KET's KY Tonight on 10/31-About the Public/Private Topic

rockmom

The one valid bone of contention that is the base of the whole argument is the statement that 4 or 5 young players in any sport each fro a different public school district can decide to play together at any frivate high school of their choice, they can't do that in the public system. This happening now in different areas because many kids play on AAU teams together, enjoy success in the AAU program, and then want to transfer this same success to high school. It seems like over the past 15 - 20 years the proliferation of select teams has encouraged more of this behavior. Hopefully the people making the decisions in this matter will reach a compromise that allows both sides agree. Finally I thought the question posed to the Trinity President concerning Trinity & St. X playing in the same district in all sports but football and his inability to answer the posed question shows the actual target of Prop 20.

I must have been giving out Trick or Treat candy when this question was asked. Can you elaborate?

What was the question?

Were they refering to PUTTING Trinity & X in the same district in all but football? As far as I know, they are in different districts in all sports right now.

I find it impossible for Dr. Mullen to be unable to answer a valid question. He's very, very qualified to represent the private school perspective.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trinity and X are not in the same district in all sports they are in the same region, big difference. And he did answer the question.

And as Dr. Mullen stated, at one time Trinity and X did have to face each other prior to the football championship game but the powers that be in the KHSAA decided they wanted them opposite each other. Let's go back to the old days of a Jefferson County team playing a state team for the 4A championship. That wasn't good enough 20 years ago, why would it be good enough now?

Not questioning anyone's ability. The question from the Scott Co. coach was "Does Trinity have to beat St. X in baseball, volleyball, basketball, track, to get to the state finals?" The answer was yes. The Scott County coach then asked then why was it in Football that St. X and Trinity can meet until the state finals, His answer was at best evasive and bottom line only one could make the finals every year. They are both from the same area this is a resonable question.

Not questioning anyone's ability. The question from the Scott Co. coach was "Does Trinity have to beat St. X in baseball, volleyball, basketball, track, to get to the state finals?" The answer was yes. The Scott County coach then asked then why was it in Football that St. X and Trinity can meet until the state finals, His answer was at best evasive and bottom line only one could make the finals every year. They are both from the same area this is a resonable question.

Because the KHSAA put them opposite each other all the way down the line until the finals. I remember a similar question coming up later, and Dr. Mullen pointed out that it used to be Jeff Co vs. the State for football championships.

Trinity and X have no ability to determine where they are in the playoffs, the KHSAA has the power. I am not sure where you are trying to go with this.

I think the question of fairness is still there. Is there any other area of the state where this situation exsist? So why just in footbal using that argument it is Jefferson Co. versus the state in all the other sports. Lets be honest the best possible situation for the KHSAA to maximise the $$$$$$$$ is a St. X vrs Trinity championship and as long as dollars and ego govern the KHSAA the problem is a lot deeper than pulic versus private.

Is there any other area in the state where the population is such that it can support 20+ high schools?

Because of an outcry from the state at large teams about a Jefferson County team being assured of one spot in the 4A championship game the KHSAA re-structured the playoffs so that in the semi-finals one Jefferson County team was able to play at home and one had to travel. The hope was that some day two state teams would meet for the championship. It hasn't happened yet. Now they want to change the rules again because they haven't gotten their way. Put X and Trinity on the same side of the bracket but don't whine when there is always a Jefferson County team in the championship game.

Now they want to change the rules again because they haven't gotten their way. Put X and Trinity on the same side of the bracket but don't whine when there is always a Jefferson County team in the championship game.

This brings back memories. I remember when this was done. The Wilson Sears of the time had it in for Jefferson County schools. The mentality was that Jefferson County (regardless of public or private) was 'stealing' a spot that rightfully belonged to non-JC schools in the 4A football championship. Their fix for that has failed to achieve what they wanted then so now they are just sharpening the spear point a little more to get what they want.

I find this to be an interesting comment as well. Somerset HS gears up its whole basketball season for the All A Classic. In each of the last four years, Somerset's boys team was knocked out by a private school -- twice in the finals (UHA) and once more in the semis (Rose Hill/Mayo/Walker). They want those privates gone altogether.

This sheds a lot of light on the motivation and the reason that there is no compromise in Wilson Sears. Facts are not going to get in the way of the mission. That was obvious last night. McKee was soft selling the no-compromise stance, but it was still a no-compromise stance. His recurring statement that "perception is reality" is a very thinly veiled way of saying - "we want what we want - and facts have no bearing."

For those trying to discuss this issue with facts you might want to save your frustration. As the saying goes - "Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig." Sears and McKee were obviously annoyed by facts last night.

This sheds a lot of light on the motivation and the reason that there is no compromise in Wilson Sears. Facts are not going to get in the way of the mission. That was obvious last night. McKee was soft selling the no-compromise stance, but it was still a no-compromise stance. His recurring statement that "perception is reality" is a very thinly veiled way of saying - "we want what we want - and facts have no bearing."

For those trying to discuss this issue with facts you might want to save your frustration. As the saying goes - "Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig." Sears and McKee were obviously annoyed by facts last night.

I was wondering about that. At one point, Sears was looking at his watch. At another, he was rubbing his face, and his expression was anything but "open".

Two things. The times I menton are over meals in between games, sitting in our seats watching the games, over the summer at camps in the gym or our dorm rooms, etc, etc.

2nd. So since they never say it or indicate it, you can safely assume they are? Not following that logic.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that someone might hide their true feelings in speech, yet allow their actions to speak for them? Not everyone is a man/woman of their word. Don't be so naive.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see the show last night,but I'll offer a few comments about where The situation stands.

1. Is a part of the motivation behind this anti Catholic feeling? I believe it is, but at the very least I believe that there is a VERY STRONG anti private school feeling that is the major motivation. I believe that the ultimate goal of these superintendents is to destroy private schools. They will chip away at the private schools as much as they can. If they can attack athletics first they will use that to undermine support for the private schools.

2. Is a compromise possible? Yes it is, but only if the public schools believe that their only alternative is a complete loss. Their goal is to kick out the private schools and they don't wan't anything less. The private schools want a compromise. They are willing to compromise. It is the public schools that don't want it.

3. The goal of the public school superintendents is to protect public education by trying to put any alternative education out of business.

If, as has been brought up, the major motivation for Sears and the Somerset schools is the All A classic then what will this accomplish? The All A is not a KHSAA tournament and since Prop 20 would "allow" private schools to play public schools during the regular season then the privates could still be included in the All A (and LIT, KOB etc.). If that is his motivation then he hasn't done his homework very well.

His answer was at best evasive and bottom line only one could make the finals every year.

Evasive? What show were you watching? It is a yes/no questions. He answered the question posed.

He real answer should have been: Why shouldn't the two best teams have a chance at meeting in the finals? Remember, X has to play all teams from the west and Trinity has all teams from the east and north to beat before they can meet in the finals. If you don't want them to meet in the finals, all you have to do is win instead of whine.

I think the questioner (Scott Co.) showed his ignorance of the facts and history. It used to be that way, and people whined. Make up you mind.

In the end, we will still win. That won’t change a thing.

The one valid bone of contention that is the base of the whole argument is the statement that 4 or 5 young players in any sport each fro a different public school district can decide to play together at any frivate high school of their choice, they can't do that in the public system. .

This is another misconception that just cracks me up that it is never talked about. If you live in Louisville you can go to any Public School you want if they will have you. I will tell you this right now, I used to coach at a school bordering Louisville and we lost more players to a Public school in Jefferson County then we did the private schools. I do think there is an unfair advantage as far as numbers go in 1A and 4A. There are options being looked at to try to level things off there. In the end there isn't a perfect solution. Somebody somewhere is always going to get the shaft some way!