Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. X vs Manual

Featured Replies

Does anyone from Manual on this board say that?

 

This issue isn't just about Manual, it's about the attitude of many in public schools state wide that if a student is in a public middle school he or she is by some strange logic the property of the public high school in that area.

  • Replies 99
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? You mean the administration doesn't read BGP? Well, DANGIT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Dr. Bev wuldn't be caught DEAD on this site...

This issue isn't just about Manual, it's about the attitude of many in public schools state wide that if a student is in a public middle school he or she is by some strange logic the property of the public high school in that area.

But since certainly no one from Manual will share that particular logic, it gets a little tiresome that we're the surrogate for your pent up frustrations.

But since certainly no one from Manual will share that particular logic, it gets a little tiresome that we're the surrogate for your pent up frustrations.

I'm not sure that the Manual Administration doesn't share the attitude. Actions speak louder than words. And if you think it's tiresome, every couple of years we have to fight to avoid being thrown out. Now that's tiresome.

  • Author

I completely understand and agree that it is not right for a student to be given a break on tuition because he or she is an athlete.

 

That being said I have still not heard or read a legitimate explanation by the public schools as to why a young person who attends a public grade school can’t choose to pursue a different path in their academic endeavors and continue to participate in clubs and activities such as athletics.

 

If the only public school argument is tuition assistance, than we need to sit down and fix that problem. Why punish those in compliance by removing them for competition. It is obvious to me that it is perfectly fine for a catholic grade school student to attend a public high school and participate in athletics but not the other way around.

 

So, what is the real complaint of the public schools?

I'm not sure that the Manual Administration doesn't share the attitude. Actions speak louder than words. And if you think it's tiresome, every couple of years we have to fight to avoid being thrown out. Now that's tiresome.
I'm not sure Manual people agree with the Manual administration. Remember gov and politics play a leading role when discussing the actions of public schools.

 

 

Also as a general note. Most people claiming the St X and Trinity are "stealing players, recruiting, and what not" are generally out of the know, and typically outside Jefferson County. The truth is in Jefferson County open enrollment is a bigger issue in terms of a school "losing" (BTW a sentiment I TOTALLY disagree with, schools DON'T own students) than losing students to the private schools.

 

Also I'll reiterate for the millionth time, St X and Trinity don't win because they are more talented. Many schools in Jefferson County have better athletes than those two schools put on the field, however those two schools have a great amount of solid depth that generally goes three deep. In a playoff system this favors the private schools and that is why they are so successful.

  • Author
as a general note. Most people claiming the St X and Trinity are "stealing players, recruiting, and what not" are generally out of the know, and typically outside Jefferson County.

 

Those “out of the know” people sure do have a lot of cheer leaders here in Jefferson County, Sexton from Eastern for example, leading the cheers.

I'm not sure that the Manual Administration doesn't share the attitude. Actions speak louder than words. And if you think it's tiresome, every couple of years we have to fight to avoid being thrown out. Now that's tiresome.

The specific example was about students belonging to an area high school... I promise you no one at Manual is going to nod their head to that thinking.

It is no secret that the public schools pick up a lot of kids from the Catholic grade schools. The point is that it seems that no one has a problem when a kid moves from a Catholic school to a public school, but when the reverse happens everyone is ready to cry foul. If any of those kids are making the move to a public school because they can't afford a Catholic school, I'm sorry and we'll try to do a better job of making sure that enough money is available that anyone that wants to attend is able. If the move is for any other reason, it is none of our business. The same is true or kids that choose to move from a public school to a private school.

I promise you this I have no problem if a student from public school goes to a Catholic school, as long as his parents are willing to make the financial investment, that is no problem that is there decision and that lightens the burden of educating them in public schools. The sticky part is the financial aid. I know that many if not most private school students recieve some form of aid, the problem is that it has the apperence to many that some kids would/could not attend those schools if they had to pay, and they think that they are effectively athletic scholarships. That may not be the case but that is the sticking point.

Those “out of the know” people sure do have a lot of cheer leaders here in Jefferson County, Sexton from Eastern for example, leading the cheers.

Very true. And I think that has at least alittle to do with the situation. After all Sexton has alot of pull within that district, schools like Southern, Fern Creek and Ballard they have that boycott going on. And Manual's principle is married to Southern's principle. Not that one thing has anything to do with the other but I imagine that they would bounce policy issues off each other, and follow a like logic.

OK I'm sorry, I hate to do this because I don't like posts that correct someone's spelling but since the Manual people seem to get so upset about swapping an "e" for an "a" I have to do it because it is driving me crazy. (Some would say it's not a drive but a short putt)

 

A principal is the person in charge of a school

A principle is a basic truth or idea

OK I'm sorry, I hate to do this because I don't like posts that correct someone's spelling but since the Manual people seem to get so upset about swapping an "e" for an "a" I have to do it because it is driving me crazy. (Some would say it's not a drive but a short putt)

 

A principal is the person in charge of a school

A principle is a basic truth or idea

Sorry I was a Math Science Tech guy and spelling is a area I am weak in. However if people were constantly spelling Trinity as Trenity I bet it would bother you too. But hey if it makes you feel like a better person I hope I made you feel good today.
I know that many if not most private school students recieve some form of aid, the problem is that it has the apperence to many that some kids would/could not attend those schools if they had to pay, and they think that they are effectively athletic scholarships. That may not be the case but that is the sticking point.

This is the most ludicrous part of this whole thing. I have yet to hear anyone credible say that private schools award financial aid based on athletic ability but rather that to those outside the schools involved it appears that students are being given aid based on athletic ability. The private school are being put through all of this because of the PERCEPTION of doing something wrong.

 

If any of these proposals pass I never want to hear anyone from any public school crow about how superior they are because all parties with in them are protected by due process and some wrong doing must be proven before any actions against them is taken.

This is the most ludricrous part of this whole thing. I have yet to hear anyone credible say that private schools award finincial aid based on athletic ability but rather that to those outside the schools involved it appears that students are being given aid based on athletic ability. The private school are being put through all of this because of the PERCEPTION of doing something wrong.

 

If any of these proposals pass I never want to hear anyone from any public school crow about how superior they are because all parties with in them are protected by due process.

The first lesson I ever had in politics was that the appearence of impropriety is as dangerous as a real impropriety, since it is almost impossible to prove a negitive. There is no such thing as due process in public opinion. Sad but true. While it is unfair, the burden of proof lies with privates to prove to the public at large that for every Non-Catholic athlete from a bad neighborhood that goes to the private school on need based aid, there is also another Non-Catholic non-athlete student from the same bad neighborhood in the same situation that is getting aid as well. As it stands the image on the street is that the good athletes or exceptional student might get to go to private school with aid, but no aid is offered to the normal kids. Until it is apparent and it is well understood that financial aid is not tied to the promise of athletic preformance, then it will be an issue. Fair or not.
  • Author

I am still of the opinion that the majority of public schools don’t lack the means to compete but rather lack the desire to compete and are using this issue as a means to make the KHSAA a B Level or watered down athletic association so they can compete for championships.

 

It’s not that public schools don’t have the talent or the coaching but most schools lack the long term vision and drive to establish a winning program. Just look at Davies County cross country, Woodford County wrestling, PRP baseball, Male football just to name a few, the people involved with these programs put in the extra hours and the do the little things that it takes to be the best. You get the right people involved you can have these types of programs at Eastern and even Manual, just look at the success of their football program over the last couple of years. They might not have the title of being in the “Big 3” but they have one hell of a program and are only getting better.

 

Why are we, both public and private school followers, going to stand by and let these “higher powers” make all public schools look as if they are taking the easy road to success, kick the top programs out and bring the rest of the field down to their level. That is exactly what they are doing and those that don’t speak up are just as guilty as Sexton and the others

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.