Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Black or African American?

Featured Replies

White. Though I really do not care. Saying Caucasian just sounds goofy.

 

Playing pick up ball in college, black guys would always say "Don't let white boy shoot?" Didn't come as an insult to me, took it as a compliment. But if I said, "Don't let black boy shoot". Well, I don't think that would always go over as well.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playing pick up ball in college, black guys would always say "Don't let white boy shoot?" Didn't come as an insult to me, took it as a compliment. But if I said, "Don't let black boy shoot". Well, I don't think that would always go over as well.

 

Correct. World is full of double standards.

 

Plus , all you do is shoot so I don't think they linked your whiteness to your shooting.

Do white people prefer to be called Caucasian or white?

 

I insist on being called a German American and anyone that doesn't call me that is offending me so they must stop immediately. :D

Correct. World is full of double standards.

 

Plus , all you do is shoot so I don't think they linked your whiteness to your shooting.

 

Totally right. They knew not to leave me open or there was a good chance I'd knock it down and I wasn't goint to be driving past too many people haha!

 

I just thought it was interesting because in a lot of TV shows or movies, a white guy calling a black guy, "boy" never goes over very well. But I hear black guys refer to white guys as "boy" all the time in the gym.

  • Author
Correct. World is full of double standards.

 

Plus , all you do is shoot so I don't think they linked your whiteness to your shooting.

 

So if blacks have double standards, isn't that racist. They can call us boy, but whites can't call them boy.

Do white people prefer to be called Caucasian or white?

Freckled works for me.

So if blacks have double standards, isn't that racist. They can call us boy, but whites can't call them boy.

 

When the word boy is used by a white man talking to a black man sometimes there is a racial connotation....

 

Forget it....yeah it's racist. I'll see what I can do about erasing the double standard. I'll call Al and Jesse and tell them to leave Florida and get right on the real issue at hand.

So if blacks have double standards, isn't that racist. They can call us boy, but whites can't call them boy.

 

Yes.

 

Your point?

A girl in one of my classes said she preferred to be called a Black American.

 

Silly me--I grew up thinking (and being taught) we were all just "Americans" regardless of color, ethnicity, etc. ??

Silly me--I grew up thinking (and being taught) we were all just "Americans" regardless of color, ethnicity, etc. ??

:thumb: That is why I hate giving my friends any other label than, "my friends".

PP92 retweeted something yesterday that is pertinent and interesting. Some have said "I think of us all as Americans" or " I do not see color."

 

We SHOULD see color.We SHOULD recognize differences. Cultures are different. We should love that.

 

It only becomes racist when you let that color you see blind you.

PP92 retweeted something yesterday that is pertinent and interesting. Some have said "I think of us all as Americans" or " I do not see color."

 

We SHOULD see color.We SHOULD recognize differences. Cultures are different. We should love that.

 

It only becomes racist when you let that color you see blind you.

 

:thumb::thumb:

PP92 retweeted something yesterday that is pertinent and interesting. Some have said "I think of us all as Americans" or " I do not see color."

 

We SHOULD see color.We SHOULD recognize differences. Cultures are different. We should love that.

 

It only becomes racist when you let that color you see blind you.

:thumb:

I fully embrace the differences and the color--- BUT

IF that color starts to separate us, than I become color blind. I don't want to miss anything....

:thumb:

I fully embrace the differences and the color--- BUT

IF that color starts to separate us, than I become color blind. I don't want to miss anything....

 

I guess it depends on how you mean "separate us." If you mean it as in "they're different - we don't associate" then I agree. Making distinctions between races is not a bad thing. It's simply how you act upon those.

 

Ex: My son (white) dated a black girl for quite some time. She didn't come from the suburbs. It would foolish of me to think that all suburb activities/beliefs/habits are 100% natural to her. 99% were. However, that 1% has to be taken into consideration. I know her father did the same with my son when he went to her house. So recognizing that there are differences is not bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.