Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Black or African American?

Featured Replies

When I was on active duty years ago, a fine young Marine of mine, got arrested as result of a bar fight. When I found out about it, I had him report to me, I asked him what happened. He said he had been drinking but minding his business when a sailer called him a "jar head". That caused the bar fight. I asked him if Marines call other Marines "jar heads". He said yes of course but said we can call each other that but we won't tolerate others calling us jar heads because it's an insult. I told him he was full of BS and was thinking like a 2nd grader. If the term "jar head" is insulting, it's insulting regardless of who uses it. Since we obviously call each other jar heads, the term is not insulting. If we don't want people to think of us as dumb jar heads, we should stop calling each other jar head. I told him to develop a thicker skin and keep his emotions under control in the future or I'd make sure he didn't stay in the Marines long. To this day I don't understand the logic behind "we can call us this, but you can't call us this" mentality.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was on active duty years ago, a fine young Marine of mine, got arrested as result of a bar fight. When I found out about it, I had him report to me, I asked him what happened. He said he had been drinking but minding his business when a sailer called him a "jar head". That caused the bar fight. I asked him if Marines call other Marines "jar heads". He said yes of course but said we can call each other that but we won't tolerate others calling us jar heads because it's an insult. I told him he was full of BS and was thinking like a 2nd grader. If the term "jar head" is insulting, it's insulting regardless of who uses it. Since we obviously call each other jar heads, the term is not insulting. If we don't want people to think of us as dumb jar heads, we should stop calling each other jar head. I told him to develop a thicker skin and keep his emotions under control in the future or I'd make sure he didn't stay in the Marines long. To this day I don't understand the logic behind "we can call us this, but you can't call us this" mentality.

 

I agree Cake Eater. Lol

Playing pick up ball in college, black guys would always say "Don't let white boy shoot?" Didn't come as an insult to me, took it as a compliment. But if I said, "Don't let black boy shoot". Well, I don't think that would always go over as well.

 

I don't know you. Never met you.

 

But I've read enough posts to come to the conclusion that your pickup basketball nickname just might be "The Black Hole".

 

(Ball gets sucked in and is never touched again by anyone else on the court).

I don't know you. Never met you.

 

But I've read enough posts to come to the conclusion that your pickup basketball nickname just might be "The Black Hole".

 

(Ball gets sucked in and is never touched again by anyone else on the court).

 

You absolutely know him then.

While we're at it, why is it that there are so many negative terms that incorporate "black"? I've never heard of anyone being whiteballed, whitelisted, being the white sheep of the family, procuring illegal substances on the white market, or giving someone's reputation a white eye.

Whitewash, white-knuckle, white collar crime? To name a few.

 

Does it have to do with etymology?

I don't know you. Never met you.

 

But I've read enough posts to come to the conclusion that your pickup basketball nickname just might be "The Black Hole".

 

(Ball gets sucked in and is never touched again by anyone else on the court).

 

You absolutely know him then.

 

You've got to be kidding me? I probably shot 5-6 times a game in high school.

 

And in college that number never really went much higher. Probably shot the 3rd-5th most on any team I've played on post-highschool :confused:

 

In fact I've never even remotely been referred to as a selfish player or ball hog in my life. Arrogant, maybe...overly aggressive (dirty), probably...never selfish haha!

You've got to be kidding me? I probably shot 5-6 times a game in high school.

 

And in college that number never really went much higher. Probably shot the 3rd-5th most on any team I've played on post-highschool :confused:

 

In fact I've never even remotely been referred to as a selfish player or ball hog in my life. Arrogant, maybe...overly aggressive (dirty), probably...never selfish haha!

 

Just having fun with you, holmes. Your boy Travis held you back.

Just having fun with you, holmes. Your boy Travis held you back.

 

Ain't that the truth haha! jk.

While we're at it, why is it that there are so many negative terms that incorporate "black"? I've never heard of anyone being whiteballed, whitelisted, being the white sheep of the family, procuring illegal substances on the white market, or giving someone's reputation a white eye.

 

"Black cat is bad luck, bad guys wear black. Must have been a white guy that started all that." MC Search - a white rapper from the late 80s and early 90s and one of Eminem's idols.

Whitewash, white-knuckle, white collar crime? To name a few.

 

Does it have to do with etymology?

White elephant, bleed someone white and lily-white are a few more.

White Lion from the 80s should have been Blackballed from heavy metal.:ylsuper:

I'm a cracker, through and through. I've always used "black", even though no one is really black. The one that used to make me cringe is when grandpa would say, "You know, your buddy James. The colored boy." When I got older I finally said, "Who in the hell colored all over my friend?"

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.