KET's KY Tonight on 10/31-About the Public/Private Topic

rockmom

While there may be silly individuals who make such comments cloaked behind an username, I do not believe that plays any part of decision making for the 195 individuals who cast a Yes vote for Prop 20.

Maybe you don't, LBBC, but in listening to some recent radio call in shows, I'm questioning the intentions of the supporters as well.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you don't, LBBC, but in listening to some recent radio call in shows, I'm questioning the intentions of the supporters as well.

You listen to Al Sharpton and Louis Farankan, then Bush is a racists too. I don't think you can make a judgement like THIS on the 195 people who voted YES by the calls of some very STOOPID people that call into a talk show or post under an username on the Internet.

I have talked to many coaches, administrators and school personnel across the state on this issue and have NEVER heard one comment that would give me cause to think this. Remember, this includes seating with coaches throughout the state at the girls state tournament as we watched 5 state tournaments in a row won by a Catholic school.

Remember, my view is tainted from my experiences in dealing with public school personnel that were making the call on how to vote. Do I know all 195, no way. I cannot make that blanket statement but I do not believe that there is a anti-Catholic movement in HS athletics out there.

Why in this country can we not disagree on something without one side saying it is some sort of discriminatory practice by the other side? It is getting to the point that you cannot disagree with someone for fear of being called a bigot.

Well that was a soapbox I didn't plan on getting on top of today. :D

Remember, this includes seating with coaches throughout the state at the girls state tournament as we watched 5 state tournaments in a row won by a Catholic school.

I wonder if Lex Cath or Cov Cath complained about the 5 titles Boyle won in a row...

You listen to Al Sharpton and Louis Farankan, then Bush is a racists too. I don't think you can make a judgement like THIS on the 195 people who voted YES by the calls of some very STOOPID people that call into a talk show or post under an username on the Internet.

I have talked to many coaches, administrators and school personnel across the state on this issue and have NEVER heard one comment that would give me cause to think this. Remember, this includes seating with coaches throughout the state at the girls state tournament as we watched 5 state tournaments in a row won by a Catholic school.

Remember, my view is tainted from my experiences in dealing with public school personnel that were making the call on how to vote. Do I know all 195, no way. I cannot make that blanket statement but I do not believe that there is a anti-Catholic movement in HS athletics out there.

Why in this country can we not disagree on something without one side saying it is some sort of discriminatory practice by the other side? It is getting to the point that you cannot disagree with someone for fear of being called a bigot.

How many people are going to say, in public, "I hate Catholics and their cheating schools."

Please tell me you are kidding. If a vote of this magnitude was moved for an asinine reason like that then I have no hope that calmer heads will prevail.

Not for that reason, but he was the one to push for it to move to the top of the Agenda.

I wonder if Lex Cath or Cov Cath complained about the 5 titles Boyle won in a row...

Did you even read the post to get a context this statement was made or just like pulling one part out to make it sound different?

Please do not treat my posts like media soundbites and pull out one part to make it sound different than it was designed to be.

The post was made in that if I was going to hear any ANTI-CATHOLIC comments it would have been during the 5 years and 75 games that two Catholic schools were winning the girls state title. AND I HEARD NO ANTI-CATHOLIC COMMENTS DURING THAT TIME.

Reflecting back on AllTell's and RM's post. I do concede that the environment that this is being discussed in Jefferson County is probably a lot different than in rural count Kentucky or NKY. I have not heard it mention one time on NKY/Cincy radio. It might have been discussed, but it is not discussed in great detail. Radio up here likes to talk Bengals. WHO DEY!.

How many people are going to say, in public, "I hate Catholics and their cheating schools."

Two things. The times I menton are over meals in between games, sitting in our seats watching the games, over the summer at camps in the gym or our dorm rooms, etc, etc.

2nd. So since they never say it or indicate it, you can safely assume they are? Not following that logic.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I simply can't dismiss what I've heard, even if it's from "stoopid" people. When I hear caller after caller referring to "those Catholic schools", and other things I hear and see, it gets harder and harder to believe that of those 195 votes, a good portion of them, while arguably voting to "level the playing field", aren't at least in part influenced by the fact that largest number of private schools are Catholic.

Oh my gosh that is okay.

Remember last night, it is okay according to McKee and Sears for a private school student to transfer to a public school. Why is this right? Don't give me all that garbage about EVERY KID IN AMERICA having a right for a public school education. IT might be in an state amendment, but not in the Constitution of the United States. There might be lawsuits? Well their might be lawsuits from the private schools.

Sad Sad Sad. We will still play the Catholic schools. Of course they have great crowds. Good Luck Public schools at your crowds of 5,000 State Championship. God is that going to pay for the refs.

Oh my gosh that is okay.

Remember last night, it is okay according to McKee and Sears for a private school student to transfer to a public school. Why is this right? Don't give me all that garbage about EVERY KID IN AMERICA having a right for a public school education. IT might be in an state amendment, but not in the Constitution of the United States.

Sad Sad Sad. We will still play the Catholic schools. Of course they have great crowds. Good Luck Public schools at your crowds of 5,000 State Championship. God is that going to pay for the refs.

Actually the part I bolded is true. What is left unsaid is that every kid in America is NOT guaranteed the right to play sports their freshman year in a public OR private school.

First and foremost, I do not believe that 195 individuals decided to vote for Prop 20 independently. I have heard to much talk of pressure being brought down from superintendents on principals and ADs to believe that all 195 voters made truly independent votes based on what they believed the merits of Prop 20 to be. Maybe it would have passed without that pressure but we'll never know will we?

Second, I do believe that anti-Catholic sentiment played a factor in some of the 195 votes. I have read and heard to many things with a definite anti-Catholic edge since this all started to believe otherwise.

Third, I am more convinced then ever that no compromise is possible. I have become convinced that many on the public side are afraid of what continued success in private schools can do to them in terms of drawing students (not athletes) away. They can not do anything about the atmosphere within the private schools that make them a more attractive option for many parents but they can try to knock some of the shine off of them by making the athletic opportunities at private schools less attractive. As was stated several times last night, Trinity and St. X will always have good football teams but what about their wrestling teams, their basketball teams, their soccer teams, their baseball teams etc. These are programs where the public schools do have a good deal of success against them and while I firmly believe that a football championship without private school involvement will be a shallow victory, I also believe that a baseball, wrestling, basketball etc. championship without public school competition will be just as shallow. I doubt that many young men that want to play football for a great program will decide to go to public schools if Prop 20 becomes a reality, but I can see many young men and women that participate in other sports deciding to go to public schools if it ever takes effect. More so then ever after hearing the comments from Sears last night I think that the overall agenda of many Prop 20 supporters is to use it as a way to make more students want to attend public schools.

Actually the part I bolded is true. What is left unsaid is that every kid in America is NOT guaranteed the right to play sports their freshman year in a public OR private school.

i was just refering to the quick comment Sears had when the gentlemen from Trinity and McKee were talking about transfers from Private schools going to a Public school is okay not to sit out.

One reason was Sam Harp. He had to go eat and wanted it moved to the top.

Please tell me you are kidding. If a vote of this magnitude was moved for an asinine reason like that then I have no hope that calmer heads will prevail.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is getting better each day.

First and foremost, I do not believe that 195 individuals decided to vote for Prop 20 independently. I have heard to much talk of pressure being brought down from superintendents on principals and ADs to believe that all 195 voters made truly independent votes based on what they believed the merits of Prop 20 to be. Maybe it would have passed without that pressure but we'll never know will we?

Second, I do believe that anti-Catholic sentiment played a factor in some of the 195 votes. I have read and heard to many things with a definite anti-Catholic edge since this all started to believe otherwise.

Third, I am more convinced then ever that no compromise is possible. I have become convinced that many on the public side are afraid of what continued success in private schools can do to them in terms of drawing students (not athletes) away. They can not do anything about the atmosphere within the private schools that make them a more attractive option for many parents but they can try to knock some of the shine off of them by making the athletic opportunities at private schools less attractive. As was stated several times last night, Trinity and St. X will always have good football teams but what about their wrestling teams, their basketball teams, their soccer teams, their baseball teams etc. These are programs where the public schools do have a good deal of success against them and while I firmly believe that a football championship without private school involvement will be a shallow victory, I also believe that a baseball, wrestling, basketball etc. championship without public school competition will be just as shallow. I doubt that many young men that want to play football for a great program will decide to go to public schools if Prop 20 becomes a reality, but I can see many young men and women that participate in other sports deciding to go to public schools if it ever takes effect. More so then ever after hearing the comments from Sears last night I think that the overall agenda of many Prop 20 supporters is to use it as a way to make more students want to attend public schools.

Everything you say is right, but I still think it won't knock the shine off. The Public schools do not understand the monster they are getting ready to unleash. I know for a fact every Catholic school will go to another Association. I also know for a fact that alot of Catholic schools feels that if we can't compete in the playoffs then we can't compete in the regular season with the public schools.

The one valid bone of contention that is the base of the whole argument is the statement that 4 or 5 young players in any sport each fro a different public school district can decide to play together at any frivate high school of their choice, they can't do that in the public system. This happening now in different areas because many kids play on AAU teams together, enjoy success in the AAU program, and then want to transfer this same success to high school. It seems like over the past 15 - 20 years the proliferation of select teams has encouraged more of this behavior. Hopefully the people making the decisions in this matter will reach a compromise that allows both sides agree. Finally I thought the question posed to the Trinity President concerning Trinity & St. X playing in the same district in all sports but football and his inability to answer the posed question shows the actual target of Prop 20.