September 30, 200521 yr The whole tone of the ram95 post was offensive. He is asking the private schools to prove a negative. That is an unreasonable burden. The evidence is out there. It is not necessary to show the distribution of kids that get aid. The smoking gun would be for someone to find a kid that was either given aid in excess of what the independent rating service said they should receive OR to find a nonathlete that applied for aid, was qualified to receive aid and then denied aid. That evidence does not exist. What sickens me is that people like Sexton and the Manual principal KNOW the procedures used by the private schools and they choose to ignore that information. I find them disgusting.If you can hear the tone of my post then you need to work on the speakers alittle bit because I am not defending the prop 20 signers. I agree that proving a negitive is an exercise in futility. I am not asking the privates to do anything I am merely laying out the roots of the arguments of the prop 20 issue. I myself have stated that is is nearly impossible to prove any wrong doing or prove a negitive, and a number of times I have said that am against prop 20. Please read the post again. I am not the enemy.
September 30, 200521 yr How does one get into Manual who may have went to T.J.? Do they use a test to accept kids or look at middle school grades?I went to Meyzeek and had a few d's on my report cards and even an f in Spanish once. No quiero Senora Taylor. Ella es un professora muy muy mal. But I scored very well on standardized test and aced History, Math, computers, and Science.
September 30, 200521 yr Back on to the Topic: :fire: TIGERS ATTACK HERD OF LAMBIKINS IN OPEN FIELD ON BURNETT :fire: :ylsuper: CHECK'S HAS MUTTON STEW SPECIAL ON FRIDAY NIGHT :ylsuper: Is this the last year for the renters as the home team Ox? :confused:
September 30, 200521 yr I went to Meyzeek and had a few d's on my report cards and even an f in Spanish once. No quiero Senora Taylor. Ella es un professora muy muy mal. But I scored very well on standardized test and aced History, Math, computers, and Science.Yeah, but you ran a 6.54 forty.
September 30, 200521 yr Yeah, but you ran a 6.54 forty. Shut up don't share my personal best highlights with the peanut gallery....
September 30, 200521 yr Is this the last year for the renters as the home team Ox? :confused: I believe they have one more after this.
September 30, 200521 yr Is this the last year for the renters as the home team Ox? :confused: We'll know for sure by the end of this year, Ram. If things go as planned, we will be in the new "Oxnard Stadium" (I'm still trying to raise the final $1,999,999 needed for naming rights :lol: ) in the fall of 2007, which means this WOULD be our last HOME game against Manual in Manual Stadium. Personally, I don't know whether to smile or cry :cry: .
September 30, 200521 yr Author I have been very careful and cautious when posting on this thread because it is a topic that I feel very strongly about. I am aware that there are good people in the public school system and that the “powers to be” don’t speak for everyone, but that is often the perception. I couldn’t find a way to put into words what I believe is the problem with the public school athletic landscape until I read the paper today. You can find the following In the Readers’ Corner on page C3 of the Courier Journal. “Open Enrollment Hurt School Pride, Athletics” As I was driving to the Catholic high school at which I teach last week, I saw a group of about 36 young men out for their predawn run. It was our cross country team, and it was 7:20 a.m. This work ethic has nothing to do with financial aid or geographical boundaries. I noticed in the newspaper over the weekend that there were 96 students in the greater Louisville area who have been designated National Merit semifinalists. There were 34 young people from Manual but only 11 other students from the entire Jefferson County Public Schools system. When the school board made the decision to go to basically an “open enrollment” policy, it created a few select schools but really diminished the neighborhood school concept and took away a lot of the pride that used to exist in the various neighborhoods. I believe this concept has also diminished the quality of athletics throughout most of the JCPS system. When I was coaching in the 1970s and ‘80’s at the school where I now teach, we always knew we were going to be in a tough contest against most of the public schools we faced. There was a pride in their community that showed up in their performance and in their crowd support. The private schools did not take this pride away from the individual communities. We should not try to cut off the legs of the giant to be as tall. Maybe JCPS needs to look from within and work to get better, which used to be the American way of doing things. I am happy to see that someone has finally introduced the elephant in the room.
September 30, 200521 yr I have been very careful and cautious when posting on this thread because it is a topic that I feel very strongly about. I am aware that there are good people in the public school system and that the “powers to be” don’t speak for everyone, but that is often the perception. I couldn’t find a way to put into words what I believe is the problem with the public school athletic landscape until I read the paper today. You can find the following In the Readers’ Corner on page C3 of the Courier Journal. “Open Enrollment Hurt School Pride, Athletics” As I was driving to the Catholic high school at which I teach last week, I saw a group of about 36 young men out for their predawn run. It was our cross country team, and it was 7:20 a.m. This work ethic has nothing to do with financial aid or geographical boundaries. I noticed in the newspaper over the weekend that there were 96 students in the greater Louisville area who have been designated National Merit semifinalists. There were 34 young people from Manual but only 11 other students from the entire Jefferson County Public Schools system. When the school board made the decision to go to basically an “open enrollment” policy, it created a few select schools but really diminished the neighborhood school concept and took away a lot of the pride that used to exist in the various neighborhoods. I believe this concept has also diminished the quality of athletics throughout most of the JCPS system. When I was coaching in the 1970s and ‘80’s at the school where I now teach, we always knew we were going to be in a tough contest against most of the public schools we faced. There was a pride in their community that showed up in their performance and in their crowd support. The private schools did not take this pride away from the individual communities. We should not try to cut off the legs of the giant to be as tall. Maybe JCPS needs to look from within and work to get better, which used to be the American way of doing things. I am happy to see that someone has finally introduced the elephant in the room. Because a Catholic School teacher couldn't possibly be baised toward wanting JCPS to wallow in Mediocrity. Please. Athletics is not education. We don't have schools to produce football players, we are producing everything, every type of person. There has to be schools that can teach at the pace required to challenge the top students as well as schools to cover the very slowest and everything in between other wise they are just babysitting and the private schools will benifit from the brain drain that Manual now gets. This is like a Ford employee writing an article downing the way Toyota does stuff. Neighborhood schools lead to two things, one the schools in the rich areas will do better than the poor areas. Two it makes schools into the caste system that we had prior to the optional schools, where the jocks rule and the smart kids are marginalized and their opportunity is stunted by the speed at which the dumbest person in the classroom gets it.
September 30, 200521 yr Author You need to read the article again. Your reply did not even touch on the main point of the Public School observation being made.
September 30, 200521 yr You need to read the article again. Your reply did not even touch on the main point of the Public School observation being made. That was a letter, not an article.
September 30, 200521 yr Author Because a Catholic School teacher couldn't possibly be baised toward wanting JCPS to wallow in Mediocrity. That is exactly the point. That is what needs to be fixed, that way public school students won’t think twice about leaving the public school system. Also I feel the majority of your reply dealt with the short comings of an individual school not the school system as a whole.
September 30, 200521 yr You need to read the article again. Your reply did not even touch on the main point of the Public School observation being made. He's saying that the 'main point' was missing the point...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.