Black or African American?

jericho

Which word is to be used for blacks, are we supposed to call them African Americans or Blacks? Does it matter?

I really don't think calling most blacks African Americans for the simple reason, they are not from Africa, they are born here.

That is like having to call me a European American because my ancestors are from there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black. I'm not a fan of African American but I understand why it is used. Call me black though. Born in Houston, Texas raised in Kentucky.

I

Agree with you, but why is it used if a person is not from Africa?

Black. I'm not a fan of African American but I understand why it is used. Call me black though. Born in Houston, Texas raised in Kentucky.

I Agree with you, but why is it used if a person is not from Africa?

I do not like either term. I do not feel comfortable describing anyone by their their race. I don't like to call people Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Those descriptions are out of my comfort zone.
So let's say you are mugged by a black guy. How do you plan on starting out your description to the sketch artist?

I do not like either term. I do not feel comfortable describing anyone by their their race. I don't like to call people Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Those descriptions are out of my comfort zone.

What do you call people that have light pigmentation like yours and mine? I call them white. I call PP92 black.

Sometimes it's not the word but the meaning behind it that can become offensive.

I try to use the term that those I'm referring to are good with, so I'm open to change, but it seems like black is kosher with most I know. I think the term "African American" was born during a time when most words used to describe black persons were pejoratives or implied inferiority, so a more neutral term was needed. I think at this point it's just more of a clunky and sometimes inaccurate expression (what do you call a black person from Europe or Canada or the Dominican Republic?).

So let's say you are mugged by a black guy. How do you plan on starting out your description to the sketch artist?

I guess I would say Black. But I have never met a "BLACK" Black person. Does that make sense?

First day of preschool, my 4-yr-old says, "I made a new friend. His name is Dante. We sat by each other on the A-B-C rug. Dante's skin is brown. We played together at recess. Can Dante come to my birthday party?"

If there must be a label, I wish it could be changed to Brown people.

Let's help Mt Ref come up with titles for his next thread on blacks.

"Why Do Blacks Get Their Own Month?"

"Why Isn't There a White Baseball HOF?"

"Was Jimmy the Greek Right?"

"Was Nipsey Russell Ever Funny?"

"Can You Be a White R&B Singer?"