St. X vs Manual

tigershark

With the game fast approaching and the public / private debate heating up I thought I would throw this out there.

I’m not 100% positive, and I am still looking for the exact numbers, but I have heard from several sources around town that the Manual varsity team has more players form catholic grade schools than the St. X varsity team has from public grade schools. I thought that was very interesting.

I will let you know what I find.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the game fast approaching and the public / private debate heating up I thought I would throw this out there.

I’m not 100% positive, and I am still looking for the exact numbers, but I have heard from several sources around town that the Manual varsity team has more players form catholic grade schools than the St. X varsity team has from public grade schools. I thought that was very interesting.

That has been true for years though, it is nothing new, Manual traditionally drew from heavily Catholic Germantown, there are generation upon generation of catholics that went to Manual High School, my brothers and I are Catholics and some of them played for St. Margret Mary, I was looking in to going to St.X but chose Manual. I had cousins that had graduated from Manual and Trinity and my grandfather went to St.X. One lineman on this years team had been coming to Manual games for years to watch his cousins play and left Catholic schools to come to Manual when he got the chance. It is a public school, it is cheaper than going to St.X or Trinity, and it is a good school. Lots of Catholics go there, few if any of the reasons is because of sports.

That has been true for years though, it is nothing new, Manual traditionally drew from heavily Catholic Germantown, there are generation upon generation of catholics that went to Manual High School, my brothers and I are Catholics and some of them played for St. Margret Mary, I was looking in to going to St.X but chose Manual. I had cousins that had graduated from Manual and Trinity and my grandfather went to St.X. One lineman on this years team had been coming to Manual games for years to watch his cousins play and left Catholic schools to come to Manual when he got the chance. It is a public school, it is cheaper than going to St.X or Trinity, and it is a good school. Lots of Catholics go there, few if any of the reasons is because of sports.

:thumb:

As I've said before, my guess is that of the public schools, Manual has the highest percentage of Catholic kids...

I played for a Catholic grade school and than played for Manual. More than a single person has implied that Manual recruits from the Catholic Grade Schools so just go out and say what your alluding to. BTW if Manual is recruiting there they need to stop, that isn't where the talent is. That's like looking for beauty models at Jenny Craig.

^ Somebody better tell Trinity and St. X then.... with all those no talent Catholic kids they will never win a state title!
I think what he is saying is it's not the Catholic boys that people are worried about going to St. X and Trinity. Either way it is tounge and cheek, we were as much those no talent Catholic boys he is teasing about as any.

so just go out and say what your alluding to. BTW if Manual is recruiting there they need to stop.

I was not alluding to anything, I believe young men today should be able to go to any school they choose, public or private, play any sport they choose and work to be the very best they can be.

I think what he is saying is it's not the Catholic boys that people are worried about going to St. X and Trinity. Either way it is tounge and cheek, we were as much those no talent Catholic boys he is teasing about as any.

Be careful about responding for RRR... remember that ONE time, I tried to analyze what he was talking about before he had a chance... :rolleyes::p

Dosen't everyone know that only public schools are allowed to lay claim to middle schools kids that are in the "feeder" schools for them. When a kid from a public middle school decides to go to a private high school it has to be because he was "taken away" from a public school.

The converse of that situation is not true, in fact kids from parochial elementary schools are open game for public schools and no one bats an eye.

Dosen't everyone know that only public schools are allowed to lay claim to middle schools kids that are in the "feeder" schools for them. When a kid from a public middle school decides to go to a private high school it has to be because he was "taken away" from a public school.

The converse of that situation is not true, in fact kids from parochial elementary schools are open game for public schools and no one bats an eye.

Does anyone from Manual on this board say that?

One thing to keep in mind is that the JCPS middle school program is far worse than the high school program. There really aren't any good/safe public middle schools in Jefferson County, yet the same isn't true for the highschool system. Most private middle schools happen to be cheaper than private high schools. Manual being one of the better High Schools happens to pick up many students from the private middle schools. It is aslo worth mentioning that most of those students happen to be female anyways.

It is no secret that the public schools pick up a lot of kids from the Catholic grade schools. The point is that it seems that no one has a problem when a kid moves from a Catholic school to a public school, but when the reverse happens everyone is ready to cry foul. If any of those kids are making the move to a public school because they can't afford a Catholic school, I'm sorry and we'll try to do a better job of making sure that enough money is available that anyone that wants to attend is able. If the move is for any other reason, it is none of our business. The same is true or kids that choose to move from a public school to a private school.