re-entry rule.

Can you go half a season pitching one inning and then jump to a starter role?

I would think they would have to ease him in. Either long relief or a trip down to Louisville to adjust.