KET's KY Tonight on 10/31-About the Public/Private Topic

rockmom

On Monday, Oct. 31, Trinity President Rob Mullen will participate in a televised discussion with several other representatives on "both sides" of the Public/Private schools topic.

The discussion will air on KET's "Kentucky Tonight" at 8 p.m. on Monday. Bill Goodman hosts the show. Other representatives include: Wilson Sears, superintendent, Somerset Independent Schools; Leisa Speer, superintendent, Louisville Archdiocesan Schools; and Jim McKee, athletic director and head football coach, Scott County High School.

The hour-long broadcast airs live statewide on KET1 beginning at 8 p.m. Viewers with questions and comments participate live by telephone.

The program will be broadcast from KET's studios at 600 Cooper Drive in Lexington.

http://www.thsrock.net/index.php?p=181&id=237

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

END OF AN ERA, OR JUST AN ERROR?

Somerset superintendent Wilson Sears, one of the proposal's main advocates, shared an interesting fact with the delegates: 48 non-public schools belong to the KHSAA, but there are 82 other non-public high schools in Kentucky. All together they have 98,000 students, more students that in the Jefferson County system. "That's 82 more non-public schools out there that are potential KHSAA members."

I find this hard to believe. The biggest private schools in the KHSAA listed in a Courier-Journal article from 10/17/05 were:

St. X 1,407

Trinity 1,400

Assumption 1,019

LexCath 870

Sacred Heart 770

Sears is saying that these 82 non KHSAA schools have an average enrollment of 1,195 (98,000/82).

I hope somebody asks Mr. Sears where these 98,000 private school kids attend school.

Colonel Fan: If they aren't in the KHSAA, it would make it kind of hard to have their enrollments listed with the KHSAA.

There are tons of small Christian high schools scattered all over the state that don't compete in the KHSAA, but in their own leagues. That's what Sears is referring to. There are two (I think) in Somerset alone.

The key word is small.

Sears was using scare tactics plain and simple. If as he said there are 82 non-public schools with 98,000 students then for those numbers to be correct they would have to have an average enrollment of almost 1200 students. I just don't think that that is the case and I may call in Monday and ask him about it.

The key word is small.

Sears was using scare tactics plain and simple. If as he said there are 82 non-public schools with 98,000 students then for those numbers to be correct they would have to have an average enrollment of almost 1200 students. I just don't think that that is the case and I may call in Monday and ask him about it.

He may be playing fast and loose with the truth and counting elementary school enrollment numbers as well to reach that 98K figure.

He may be playing fast and loose with the truth and counting elementary school enrollment numbers as well to reach that 98K figure.

Still interesting....

St. Gabriel is the largest Catholic grade school in the state, and I believe they have less than 800. :lol:

END OF AN ERA, OR JUST AN ERROR?

Somerset superintendent Wilson Sears, one of the proposal's main advocates, shared an interesting fact with the delegates: 48 non-public schools belong to the KHSAA, but there are 82 other non-public high schools in Kentucky. All together they have 98,000 students, more students that in the Jefferson County system. "That's 82 more non-public schools out there that are potential KHSAA members."

I find this hard to believe. The biggest private schools in the KHSAA listed in a Courier-Journal article from 10/17/05 were:

St. X 1,407

Trinity 1,400

Assumption 1,019

LexCath 870

Sacred Heart 770

Sears is saying that these 82 non KHSAA schools have an average enrollment of 1,195 (98,000/82).

I hope somebody asks Mr. Sears where these 98,000 private school kids attend school.

Sounds like this guy learned to count from the same school Jeffersonville, IN's AD (Tackett I think his name is) did when he said Trinity and St. X have 1,500 - 1,600 students. You know, maybe if some of these guys would use real stats rather than pulling them from out of from their butts, I may take them more seriously.

According to the most accurate information I have found, Mr. Sears is off by more than 27,000 students.

There are approximately 660,700 K-12 students enrolled in public schools statewide, to just 72,800 enrolled in private schools according to http://www.heritage.org. That’s a ratio of 9 public to 1 private student enrollment statewide.

I realize that in terms of the situation in Louisville, there are some large private schools, but for accuracy’s sake, when we're referring to the big bad private schools statewide, please keep in mind the figure 10%.

^ my exact thoughts....I would like for Sexton to say why his kids did/do go to Male instead of THEIR district school.

At least they didn't go to school across the river or in another county. :rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they didn't want to attend a school where their father was an administrator?

Quote: Did it ever occur to you that maybe they didn't want to attend a school where their father was an administrator?

So their reason for attending a school of choice is ok, but you've decided others' reasons for attending schools of their choice not ok.

That seems a bit judgemental and hypocritalcal.